• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

playing from the woods

Blueram21

In this scenario, the hole is not a woods hole, but the woods lines the right side of the fairway. I throw my drive and it really turns over, ending up 50 ft deep in the densest of trees/shrubs. Am I just stuck taking 3-4 shots to get out of the thick stuff or is there a rule that allows me to take a penalty to bring the disc out of the woods?

I would suggest that you learn a roller or throw a different disc to fix/prevent the scenario. I don't believe that there is a rule allowing you bring the disc out of the woods (if there was I would probably use it at least once a round).

Edit: ^ beat me to it.
The only rules I think think that apply would be:
803.02 Optional Relief and Optional Re-throw
A. Optional Relief. A player may elect at any time to take optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie which is no closer to the target, and is on the line of play. One penalty throw shall be added to the player's score.
B. Optional Re-throw. A player may elect at any time to re-throw from the previous lie. The original throw plus one penalty throw shall be counted in the player's score.

A. doesn't seem likely to be a helpful option for the situation in the OP.
B. might be the best option.

Last edited:
You can ALWAYS retee or rethrow from your previous lie with a penalty stroke.

It's an especially good rule to remember when you miss a short putt, but get a brutal rollaway that could end up in three strokes.

In CASUAL play, for pace of play and accommodation of skill, some will use a stroke penalty and treat the dense woods as 'out of bounds'. Player would recover disc and make next throw from where it went off the fairway. (depending on the situation, the spot can be pretty loose for the throw)

803.02 Optional Relief and Optional Re-throw
A. Optional Relief. A player may elect at any time to take optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie which is no closer to the target, and is on the line of play. One penalty throw shall be added to the player's score.

I never thought about this before, but the wording of this rule seems to indicate that at the cost of a penalty stroke, you could take your disc out of the woods and place it right in the middle of the fairway, as long as the spot was "no closer to the target" than you were while in the woods. Am I reading that right? If so, it seems like this might be a very useful rule to know on heavily wooded courses. :)

Only if the new lie in the fairway is on the line of play from your original lie to the basket. So in theory, if you are on a dogleg and crash the inside of the turn you could move backwards with penalty to the fairway. This would not be the case on a straight hole, as the lie would just move you back farther in the woods along the fairway.

Last edited:
I never thought about this before, but the wording of this rule seems to indicate that at the cost of a penalty stroke, you could take your disc out of the woods and place it right in the middle of the fairway, as long as the spot was "no closer to the target" than you were while in the woods. Am I reading that right? If so, it seems like this might be a very useful rule to know on heavily wooded courses. :)

You left out a key point as Brutus pointed out the line of play. The line of play goes from the center of the basket and runs through the center of your disc in a straight line. So you can't go from the wooded right side of the rough to the middle of the fairway, you can only go directly backwards on the same straight line from the basket through your disc.

Thanks. That's how I play the rule, but just wanted to make sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's an especially good rule to remember when you miss a short putt, but get a brutal rollaway that could end up in three strokes.

That is an especially brutal rollaway. Really only applicable if you roll OB.

Or a spit through from about 15' on a steep hill. I'd rather take my chances re-putting than having to settle a 50-60' putt on that same hill.

In the putt scenario, what if you roll far away and go OB? Would you have to take a penalty stroke for the OB and the rethrow(putt)? Or would this be a prime example of when to execute the rethrow?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk