• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing wooded courses

Johnnytothec said:
GorillaTactics said:
The course I play most has a lot of tree tunnels as well...I just picked up a new Star TL (in bright pink, oh yeah!!) and it RULES for straight tunnel shots. Stable but with almost no fade. Money for those tiny error margins where you don't want a skip at the end of your flight.

Agreed. I love the star TL for straight tunnel shots. When I throw it about 6' in the air with 5* of hyser, it flips to level, and just goes and goes on a straight line with minimal fade at the end. Even if it is a 500' tunnel shot hole, I will not throw more disc than a TL on a 6' line. That line will only get me 330, but 330 down the middle is a lot better then trying for 400 and getting 200 before you kick deep into the woods.

Exactly. I've gone for too much before and been in situations where it took 2 throws just to get back to the fairway. Ugh. I'm not as good or consistent as plenty of guys who can just huck the disc 500' on a frozen rope, so I play tunnel holes a little more conservative.... scores have dropped as a result.

Here is a "Woods" hole for you. This is #16 at Kingwood, TX. It's also the longest hole. 326 feet to the basket.

DSCF0009.jpg

Midnightbiker said:
Here is a "Woods" hole for you. This is #16 at Kingwood, TX. It's also the longest hole. 326 feet to the basket.

[/quote]

The most intimidating woods hole I've played was at Pier Park in Portland, OR. It didn't have any of the "prison" bushes that can get you in serious trouble, but this hole definitely wins the award for psyching you out.

http://www.notroman.com/gallery/aug17-27_pp/oregon_63

Notice the basket in the middle of the picture. You can see it, it's straight ahead. Enough to give you hope to go for it.

This is the hole I learned the "there are no trees" method on. Just take your trusty straight disc, relax, and let it rip.

The Natural said:
I play a LOT int the woods here in new england. Tolland in particular. I throw lots of mid ranges and xl shots. The skip off of a tree hit just isn't as bad with a mid or a putter so I do my best to stick to those shots.

playing in new england, i havent played a course that was "open", except when I was in Houston for a week, and California for a week. all the courses here are heavily wooded and require immense control to navigate the fairways

as such, if the tunnel is especially low or narrow, its a putter or a midrange for me

just play for the easy 3....a couple of 150-200' midrange/putter shots and then a putt in is way better than going for the 350' shot right down the tunnel, fading off or kicking off the fairway, pitching to the fairway, upshot, and then putt.

I'd throw my buzzz right up there

Aaron_D said:
I play in the woods all the time and lemme tell you...a consistent 250' straight shot is your best friend. I throw a roc or putter off like 75-85% of the tees because of all the reasons stated above. Its always some old schooler who hyzerflips beat dx leopards or some obscure out of production disc that steals the show in the woods. Big arms reign on open courses....but hell, even then those crazy old schoolers just sink every 50'er. Bottom line: old school ftw.

Best of both worlds is what I wanna be :)

Yo Luke or Morgan, can we get some peninsula pictures up in here? #10 from the Blues would be nice, especially since you guys have been working on that section of the course this year.

Of course , who can forget #9 in Kingwood. I think its the hardest hole on that course, even though is only 288 ft:

Kingwoodhole9.jpg

This is a private course just north of the Houston area called "Shawshank". I haven't played there yet , but here is one of the pics from a recent tournament. This is hole #5. This looks like an interesting hole. :shock:

Shawshank.jpg

Midnightbiker said:
This is a private course just north of the Houston area called "Shawshank". I haven't played there yet , but here is one of the pics from a recent tournament. This is hole #5. This looks like an interesting hole. :shock:

Shawshank.jpg

Man, I'd rock that hole! There is a woods patch near my house that looks just like that. 15-20 year old trees, looks like they were planted in rows. I practice my woods shots in there all the time, especially throwing through the 5-10ft tunnels with my putters. I saw that picture and immediately knew what I would throw.

Pen holes.

Hole 6, Red pad to A pin- If you look at the tree in the middle of the pic, the gap is to the right of it, and straight for 466. Don't worry, it's a par 4.
400518185_1ca7a9594c.jpg

Hole 8, Red pad to B pin - 402, straight, tight, and NASTY rough.
400516696_ed6d4d70bb.jpg

Hole 10, Blue pad to B pin- Straight, then uphill and to the right. 560. Hardest hole in the woods on the course.
400512751_7d36749f54.jpg

Midnightbiker said:

Shawshank.jpg

Doesn't look at long though. Someone who can throw a straight thumber should be able to get there.

Craig said:
Furthur said:
Doesn't look at long though. Someone who can throw a straight thumber should be able to get there.

I don't throw thumbers much. How do you throw a straight thumber? What disc do you use?

I can't throw them. Waiting for MDR to chime in here; I watched him throw quite a few of those in Iowa City on some of the wooded courses down there.

Instead of going up and down, it goes forward and turns. you can throw it, get it to pan, skip, and turn right (well, left for me, since I throw them left handed).

Craig said:
Furthur said:

I don't throw thumbers much. How do you throw a straight thumber? What disc do you use?

Use something pretty understable, so it flips quick, and just throw it down the tunnel like a football. It should hold a pretty straight line with little left to right movement.

I dunno the distance there, but I'd throw a putter dead straight down the middle. Doesn't look all that bad compared to some holes in KY, to be honest.