• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Polecat type lids and newer discs like Foxbat or Nova

Photoguy

Par Member
I'm a lid fan. I don't have a huge arm and the courses I play tend to be heavily treed. So a lid like a polecat or a rattler can save me from a bad drive or an unlucky lie from a treehit.

There seem to be a couple newer discs that sound pretty lid-like. The Nova and the Foxbat are the two that come to mind offhand. Anyone with "lid" experience have any thoughts about how these newer discs compare to more classic lid molds?

The Foxbot is a midrange, similar to a Mako. The Nova is deep rimmed but I don't know if I would call it a lid. But both do fly very neural.

I've thrown the Nova, and I was surprised how straight with little effort it was. It seems more fast than glidey to me though. It is fairly lidlike in flight and feels fairly deep dished compared to the Aviar mainly because of the shoulder. It's also stellar at hit and stick.

Speed (perhaps vs glide) being the main difference makes sense. But the neutral flight, particularly as far as LSS, is what has me interested.

I love the way the Nova flies, but it's a real challenge to throw. I'm 6'8", and it feels like my hands are too small for it. I also agree that it feels pretty fast for a putter. It needs quite a bit of air compared to the Polecat.

Even look at a DX Aviar that's beadless (P&A for softer plastic, Classic for harder). It's certainly far from a new mold like you are talking about, but the classic is the straightest zero-fade disc I have ever thrown. It's slightly faster than a polecat and the rim is a bit thicker so it feels more like a golf disc than a lid in your grip...although it's still a very deep putter.

I mean special, as in stellar, not unique. I've never thrown an Aviar that flies like them despite how they look. Not to take anything away from the Aviar by any means.

Is throwing a nova something like throwing a rattler in terms of feel? I know the deep dish of lids like that or the super puppy can be annoying in some hands.

There's a lonely Nova at my local DG shop that I keep thinking I should pick up and make the comparison for myself. It is in the most godawful green/purple color combo. I'm not a stickler for color, but wooo, ugh.

Then again, the Nova is such an aesthetically challenged disc anyway, maybe I should go all out. Is something like yellow/blue or red/white REALLY all that much better looking in this instance?

</end silly post>

Novas are very straight even at very low speeds. To me the flight is halfway between a lid and an Aviar P&A. I love the way it hovers down flat when it runs out of steam. It's currently my go to putter and just love the flight. The only issue for me is that the feel is a little deeper than I would prefer. I keep going back a forth on trying something else with a smaller rim. I've tried a few but keep going back to the Nova because of the straight flight.

I also keep a foxbat in the bag. This is another super low fade disc. Mine has significant turn, huge glide and zero fade. Many discs that turn at least try to come back at the end. When the Foxbat goes right it's not coming back. It's my go to disc for right turning shots. You can even throw it high in the air and it won't fade left - very unique disc in my opinion.

Novas are very straight even at very low speeds. To me the flight is halfway between a lid and an Aviar P&A. I love the way it hovers down flat when it runs out of steam. It's currently my go to putter and just love the flight. The only issue for me is that the feel is a little deeper than I would prefer. I keep going back a forth on trying something else with a smaller rim. I've tried a few but keep going back to the Nova because of the straight flight.

I also keep a foxbat in the bag. This is another super low fade disc. Mine has significant turn, huge glide and zero fade. Many discs that turn at least try to come back at the end. When the Foxbat goes right it's not coming back. It's my go to disc for right turning shots. You can even throw it high in the air and it won't fade left - very unique disc in my opinion.

Dang! Your whole post makes me super interested in trying out both discs.

Nothing too facinating in this post. There are more/better Nova threads to find. But I thought I'd jot down a few of my thoughts as the Nova relates to the "lid" spot in my bag.

Picked up that Nova today (weight = 172) and took it out for a casual "try stuff out" round.

As has been pointed out, yeah, it's NOT a lid. The neutral flight does give it some similar characteristics. But it doesn't really throw/fly like one. I found the Nova to be...touchy? Sort of a like a comet-putter. It demanded a lot more smoothness than I was expecting. At least the way I throw, lids don't require that of me as much. Sure, you can overmuscle a lid if you're that type of thrower. But I have a lot of love for the wristy finesse shot. So I really enjoy polecats/rattlers/etc.

The Nova is a really interesting disc though. Driving was tough. Getting a clean release requires a smooth throw. Upshots are fascinating for the ability to park a disc right at the basket. I had a hard time ranging it and tended to underthrow a bit. But I'm using it in place of a 150 Polecat that is much glidey-er (that's not a word). Plus, there isn't much skip/skitter on the ground even on low shots. Overall, with some practice my ranging should improve. Putting is decent. After just one round of messing and some practice basket tossing, I still like my regular putters better. Still, I could see how someone would really get into putting with the Nova. Particularly if they were a spin putter.

Speaking of that, it really seems to like spin. Too little and you can really lose that "flies straight/drops straight down" coolness.

The Nova did not fit my hand well and did not make the bag. The Foxbat is in my bag and is a very useful disc. very straight if thrown with slight hyzer and if thrown flat, the foxbat will turn slightly and stay on that line. No fade at all on the end. Very good disc and would recommend trying one.

Is throwing a nova something like throwing a rattler in terms of feel? I know the deep dish of lids like that or the super puppy can be annoying in some hands.

I haven't picked up anything that feels like a Rattler. That said, the Nova has at least temporarily supplanted the Rattler in my bag. I'm not sure it's permanent yet, but there are aspects of the Nova which are endearing, chiefly the aforementioned 'hit-and-stick'. I was using the Rattler as a long range 'lob' putter and under 175' anny disc, but was scared of it in the wind. I'm finding the Nova to a be a similar performer in my hands for those roles and slightly faster for an uptick in wind handling. I splashed out using the Nova a lot this past week though... could that ever have anything to do with the mold? Anyways, I digress. I like the Rattler - and the Nova, but they feel quite different in hand.

The Nova intriques me. I have yet to throw one. The Foxbat, which I have thrown only a few times came across as under stable. So under stable it's actually beneath under stable, under-under stable.

I've used a nova from the start as my main putter and upshot disc. I love how I can just get it to fly straight and just die with a nose up throw. Takes some practice to get that range dialed in as it is different but once you have it it's money. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is so deep and I have small hands. Every once in a while it just comes out funny because of this. I'm currently trying a summit to see if I want to switch and am undecided...

I am not a nova fan. The McPro and Rpro (soon to be g*) aviar and KC Pro and G* beaded aviar take care of all my putting needs. I was also skeptical of the foxbat at first. I tried a friends 170 and it was fun. A little more forgiving to too much power than a DX Wolf or Stingray, but still as flippy and in premium plastic. I bought a 180g thinking it would help with it turning over too much, but that disc ended up flying just about the same as my mako3. I liked the lines I could make with the 170, so I tried one more, a 175 F2. This one was perfect. Hyzer flips close to leopard distance, and stays right when thrown flat or anhyzer no matter how little snap you give it. That disc was so perfect that I overthrew it into a clump of kudzu you could lose a house in.

Since then I have been searching for another one I like as much. I got a used 171 first run, and it is too flippy unless I am throwing a stand still finesse type shot. The next 175 f2 I got feels great in hand due to less dome, but it has nowhere near the glide of the other Foxbats I have.

Latest posts