• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Polecat

See post #175.

Well phooey. Theirs was first by a month.
I don't remember theirs and I definitely didn't consciously use it as a guide for mine.
I'm very open about my design process; here is the sequential process video for that project. You can see my character design phase and the Google image photo I used to help get me there.

Any similarity to the Innova version is accidental.

@Marmoset Those kitties are so NICE! Are you planning to do another run? I missed out on the other ones unfortunately :(

Try to get KC Kittens run please. Pretty please.

Yes or at least stiff R-Pro, like the limited run stiff R-Pro Pig and even more limited Rhyno. A stiff plastic that is not a premium would be nice for those who want a stiff lid, lids work best when made in stiff plastics. Since current XT is like between stiff R-Pro used for Wahoo, and the discs above just not nearly as durable and regular R-Pro just a tad stiffer R-Pro, the plastic is not as stiff for the Polecat disc as it once was for limited runs.

Last edited:
I do suspect that the idea of a KC Polecat might be better than the reality though.

I say we keep trying until we get the right blend.

Yes or at least stiff R-Pro, like the limited run stiff R-Pro Pig and even more limited Rhyno. A stiff plastic that is not a premium would be nice for those who want a stiff lid, lids work best when made in stiff plastics. Since current XT is like between stiff R-Pro used for Wahoo, and the discs above just not nearly as durable and regular R-Pro just a tad stiffer R-Pro, the plastic is not as stiff for the Polecat disc as it once was for limited runs.

If you want a stiff Polecat, buy a DX. They're amazing. Focus, man. Stiff R-Pro is about as durable as regular R-Pro. Great for Pigs and Rhynos that can stand to lose stability faster. Not good for Polecats.

I say we keep trying until we get the right blend.

If you want a stiff Polecat, buy a DX. They're amazing. Focus, man. Stiff R-Pro is about as durable as regular R-Pro. Great for Pigs and Rhynos that can stand to lose stability faster. Not good for Polecats.

But then why make a regular R-Pro Pole Cat in the first place? I mean the R-Pro plastic runs from very floppy Gumputt like plastic to being like the old flexible Pro plastic for the Rhyno in most runs after 2010.

But then why make a regular R-Pro Pole Cat in the first place? I mean the R-Pro plastic runs from very floppy Gumputt like plastic to being like the old flexible Pro plastic for the Rhyno in most runs after 2010.

You are recommending a great mold with a very small but rabid fanbase being made in a plastic that makes most people immediately ignore whatever the disc is.

I figured this was the place to ask (as opposed to the lid lovers thread).

As far as lids, I basically started with the Polecat and never gave anything else a chance because it's too good at what it does. But if you weren't throwing a Polecat, what other lid would you be throwing? Is there anything else I actually ought to try?

As far as lids, I basically started with the Polecat and never gave anything else a chance because it's too good at what it does. But if you weren't throwing a Polecat, what other lid would you be throwing? Is there anything else I actually ought to try?
Sonic for me... if you want a DG lid. The dog discs SuperHero and SuperStar are premium plastic versions of the same mold.

Yikun Claws is supposed to be very Polecat-ish but have more HSS. I haven't thrown one yet.

For non DG lids, the UltraStar is great and a no-brainer.

Also the Wham-O Freestyle is relatively unknown and has fantastic HSS. It is slightly smaller diameter and weighs 160g. I highly recommend this one.

People complain about ProD (for a reason...FIX IT, DISCRAFT!!! :mad: ) but the Rattler is a great disc and should be tried. You just have to buy two for every one Polecat because...ProD. :mad:

Sonic for me... if you want a DG lid. The dog discs SuperHero and SuperStar are premium plastic versions of the same mold.

Yikun Claws is supposed to be very Polecat-ish but have more HSS. I haven't thrown one yet.

For non DG lids, the UltraStar is great and a no-brainer.

Also the Wham-O Freestyle is relatively unknown and has fantastic HSS. It is slightly smaller diameter and weighs 160g. I highly recommend this one.

For some reason I've never been a fan of fastbacks. (however, I've never tried a Sonic, or Koda's famous Doggy Style).

Speaking of the Ultrastar, have any of you actually bagged it as part of a full disc golf setup? I love throwing one, but I feel like disc golf lids (Polecat for me) carry the course load better. Maybe I just haven't given it a chance.

People complain about ProD (for a reason...FIX IT, DISCRAFT!!! :mad: ) but the Rattler is a great disc and should be tried. You just have to buy two for every one Polecat because...ProD. :mad:

Has Discraft ever done alternate plastics for the Rattler? Elite X or old school TP? X, even X soft, would certainly be tempting.

Has Discraft ever done alternate plastics for the Rattler? Elite X or old school TP? X, even X soft, would certainly be tempting.
They ran ESP Rattlers for the Memorial this year. I'm not sure about any other plastics.

In the 90's the plastic that was in the ProD slot for Discraft was called "Competition" plastic and it did not suck like ProD does. A really old-school Rattler would be better than a current run, but you don't see those every day.

You can't go wrong with a The Upshot. I own a couple old glows and the plastic is butter (a soft but durable DX type). They fly like an US PC.
Birdies are better wind fighters and don't have the PC glide which can be a positive. Premie birdies are fun discs for heavy wooded rounds.
Zephyrs are slow, accurate flyers. Some of the coolest, wood shots i have tossed have been with a light Zephyr/Makani. You can work cool, Hyzer-flip shots at slower speeds.
Rattlers are smaller frisbees. The depth can throw me off if i have not handled one in awhile. The baselines have great lid glide.
The Doggy Style flies nice. It feels good in the hand and comes in a nice ER'ish plastic. These can fly far.
The Big Dog is deep and surprisingly OS. It does not want to glide. It wants to fade hard.
Sonics are cool, but i don't like them on the course. It's a personal thing.
I just started bagging a Whitler (with my PC tucked inside) and it's been a fun addition. It somehow knows when it's close to chains.