• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Polecat

I've been trying to recommend a couple molds that aren't the Polecat, and I can't narrow it down. The Birdie and Sonic are great. The Bite and Doggy Style are too. The Rattler's fun but close to the Polecat. You really should try them all.

FWIW, I never meshed with the Rattler. I gave it a fair shot several times, just couldn't get it to perform as well as the Polecat. It never felt right in my hand, too roundy and deep (which probably sounds hypocritical since I like UltraStars). Maybe if it matched my hand better I'd like it more.

You can't go wrong with a The Upshot. I own a couple old glows and the plastic is butter (a soft but durable DX type). They fly like an US PC.
This. I really love my Upshots. To me they feel a little deeper than Polecats, which to me is a very slight negative, but I love the more understable flight. Stiffness varies widely from disc to disc; I have very soft ones and very stiff ones. If you order from GGGT you can specify which you prefer.

This. I really love my Upshots. To me they feel a little deeper than Polecats, which to me is a very slight negative, but I love the more understable flight. Stiffness varies widely from disc to disc; I have very soft ones and very stiff ones. If you order from GGGT you can specify which you prefer.

I will backup the underlined part as you can ask for specific things on the site I have done that as well for a recent Lighting Disc.

I threw the Upshot for years; it's the doublegeek effect of throwing a lid AND a Lightning disc.

picture.php

I actually only took it out of the bag because I'm throwing the marmoset Polecat and even I can't pull off two lids. I find the Polecat to be a couple ticks more stable than the Upshot, but that could be because that Upshot is pretty old. It is for sure deeper than a Polecat.

Last edited:
I threw the Upshot for years; it's the doublegeek effect of throwing a lid AND a Lightning disc.

picture.php

I actually only took it out of the bag because I'm throwing the marmoset Polecat and even I can pull off two lids. I find the Polecat to be a couple ticks more stable than the Upshot, but that could be because that Upshot is pretty old. It is for sure deeper than a Polecat.

If I had known about this mold sooner, I would have tried it in place of the Putt'r I liked the disc just not the plastic, that is all wrong for the Putt'r as discs get concave so much that a spin only is used due to inner shape of the wing/edge also I liked the more modern plastic with DuPont added to the mold, was a stiffer plastic then the older non glow that old baseline was flexible from Lighting, a tick more then current Pro D. The Pole Cat a great disc is not for me, the wing/edge to top is a bit sharp at 90 degrees for me. No the Upshot was more line with a Discraft Rattler in flight just not as deep as a Rattler, if I remember right.

The other lid like disc that needs to be made is a Rubber Putter like disc without the wing more dome in that section of nose like a big bowl type disc. That would be a unique disc, that is for technical US putting and approach on wooded courses where the forehand approach movement is not an option space wise.

Last edited:
Newbie question: When people refer to a disc as a "lid", are they simply relating the term to the unique shape of these disc molds?

Newbie question: When people refer to a disc as a "lid", are they simply relating the term to the unique shape of these disc molds?

from the infinitediscs.com disc golf dictionary

Lid – This term is used to describe Frisbees or discs with thin rims that float and fly more like traditional freestyle discs. Discs like the Discraft Rattler, Innova Birdie, Polecat, and Sonic are prime examples of "lids".

Hate the Polecat. I can throw it okay, but don't like the way it feels.
My girl can't throw it. It comes out of her hand wobbly every time.

Basically it means that the edge, or wing of the disc is flat, like a lid to a container.

This. For example, if you've ever bought a can of peanuts, the general shape of the top of that is the prototypical lid. They're usually pretty floaty and somewhere from slightly understable to straight stable (the disc golf version, not the top to the can of peanuts). In practice, something like a polecat is super neutral, so you can throw it with a lot of power and it will still just keep going straight. The downside is they tend to have less fade so they're not as forgiving if you torque them into nothingness.

Realized my previous reply was in response to a minor necro, so to respond to Halbrust.... give the 'cat a chance? I don't bag it regularly, but it's up there on my list of one round discs (caveat: backhand mostly, not too much wind... so putter only type rounds). My GF and I have been using one for catch, and next round she joins for, she'll be throwing it in place of the aviar/roc combo I've put in the bag for her previously, since it excels as a more reliable catch-like disc and she's been throwing it on a laser-line every day in the park.

Try the R-Pro if you don't want the fade. Just be careful around trees. The R-Pro Pole cat I had was super straight but was super fragile. It's definitely a different animal from the DX.

And You do need to look around to not find one that is as floppy as a modern Gumputt or Blowfly/II. Some Runs of R-Pro Pole cat have such floppy plastic the mold is not usable and need to look for the lesser runs.

I throw my lids with a three finger modified fan grip or two finger hook grip. If you try a traditional fan or power grip it might get some wobble. Also, if you like a polecat bit wish it were a touch more stable look at the Yikun Claws. The slight slant of the rim makes it easier for some to throw.

Latest posts