• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll: How often do you wash your discs?

How often do you wash your discs?

• After every round

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Once every few rounds

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Once in a blue moon

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • What a weird question. Who washes discs anyway.

Votes: 61 35.9%

• Total voters
Don't listen to these haters, Casey. They're a bunch of disc washers anyway. :|

Okay I do wash discs from time to time if they need it, Impact due to the rim when needed, then the rare disc where I am using putters in the same color, I like a more beat in disc of same model for longer putts.

Last edited:
During mud season, they get washed pretty much after every round.

During the summer, maybe once a month, just to get the tack back on some and the sweat off the others.

I wash my premium plastic discs.
I take sand paper and lighters to the baselines and i leave the grit on them.

I heard if you eat poison ivy you become immune to it.

Add some nettles, and night shade, and you have a nice salad. :rolleyes:

My neighbor when I was kid, nice older lady, was absent mindedly chewing on a stalk of "grass" while talking to my mom that turned out to be poison ivy. That rash inside your mouth and down your throat... no bueno. Required a hospital stay IIRC.

I find it SUPER satisfying, therapeutic, and relaxing to wash my discs. Typically I run a hot shallow bath and put all of my discs in to soak. Then one at a time I remove and wipe them down. Sometimes they need a wipe and a second soak if they're particularly gross. White discs always amaze me with how much grime comes off, I feel like I throw them better after a good clean.
Then I organize them by flight and put them back in my bag. Sometimes I'll take some out and replace discs I haven't been throwing.

////Resurrected////

I haven't washed discs. I haven't even washed disc towels. The comments about morning dew and wet rounds, followed by a towel are very true. I do see pros who obsessively towel down discs after every shot. And then they grab a birdiewhale bag and smack the dust right back on. And then lick their fingers, grab dirt and wipe their pants. Seems like most of that routine is solved with shoving the disc straight into the bag, then licking fingers the next throw.

If a disc lands in a poison ivy patch, I'll rinse it off with water before putting it back in the bag. Otherwise, I don't care if they're dirty.

The poll doesn't provide an appropriate answer.

As needed.

I play on the weekend at dawn. Frequently there is dew on the ground. I've noticed my bag smelling like mildew as well as my discs. I clean them accordingly.

I haven't commented here in a couple of years, but let me add another example. Our local putting league took place in an auto garage and a few of my putters got a little oil on them from being in contact with the cement floor. Definitely took some dish soap to them in that instance. I like tackiness.

Don't worry; I never used my real go-to putters for that league. They don't touch cement floors where leaky cars sit.

I haven't washed the whole bag in over 10 years, but sometimes soak an individually muddy disc, or put a found stained disc in the dishwasher.

Somebody told me that grass residue helps the plastic last longer. That seemed doubtful to me but after thinking about it, I put together the following bro science…

Grass stains are mostly chlorophyll. Chlorophyll filters UV rays. UV rays breakdown plastic. Washing discs will remove the chorophyll stains on your disc and the plastic will breakdown faster.

Somebody told me that grass residue helps the plastic last longer. That seemed doubtful to me but after thinking about it, I put together the following bro science…

Grass stains are mostly chlorophyll. Chlorophyll filters UV rays. UV rays breakdown plastic. Washing discs will remove the chorophyll stains on your disc and the plastic will breakdown faster.

Bro question: Isn't it better to let your discs degrade at a uniform rate? Grass stains aren't distributed on a disc evenly. Just saying, lol.

Bro question: Isn't it better to let your discs degrade at a uniform rate? Grass stains aren't distributed on a disc evenly. Just saying, lol.

Chlorophyll turns red under UV light! I asked my wife to bring her UV flashlight home from work. I will report back.

As a complete newbie I used to wash my discs because my first playing partner did. But I stopped after maybe a month or so when I realized it was unnecessary. Now it only happens after a potential poison ivy encounter, which is an exceedingly rare occurrence for me.

As for what to do with wet discs (after a snowy, rainy, or dewy round), I just unpack all the discs from my bag and leave them laying out in the basement to air dry. I also turn the empty bag upside down to aid in air-drying the bottom of it. No idea why someone would use soap to clean water off of discs...just dry 'em out, folks.

No idea why someone would use soap to clean water off of discs...just dry 'em out, folks.

As you mentioned Poison Ivy, oil, or swamp muck stench.

A disc sitting at the bottom or a pond for months will develop a fairly nice level of bio-film.

But normal day to day, just dip it in a steam, wipe the mud off on grass and move on.