• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post a NOT cool disc golf photo

Just a couple pics of all of the Ash trees that had to come down on my property after the Emerald Ash Borer infestation ran its course. They've been dead for a couple of years so a lot of the branches have already come down. W just had the trees cut down as several of them were widow makers... they just sheer off and come crashing to the ground. I didn't want this to happen when anyone was around. I'm OK with a chainsaw, but brought in the pros to take all of these down. There were at least 40 Ash that had to come down along with about a dozen other trees that were just old, damaged, etc.

picture.php

picture.php

Damn....just devastating. Ash borer is the worst natural disaster I have ever personally witnessed. It makes me weep, like the Indian (sorry, native america...who was not really native america) guy in the litter commercial, in days of yore.

Damn Jim, I feel for you man.
Definitely not the way you were hoping to break your course record. :(

I've been burning dead ash trees (for heat) for 5 or 6 years now. The real shame is there are so many that I'll never be able to burn all them before they rot.

The good news is there are so many other species on my course it hasn't had a negative impact.

Just a couple pics of all of the Ash trees that had to come down on my property after the Emerald Ash Borer infestation ran its course.

Dang Jim - that seriously suxxors.

Is there any possibility that the felled trees might open interesting new lines?

Dang Jim - that seriously suxxors.

Is there any possibility that the felled trees might open interesting new lines?

This was a densely wooded area and multiple fairways kind of skirted around the edges of it. So if you're off the fairway now you might have a more open recovery shot.

I haven't t even thought about looking at new lines yet. The trees have only been down a couple weeks and I just started cutting some wood around the edges this weekend. So we shall see.

Damn....just devastating. Ash borer is the worst natural disaster I have ever personally witnessed. It makes me weep, like the Indian (sorry, native america...who was not really native america) guy in the litter commercial, in days of yore.
the pine beetle is doing a lot of damage to the rockies too, which makes me tear up a little when i see it
pine-beetle-damage-wide-shot-cdn-forest-service-635x357.jpg

I used to teach an interactive intro to herpetology class for an outdoor ed program, and we had coral snakes on our 1,100 acre property (among many other venomous and non-venomous snakes), here's a few fun facts about coral snakes:

They are much less aggressive than their other venomous counterparts (water moccasin/cottonmouth, copperhead, and most rattlesnakes which are not really that aggressive hence the rattle so you'll just leave them alone).

They are the only North American venomous stake that uses neurotoxin instead of hemotoxin (affects the nervous system and paralyzes your muscles, including your diaphragm; hemotoxins clot your blood and stop your heart)

They have lil heads compared to other snakes, so if you really harass one enough to where it will try to bite you (please don't they're generally kind and gentle) it can really only do real damage if it gets you between the fingers or toes. Your arms and legs are too broad for it to get a good bite.

Bonus fun fact: baby snakes are more dangerous than adult snakes because they can't regulate their venom, so they just inject it all at once

Bonus fun fact: baby snakes are more dangerous than adult snakes because they can't regulate their venom, so they just inject it all at once

I got pretty lucky a few years ago. There is a private course near hear called Cabin Creek that hosts Memorial and Labor Day events. One year it was raining and I had my boots on or I woulda got lit up by a young copperhead.

My approach shot landed next to a dry creek bed in a low area carved out by flash floods and was filled with weeds. I found my disc and drained my 20ft par putt. When I bent down to grab my disc, I noticed the little guy next to my right foot. I stood there for a minute or so cause I knew what it was the instant I saw it and I didn't know what to do. I tried sliding my foot back hoping he might still be asleep since it was kinda chilly with the rainy morning. As soon as my foot moved he struck and luckily caught the thick part of my boot around the top and then slithered away.

Scared the crap out of me and I jumped up on the green and took my boot off just to make sure...*insert"Whew"meme*

Red next to yellow, dangerous fellow . . .

. . . red next to black, can't hurt Jack

Or as I learned it:
Red touches yella, stay away fella
Red touches black, it's okay Jack.

Of course, it's just as easy to reverse them so I never found it that helpful ("okay fella?" "stay away Jack?"). Yours seems easier not to mess up since in one case it refers to the snake as the fellow and the other refers to the person as Jack.

There's seemingly no end to variations of this.
I learned:

Red on black, friend of Jack.
Red on yellow, kill a fellow.

Like I said, there's no end. You can make the damn things up...

There once was a literary hack.
Saw a snake colored yellow on black.
Picked it up rather mellow...
"You're not dangerous fellow.
Red on yellow means adios, Jack."

So for crying out loud, will somebody please post a picture of a flooded course or mangled basket already?