• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

I had (sadface) a few S-PDs that did get to the fresh P-Pd state. They were all domey. 1 freak and 2 shield stamps. They would go straight with good glide and mild fade. They wouldnt power down quite like a P line, thats for sure but for the shots I loved them for they were just as good.
Now I will just continue to love my CD2s instead.

Anyone use PD's as their go-to FH disc?

I definitely love to FH my Firebirds, but I'm looking for something controllable and less OS to get to 350-400.

I did for a bit but don't any longer. I love the disc but have just come to realize it works best for me as an overhand and backhand disc. The blunter nose of the firebird just feels more comfy, and I've always preferred my firebirds of the more mellow variety. Not down with the FAF as much as others.

C cd2 is what you want. Bottom wing is flatter and I think feels better in the hand than a pd. Give it a touch of shallow hyzer and pretty much a dead straight laser at the distance you're after.

I definitely love to FH my Firebirds, but I'm looking for something controllable and less OS to get to 350-400.

It's a great FH disc for sure, but that'd be a crushing laser FH with a PD. How far do you FH a Firebird on a flat line, and how far do you FH something faster like a Destroyer type disc that will give you a little turn/flex?

Agree with the CD2 recommendation, if you can find a stable one it's a more comfortable disc to forehand. I have a C-line and a Roaming Thunder that are both "PD-stable" and work great for forehand drives.

Innovastore is selling out the swirly Grady Shue PD, are they domey and OS as expected by a swirly-s disc?

Last edited:
It's a great FH disc for sure, but that'd be a crushing laser FH with a PD. How far do you FH a Firebird on a flat line, and how far do you FH something faster like a Destroyer type disc that will give you a little turn/flex?

I can FH a Firebird comfortably to 350ish.

Destroyers to a little over 400 if I really get on it.

I just want something that I know won't flip on me if I really put some power behind it, but also won't want to fade right away.

I can FH a Firebird comfortably to 350ish.

Destroyers to a little over 400 if I really get on it.

I just want something that I know won't flip on me if I really put some power behind it, but also won't want to fade right away.

Yeah that's big power. I think it would work for you, PD's I have thrown are very HSS. I'm more in the 300-315' range with a flatly released Firebird and Destroyers are 375', with 400' only on higher and perfect lines. Basically You have 40'ish more power for perspective.

I currently use a Thunderbird in that slot...used to use PD but prefer the Thundy for BH so it won...but either will be in the 330' range on a normal flat throw...I expect 25' or so more out of it than a Firebird. It falls to the low end of my Destroyer range, whereas the Destroyer would get floaty/skippy if I powered it down on a FH shot to that distance.

Basically I think it's a great option for you, but with your extra power I can't guarantee that you wouldn't see any turn out of it, or that you could stretch it to 400'. PD's can take a ton of power so maybe with the extra velocity you could make it happen, but I don't think it would burn on you at all.

A beat in XCal is also something you can think about if you have a used bin PIAS or something like that. Fresh they have a lot of fade, but when worked in they have a hint of turn and a milder late fade, they are like a speed 12 PD/Thunderbird flight. There's a reason Sexton uses them for his power FH shots while relying on Destroyers for BH. The XCal is way more of a laser for the HSS and the fade kind of flexes it out of the straight flight.

I do have a PDX, that's a great suggestion, haven't thrown it much yet.

The Excal is also a good idea, classic mold.

Thanks guys.

My forehand varies from somewhere shorter than you listed to somewhere longer. And I've only thrown older PD's that weren't terribly OS. I've also only thrown older Star Thunderbirds from a Halloween run they did a few years ago. But in my experience, those Star Thunderbirds were a more reliable option for the "mellow Firebird" than the ~5 S-line/C-Line PD's I've owned. A Champ OLF I briefly had was even closer to a Firebird.

Also, as slowplastic mentioned(I find that he's usually spot-on), an XCal might be worth looking into. I had never tried one until just the last couple months, and the two I now have both seem like they're going to be great. Initial throws seem like it really might be another case of that Teebird vs Eagle flight where an XCal is more straight with reliable fade, while Destroyers are more easily turned and maybe even have potentially more fade. Speaking of which, I have found that a Discmania DD tends to have less turn and equal or less fade compared to a Wraith...

The PDx would fit your bill. Not too fast, not too dumpy, but would go a mile straight with little turn when thrown with power. I'm re-experimenting with mine, too. I've had them since the first run of MF C-lines, just been out of the bag for about a year.

So i am starting to understand why some just stack up on P-PD, it is so hard to replace. The Barsby roadrunner is really promising but got a notable dome. Flat C-CD2 is closer to my C-PD and S-CD2 the guys on innovastore (EU) said all have a notable dome.
I have a feeling it is time to realise that i have to krank it up a bit and rely less on the discs doing the flying for me.

The PDx would fit your bill. Not too fast, not too dumpy, but would go a mile straight with little turn when thrown with power. I'm re-experimenting with mine, too. I've had them since the first run of MF C-lines, just been out of the bag for about a year.

I'm actually bagging a swirly-s PDx right now since i decided to stay at speed 11 and wanted something i could smash into a headwind and still would not turn. It is really beefy but also i would claim it does what it promises, at least fresh it is very overstable but still lets me push out a safe hyzer 330'ish, maybe 50' shorter than my hyzerflips.

The numbers feels almost too close to the PD for the bag but, if you like me dont want to go up to Destroyers or PD2, this one fills a gap with a rim i like.

Has anyone compared the stability of the Dark Maul Pd to the Roaming Thunder CD2? Are they similar?

I feel the roaming thunder won't turn new, and fades a little more. It's soft and flexible but a little slick in the cold.

The Dark maul seems to go farther. It also seems to maintain stability better into moderate wind, and has better grip.

Both feel similar new, but I think the PD will maintain stability longer.

Has anyone compared the stability of the Dark Maul Pd to the Roaming Thunder CD2? Are they similar?

I picked up both of these a couple months back at the same time and tested them side by side extensively.

Bright pink, somewhat domey Roaming Thunder CD2 flies pretty much the same as my seasoned/worn 3rd run C-PD. Straight with a strong finish, no high speed turn.

Aqua and relatively flat Dark Maul PD is significantly more overstable. Not as crazy as the latest embossed S-PD's, but it certainly wants to go left. Shorter than the CD2. For me, it would be a good replacement for a beat-in firebird. I would compare it to a Sexton firebird, the flight for me is almost identical.

What's the scoop on this Eagle S PD? The interwebs seem to be silent. Flat and nicely overstable but good glide. Not a pig like the newer embossed S lines. PIAS find.

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_182605.jpg
    IMG_20190327_182605.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 47
It's a black ink stamped Production one from the 2017 or earlier run. I believe it's likely the 2017 run. I have a couple of those with stock stamps and they are 5"the perfect S-PD.

Nothing special outside of a sponsership stamp from a pre embossed run. That run is pretty much sold out online now.

I'm sure the next ones won't be as crazy OS as the current ones.

I'm in love with what I think is a really beat in 7th run, it's also gotten very soft in the plastic (gummy champ feel). I was lucky enough to find two beat in and one almost fresh that I carry since my others fly like Cd2 if there's a slight headwind. :D

To be honest I bet all my work with cd3 and dd is almost wasted as I would have been fine with my PD that I assume now is practically a CD...

Attachments

• _20190328_002243.jpg
    _20190328_002243.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts