• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power grip

Hey guys brand new to the forum. Its great by the way.

Well anyway im a new disc golf started in may of this year.

And i cant for the life of me throw with a power grip. What i use now is a 2 finger grip. I throw my 2 finger grip 250-350. BUt the catch is i never know if its gonna go left, right or straight. It seems like once or twice a round i will throw a straight shot dead center with no fade about 300 feet down the center. So i must be doing something right

BUt anyhow any tips on this power grip. Because everytime i try to use a 4 finger power grip it goes way shorter than my 2 finger, and it seems to hyzer more to the left and go sky high.

What exactly do you mean by a 2-finger grip? You are throwing back-hand, right?

I'll admit, the power grip isn't for everyone. I can get a pretty good amount of power from a grip that is about halfway in-between a fan grip and the power grip. However, I would say that you definitely need to find a grip where you can put all 4 fingers on the disc. See if you can find the youtube video where David Feldberg explains the grip. That's a good place to start - then practice.

before I could consistently get some snap in my throw, the power grip was my worse enemy, the fork grip was my best friend. Check discgolfreview.com for some neat articles.

Here is the fork grip.
forkgrip01.jpg

On an unrelated note, there seems to be a lot of Sidewinder inspired nicknames on here nowadays.

got the same problem with the power grip cause i got tiny hands like that dude who cant eat a whopper jr. Anyway try the power grip again but this time remove your pinkie from the disc and tuck it into your palm.

i use the power grip and i can say it works ok for me but im going to change up my grip next time i throw and have my index finger on the rim of the disc to see if that gives me controlled distance with good accuracy. but your best bet is to change up your grip to find out which one is best for you.

the image below was taken from the innova website and is a different version of the powergrip

6qh7hf.jpg

Last edited:
The fork grip is almost exactly what I do. I agree that it would be a good transition to the power grip.

innova has that image on their website? I was always told that finger on the rim like that was a big no no on drives.

i use the power grip and i can say it works ok for me but im going to change up my grip next time i throw and have my index finger on the rim of the disc to see if that gives me controlled distance with good accuracy. but your best bet is to change up your grip to find out which one is best for you.

the image below was taken from the innova website and is a different version of the powergrip

6qh7hf.jpg

That is the grip I used for the majority of the years that I've played because I didn't know any better. With that grip I averaged around 270' on my drives, rarely if ever hitting 300'. When I changed to the 4-finger power grip I could instantly feel the potential. I was throwing around 300' after the first day, but was spraying them left and right. Grip lock was a problem for a little while, but I kept tweaking my form and practicing and now I never grip lock (knocks on wood) and after incorporating the x-step I'm around 370' now. Now I'm playing with some different distance lines and I can see the potential of hitting 400' by tweaking the angle of release, but again I'm having trouble with the accuracy when dealing with these new lines.

Long story short: switching to the four fingered power grip was the first step to adding 100' to my drives.

I use a three finger birdie grip and a three finger fork and occasionally a three finger power grip. RHBH. If you're not getting the distance and hyzering more then you probably aren't getting enough acceleration and proper timing to complement the stronger grip. Try some field work and see if you accidentally rip it a couple of times.

anyone have a picture of the best "4 finger power grip"? I generally have my index finger along the rim of the disc, it's the most comfortable for me. I definitely want to add distance to my drives, but I don't want to mess with my grip until I know what it truly should look like.

I used 2 fingers as in index and middle with my thumb on the top. One day I decided just to start throwing with the power grip. I had tried it before and would sky my shots and have little power. This time, the disc flew a little better and eventually gave me a lot more control and distance. Two fingers initially gave me more snap but once I started getting more and more, it eventually hindered me. I would say the key is having enough wrist snap.

I usually position my thumb right above where the rim ends so it would be a little more towards the edge of the disc than shown in that pic, but not much more...maybe half an inch. Not really sure what the best positioning for the thumb is though.

I usually position my thumb right above where the rim ends so it would be a little more towards the edge of the disc than shown in that pic, but not much more...maybe half an inch. Not really sure what the best positioning for the thumb is though.

Depends, usually you want your thumb right over the first knuckle of your index finger. If you slide it to the edge of the disc it makes it a bit easier to throw annies, slide it in towards the middle, hyzers.

I use to throw with a partial finger grip and I would have the same trouble of not being able to control whether my disc would turn over or not. Recently I started using the 4 finger power grip and I definitely have gained my control. At first my distance suffered a little but know that I am getting use to it I am right back to around 320'.

is your thumb always on the disc or does it usually go along the rim? I don't have my thumb that far towards the middle. Am I missing out?
Having your thumb forward and the disc oriented correctly in your hand is what's really important. If you have everything else right then where your thumb ends up on the disc probably won't make a big difference unless it messes something else up.

Interesting, I have just gripped the underside of the rim with my index, middle and ring finger with my thumb on the top of the disc. I never really thought a lot about exactly where they are.