• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Premium plastic mid lineups

Wasp, Buzzz, Meteor

If I would/could go premium, that's what I would pick. (I have thrown all of these)

Unfortunately, I can't throw premium plastic mids. My fingers are too dry and I can't get a consistent grip/rip without spending a lot of time toweling off condensation and preparing for each shot trying to find a good grip.

I don't care for DD mids, (I've thrown them for a while too). I think the Truth is too squirrely and while I like the verdict, the ones I had broke in too fast. For my style of game, DD mids are too fast and for me, they don't power down well. I do really like the Suspect though.

I went back to Rocs and have stayed with them for the last few years and have no need or intention of changing.

If you play rocky abusive courses, then yeah, premium probably makes some sense, but otherwise, why fix what isn't broken?

Bruh. Stop it.

I've owned and thrown flippy Predators, Banshees, Gators, and tons of other overstable to neutral/stable molds in premium plastics. Z Wasp? Yup. Q Sentinel? Yup. Champ Rhyno? Yup. See the trend? I'm certain other people on this site have the same or similar experience as me, and I'm even more certain people that don't even know or care that these forums exists would agree with me too.

Just because you're not beating them in because you replace new discs with new discs doesn't mean it's fact. ALL DISCS BREAK IN REGARDLESS OF PLASTIC OR FLIGHT NUMBERS. Or glob forbid you actually keep a mold in your bag long enough to reach 5/10? You admit yourself you don't even really break 300' - just chill with the nonsense.

Savage, and true lol

Mental issue. Not uncommon in the disc golf community. DD has the best mid line up, and it's not even close. See a psychologist.

I don't like DD, I'm sorry I've offended your fanboy sensitivity.

I don't want to turn this into a bash DD thread, but I tried enough of their discs to never want to throw them again. The putters beat in during one week of play from just putting, the mids broke in from less than 10 tree hits, and the drivers broke in being thrown in open fields. All of the discs came with the biggest flashing I have ever seen as well, not to mention I bought 3 or 4 of the same couple max d drivers and not a single one flew the same despite being the same plastic. I am not going back to anything trilogy for a long time. That being said, OP you do you, try it out and if there is a hole, fill it in. Every company has good mids these days, just pick a couple and go with it.

Savage, and true lol

I don't like DD, I'm sorry I've offended your fanboy sensitivity.

See, this imaginary fanboy crud makes you seem mental. I carry at least 7 brands when I play. I carry zero DD drivers because Innova suits me better. I can't help it if DD makes the best mid line up in the game.

And that's just your opinion. If it works for you, fine.

I however disagree, from my own experience. And that too is an opinion.

Of course it is. That quoted line is in response to the fanboy BS. The context is, I play what I think is best-not because of the manufacturer. Oh, and I don't play baseline anything iother than putters unless it's a high risk of loss shot.

... DD has the best mid line up, and it's not even close...

What do you bag PMantle? Evidence+Truth+Verdict?
I don't see how that is so far superior to a Meteor+Buzzz+Drone or a Mako+Roc+Gator lineup.

Now if I had to be completely objective... Buzzzes are awesome and Truths suck ass! :D

What do you bag PMantle? Evidence+Truth+Verdict?
I don't see how that is so far superior to a Meteor+Buzzz+Drone or a Mako+Roc+Gator lineup.

Now if I had to be completely objective... Buzzzes are awesome and Truths suck ass! :D
Pretty much. I throw in a bard as well. Came from Buzzzs and Meteors and a Sentinel. Once I saw how seamless the DD lineup was, I made the switch.

Comet/buzzz/wasp is a great combo. Lots of different plastic varieties available these days to, in order to suit your fancy/climate.

I skip the buzzz and just use comet/wasp. The comet has plenty of stability for me to get it out past 300' without any problems. Any more stability or distance than that, and I'm either going with the wasp or moving up to a fairway driver.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having different mids to cover overstable/stable/understable. Use what you like best to cover those shots.

I am sure I could go back to Discraft with no issue whatsoever. Losing Hastings was an issue as well. If I could just run to the store and get the hive discs, I probably would. Especially with the new emphasis on ESP.

Mids are my favorite! I came by just to throw in mention for the DD mids. I've been doing the Verdict/Truth thing for a while. Fresh/worn of each and I'm happy. I really like the OG Emac Lucid Truths (flat top, small silhouette stamp). Awesome mid that does work! Also, if you want a hyzer flipper, Evidence or Warrant. Boom.

All this DD hate [in an attempt to possibly keep the OP from trying their mids?] is "stupid," IMHO. What is it about DDs mids that is so awful we resort to bashing? I find they are very comfortable mids to hold and throw. Lucid is not champ durable, maybe more star-esque durability, but it is grippy and pretty. Verdicts also beat in to lose HSS before LSS, which may turn some off to the mold, but still serves a great purpose.

However, Buzzz's are great, also, and Roc3s and Mako3s, and Bards, and Rocs, and Fuses, and M_s all fit other people's game.

FWIW, I throw a mixed bag, am not married to any one company (cuz, why? if you aren't sponsored..), love playing disc golf and trying discs, and think bullying on the internet is "stupid." We should all just go back to hating on Failient and the Groove and have a good day.

Cheers

Great info in this thread, very fair criticisms of my switch-a-mold-itis. Sometimes I don't know what is more frustrating - dealing with managing a cycle of base plastic or deciding on which premium plastic mold comes off the shelf at just the right stability to not overlap on eachother as they start to season at different rates.

Also let me just say, you guys with 1000+ posts sound like a bunch of typical salty Gen-Xers, for better or for worse. Who hurt you? At least I know any time I post a question, it makes for an entertaining thread. :popcorn:

Comet/buzzz/wasp is a great combo. Lots of different plastic varieties available these days to, in order to suit your fancy/climate.

I skip the buzzz and just use comet/wasp. The comet has plenty of stability for me to get it out past 300' without any problems. Any more stability or distance than that, and I'm either going with the wasp or moving up to a fairway driver.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having different mids to cover overstable/stable/understable. Use what you like best to cover those shots.

That is a great trio of discs and basically covers every mid shot you need. It's too bad they feel quite differently from each other. I can tolerate Buzzz to Wasp and vice versa, beads don't bother me much but the Comet just feels way different in comparison. Definitely a great lineup if your hand is "blind" and you can power up/down really consistently.

Ok it's officially looking like:

Tursas
Max weight Z Comet
Star Roc3 176g
Mortar

I would be happy throwing a beefy buzzz in place of the roc3, but then I wonder if maybe I would want a verdict on top of the Buzzz and alongside the mortar.

I am also thinking I could grab something like a moonshine emac truth and possibly get a little better distance than the roc3. Any comments on stability of roc 3s and beefy buzzes vs beefy emacs?

So it's not official...

It's only official until the next wave of boredom rolls through.
Then to ease the boredom, another thread will be started followed by a new set of official discs.

Rinse, repeat.

Seems to be what half the threads on DGCR are anyway. Convince me I want to throw different plastic while full well knowing they're going to anyway.

That is a great trio of discs and basically covers every mid shot you need. It's too bad they feel quite differently from each other. I can tolerate Buzzz to Wasp and vice versa, beads don't bother me much but the Comet just feels way different in comparison. Definitely a great lineup if your hand is "blind" and you can power up/down really consistently.

I'm very, very particular about the shape of comets that I like. I almost never order them online unless it's a special release and I have no choice (see; MJ 2018 swirl ESP comets). I know the prototypical comet has a huge dome, but those aren't the best ones for me. A slight dome wasp pairs really well with the comets that I like.

It's weird though, because I really hate flat, beadless midranges - like the buzzz or truth. To each their own though.

It's only official until the next wave of boredom rolls through.
Then to ease the boredom, another thread will be started followed by a new set of official discs.

Rinse, repeat.

Seems to be what half the threads on DGCR are anyway. Convince me I want to throw different plastic while full well knowing they're going to anyway.

If we only talked about factual disc features this would be a pretty boring forum. And who doesn't get bored and decide to see if anyone can sway your initial thought? However rare that may be.

It's weird though, because I really hate flat, beadless midranges - like the buzzz or truth. To each their own though.

I love me a domey Buzzz. Maybe it's cuz they never have too much dome.

As far as Comets, yes they're an interesting mold. For me there's something in the shoulder? I can't describe it. But I also like buying Comets in person.