• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Preserve 18-hole @ Edora Park, Fort Collins, CO

For those of you who can spend some time composing a well written letter, the paper to print it on, and 44 cents for a stamp (45 cents starting on Jan 22), here is the mailing address for the city of Ft. Collins. I may send them a submission myself.

City of Ft. Collins, Colorado
PO Box 580
Fort Collins, CO 80522-0580

Here is the city's website and e-mail addresses of council members --> http://www.fcgov.com/council/contact-us.php

http://www.change.org/petitions/preserve-the-18-hole-disc-golf-course-at-edora-park-in-fort-collins-co
Why This Is Important

There is a proposal to reduce the 18-hole disc golf course at Edora Park to a 9-hole course.

We ask the City of Fort Collins to preserve the full 18-hole course for the residents of Fort Collins and elsewhere to enjoy.

If our disc golf course is reduced to 9 holes it will greatly effect the history of the course, tournament play, and revenue for local business in Fort Collins. The thousands of people who play this course every year will be left without a tournament-level, world-class course in the heart of Fort Collins.

Disc golf is an extremely popular sport, growing in players every year. The disc golf course at Edora Park provides recreation, competition, and family fun for the entire community. The course brings thrills and happiness to thousands of dedicated players city, state, and worldwide. Please help us to keep the full 18 holes.

Thank you.
(written by ~ Lucas Hensley, Ft Collins, CO)

DGCR's Jump on the Bandwagon ~

Iberian_55 DGCR #10199, TT #43

What is the story with Oxbow? It seems like there was lot of adjacent land the couple of times I've been there. I also prefer a natural setting to a park course.

It's a travesty that Ft. Collins has really only had Edora as the one quality 18 hole course in the immediate area. Much lesser towns have many more DG options. I remember the original lay-out that put the first 4 holes in the northwest corner of the park and then played across spring creek and then up past the playground.It was epic! We were so disappointed when they changed that lay-out, but understood the safety concerns, what with the playground in the spray zone. But to now make it 9 holes? :(

There is such a huge DG community in the Fort. I know it's a multi use park, but to be honest, I think the way the course has been designed, it avoids other uses such as the softball fields, skatepark, horseshoe pits, etc.I rarely see non-DG'ers wandering around in the fairways, so i'm not really sure what the conflict is.It's a big park, and it's been there long enough that everyone knows the disc golf course is there.

When I come home, I want to be able to play Edora in it's 18 hole glory. :thmbup:

A local member just posted this on our club's FB page:

The City is Claiming that due to Numerous complaints of people fearing to use the park because of Disc golf, they are not backing down to the pressure of the masses using their voices via petition and the media.

He wants now to organize a door to door canvas of the neighbor surrounding the park.

The biggest problem I've seen with the park is due to people who just aren't observant. Parents bring their little kids over to play in the grass at the park and sit right in the middle of the fairway. Although there is plenty of unused green areas they could easily use all around the park, they choose a fairway. Then, when they are either asked to move or have a disc thrown over their heads, they get angry and complain to the city. I feel that is a large majority of the problem.

The other two issues I see are #1, the skatepark, and #2, the baseball diamonds. Because of the way the baseball fields are situated near two main holes, discs are thrown dangerously close to parked vehicles during baseball tournaments when there is overflow parking along the road -- I've seen cars hit before and leave dents. I'm sure this is another reason for complaints to the city. Lastly, the skatepark (which was put in long after the course), is situated in an area close to two main holes. Discs are regularly being thrown into the skatepark, and the skaters are less than friendly to return the discs. This creates conflict and a safety issue if someone were to get hit in the head.

These are just my observations. This is a shame because it is truly a beautiful course. During the summer, it is just like playing at a ball course because of how well the grass and fields are maintained. I live within walking distance and play there frequently, and will continue to play there even if it is reduced to 9 holes. It's easy to take it for granted and forget to be thankful for what we do have, it's just a shame because I feel a large majority of complaints and concerns are unfounded.

Garret

He wants now to organize a door to door canvas of the neighbor surrounding the park . . .

The biggest problem I've seen with the park is due to people who just aren't observant. Parents bring their little kids over to play in the grass at the park and sit right in the middle of the fairway. Although there is plenty of unused green areas they could easily use all around the park, they choose a fairway. Then, when they are either asked to move or have a disc thrown over their heads, they get angry and complain to the city. I feel that is a large majority of the problem.

y'all be careful with your "canvassing" or you might end up with zero holes instead of nine.

y'all be careful with your "canvassing" or you might end up with zero holes instead of nine.

Yeah, I don't think it will be an issue as long as they don't go to homes with no soliciting signs posted. Our city is particular on door to door sales, but non-commercial organizations aren't a big deal.

However, I think it is a losing battle at this point. The city has already stated they won't reconsider. What angers me is our "progressive" city will do anything to appease bicyclists in this town even to the point of changing traffic rules....but they won't even consider a movement to save a beautiful disc golf course. :\

Garret

Latest posts