• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Private Courses

oneupmshrm

Par Member
I apologize if this has already been posted. I searched but found nothing.

I was just wondering how to go about playing at a private course? Do you just contact the property owner, or is it usually invite only?

Just curious because I would love to schedule a round or 2 at a couple next summer.

I am in the Metro Detroit Area in Michigan and there are a few in close proximity to me and they look like great courses :D

It is private property bottom line. There is a reason they do not have a sign from the road saying "Free disc golf on my property". If I were to build a private course it would gladly be open to my friends and family but not general public because people tend to think they are invited again by being there once and another is word gets out then you have 50 then 100 then 500 guys hitting you up, trespassing, etc

And I have the utmost respect for privacy. That is why I was asking. I am not some punk kid that wants a place to go and invite 100 friends.

Just shoot the owner an email or give them a ring if their info is on here. Never had a bad experience yet of the handful of private courses I've played. Every owner treats things a little different regarding fees or "donations".

Just shoot the owner an email or give them a ring if their info is on here. Never had a bad experience yet of the handful of private courses I've played. Every owner treats things a little different regarding fees or "donations".

Awesome. Thank you so much:)
I think I took the troll bait on the above post lol

I appreciate the info. :)

I was not trolling. If you are expecting to be greeted with open arms, you could be shamefully wrong. I know of 4-5 cases where courses were private and NOT to be posted on here nor the pdga website and both were and were no longer to be allowed for anyone, flyboy is a classic example of too much on a private course.

I wasnt expecting anything except an answer to my question.
I was not looking to "Trespass" or be rude. I asked how I go about "scheduling" and if it was invite only or do I "contact" the owner. That is all I asked. I was curious about how they are ran.
That doesnt mean you should automatically assume I have ill intentions. I am not like flyboy which I have no clue who he is.

Fylboy Aviation is one if not the best disc golf destination in many peoples eyes that is a private course, it has a 4.9 rating on here. He was not saying flyboy is a bad thing, I've attached a link to it, read the top review and it pretty much explains what he means by too much on a private course. And in my experience, I've always just contacted the owner if possible by whatever means were available to me, be courteous and just ask, the worst they can do is say no, if they do, I always just tell them thank you for your time and move on to the next one on your list. Hope this helps.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3693&mode=rev

Fylboy Aviation is one if not the best disc golf destination in many peoples eyes that is a private course, it has a 4.9 rating on here. He was not saying flyboy is a bad thing, I've attached a link to it, read the top review and it pretty much explains what he means by too much on a private course. And in my experience, I've always just contacted the owner if possible by whatever means were available to me, be courteous and just ask, the worst they can do is say no, if they do, I always just tell them thank you for your time and move on to the next one on your list. Hope this helps.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3693&mode=rev

Thank You. Much Appreciated :)

Every private course has its own specific rules and regs. Its always best to call the owner before you head there as they do have other things to do in life besides tend to the course. Sometimes they get behind on maintenance and things aren't up to snuff.

Every private course has its own specific rules and regs. Its always best to call the owner before you head there as they do have other things to do in life besides tend to the course. Sometimes they get behind on maintenance and things aren't up to snuff.

Thanks for the info :)

What scarpfish said. I recommend calling several days in advance, if you can.

Private courses can vary widely. Some you can just show up, pay a fee, and play; some you have to call in advance, or even make a reservation. Some are easy to arrange, some not. "Private" can include courses on commercial properties such as golf courses and ski slopes, which are generally open to the public but may have their own limitations. It also includes courses that are, essentially, in someone's yard.

Usually, this information is listed on the course's main page.

I was just wondering. And if they are that private why do they show up on course locators and course review sites?

If they're listed here, it's because the owners welcome disc golfers---within limits. And because disc golfers want to find and play those courses.

If they're not listed here, there's probably a good reason.

Be careful with other course locators, like phone apps, which may lead you astray. I had to ask one to remove our course, because they wouldn't or couldn't include a warning that it's by reservation only. I'm not sure how they and others built their databases to begin with. Always check with DGCR---it's the gold standard of course information.

Several of the private courses in the area are represented on discgolfscene.com, a resource created by a fellow right in your neck of the woods. I suggest checking that out as a way to learn more about the various course options. As noted above, some courses are very welcoming, others not so much. I'd further suggest getting involved with local leagues/gatherings at "public" courses. Once you start to know folks you can learn more about what private options are available.

The "NICEST" course in our area and we have many... is a private course you would drive right past it and not know it was there, no signs.

The course is on a Christian youth camp The camp director has been very good to the local DG'er's (lets us play for free), The course is not always open due to the different groups that may have the property rented, and typically during the summer months with youth staying on the camp its closed for the safety of the the kids.. But otherwise the Camp Director updates when the course is open via his facebook page, and welcomes all.. only requirement is you check in at the office and no smoking on the course.

The course is immaculate... NO LITTER. Grounds are perfect grass always mowed.. Signage, tee pads, baskets.. all TOP NOTCH.

So contact the owner first, my experience has been all are welcome, just follow the rules and leave the course better than you found it.. when I happen to find the occasional litter I'll pick it up... Just remember we are Guest at a private courses, and all should be good.

The reason they show up on mobile app course locators/etc is because the app developers are irresponsible! We have a private course, for awhile listed w/address on here and pdga, but too many people showed up un-announced, even though it was clear that it was private and you needed to call first. I don't even know how that happens, but it did. We removed the address, but kept it listed because I want to be able to show people around the course. Now, it's listed on all sorts of apps I don't even know about, and as far as I can tell, NONE of the apps warn people that it is private. Highly irresponsible on their part I say.

I am the contact for BRATS in Ann Arbor, I will have 3 days off/week starting next month so I will be able to get out there and play sometimes so hmu if you do want to check it out!

Just please don't use the app course finders and show up in someone's backyard unknowingly!

Be careful with other course locators, like phone apps, which may lead you astray. I had to ask one to remove our course, because they wouldn't or couldn't include a warning that it's by reservation only. I'm not sure how they and others built their databases to begin with. Always check with DGCR---it's the gold standard of course information.

I will definitely use DGCR.
That really sucks that they wouldn't put a warning about being reservations only.

Several of the private courses in the area are represented on discgolfscene.com, a resource created by a fellow right in your neck of the woods. I suggest checking that out as a way to learn more about the various course options. As noted above, some courses are very welcoming, others not so much. I'd further suggest getting involved with local leagues/gatherings at "public" courses. Once you start to know folks you can learn more about what private options are available.

I am on disc golf scene as well. I will be looking for a league to join next spring. I wanted to do it now but I got moved to nights for a few months:(

The "NICEST" course in our area and we have many... is a private course you would drive right past it and not know it was there, no signs.

The course is on a Christian youth camp The camp director has been very good to the local DG'er's (lets us play for free), The course is not always open due to the different groups that may have the property rented, and typically during the summer months with youth staying on the camp its closed for the safety of the the kids.. But otherwise the Camp Director updates when the course is open via his facebook page, and welcomes all.. only requirement is you check in at the office and no smoking on the course.

The course is immaculate... NO LITTER. Grounds are perfect grass always mowed.. Signage, tee pads, baskets.. all TOP NOTCH.

So contact the owner first, my experience has been all are welcome, just follow the rules and leave the course better than you found it.. when I happen to find the occasional litter I'll pick it up... Just remember we are Guest at a private courses, and all should be good.

Awesome!!!! Thank you so much:) I will definitely be looking it up

The reason they show up on mobile app course locators/etc is because the app developers are irresponsible! We have a private course, for awhile listed w/address on here and pdga, but too many people showed up un-announced, even though it was clear that it was private and you needed to call first. I don't even know how that happens, but it did. We removed the address, but kept it listed because I want to be able to show people around the course. Now, it's listed on all sorts of apps I don't even know about, and as far as I can tell, NONE of the apps warn people that it is private. Highly irresponsible on their part I say.

I am the contact for BRATS in Ann Arbor, I will have 3 days off/week starting next month so I will be able to get out there and play sometimes so hmu if you do want to check it out!

Just please don't use the app course finders and show up in someone's backyard unknowingly!

That is irresponsible of them. I just couldn't show up at someones property and expect to play whenever I want.

Thank you for the invite I really appreciate it. :) I will definitely hit you up sometime in the future.

Thanks again everyone for the info:)

Most of the top 10 courses on the main page are "private", as in not a course on public land. Do some research, if you see "pay to play", you are welcomed to play

I always keep a plastic grocery bag in my bag, just for this purpose:)