• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Private Courses

I've played a couple of private courses. On one, you simply called the owner, introduced yourself, asked for permission to play, and he gave you directions on how to get out to the course and a few tips on navigation. The contact info was on the DGCR page for the course.

On the second, the course info and location were already on the DGCR page, and you were asked to place $3 into a pay box when you arrived. At that course the owners had a small "pro shop" that they opened up for us after the round, and we had a nice visit.

I suppose that each private course is different, with some being more private than others!

I've played a couple of private courses. On one, you simply called the owner, introduced yourself, asked for permission to play, and he gave you directions on how to get out to the course and a few tips on navigation. The contact info was on the DGCR page for the course.

On the second, the course info and location were already on the DGCR page, and you were asked to place $3 into a pay box when you arrived. At that course the owners had a small "pro shop" that they opened up for us after the round, and we had a nice visit.

I suppose that each private course is different, with some being more private than others!

Sounds great. Thank you

private courses are required to have permission from the property owner to be listed here on DGCR. if they're listed here, people are generally welcome. so long as the proper arrangements are made of course, which differs from course to course.

Having played private courses all over the country I can say that each situation is unique. Some you can just show up and play free of charge, some you can show up day of and ask permission free of charge, some you can show up day of and pay to play, some you make reservations ahead of time by phone/email, some you have to know somebody that invites you to play, sometimes you can only play on a league day or tournament. Likely, if it's listed on this site it's as easy as asking permission ahead of time,

Detroit area in particular I found myself involved in the private league scene, there are a lot of courses (listed and unlisted) that folks will introduce you to if you're "in." Ask around, meet somebody that knows somebody, get involved, volunteer, be genuine, a nice guy, just a smile can open a lot of doors in life.

The reason they show up on mobile app course locators/etc is because the app developers are irresponsible! We have a private course, for awhile listed w/address on here and pdga, but too many people showed up un-announced, even though it was clear that it was private and you needed to call first. I don't even know how that happens, but it did. We removed the address, but kept it listed because I want to be able to show people around the course. Now, it's listed on all sorts of apps I don't even know about, and as far as I can tell, NONE of the apps warn people that it is private. Highly irresponsible on their part I say.

My discourse with an app developer included something like this:

Me: "Surely you don't want your app mis-directing users to a course where they'll be trespassing, or turned away because they didn't make proper arrangements, or perhaps even shot at during hunting season. It will make your app look bad."

Developer: "We can't be responsible if people are trespassing on your property."

Which was the point I asked to be de-listed.

I don't use a smartphone and don't know how many disc golf apps are out there. I tell them they're welcome to list us---anything to help disc golf---as long as "Prior Reservations Required!", or something of the nature, is shown prominently.

I won't mention the app.....but I will give props and thanks to UDisc, who granted our request to add the caution, without question.

I guess it depends on the course, and the owners of the land. Here in Western NY there is a sweet little 18 basket, wooded, private course, Hawk's Landing. It's always a good idea to phone first as a courtesy if nothing else. Hawk's Landing is run like a semi private bolf country club. Restrooms, showers, a full service pro shop, an 18 basket mini course, benches or chairs at every hole, ample parking, leagues, tournaments and more. In the works and coming soon is a snack shack with a clubhouse. And in the not too distant future a pro caliber long, technical course.

Private courses run this way should be A wave if not the wave of the future imho.

They installed a course at the site of the recent National Scout Jamboree. What kills me is the whole place is only open to scouts, and I've completed all but 3 courses in my state. It's not on DGCR, but in my head I'd know I haven't completed every course in the state without that one.

My discourse with an app developer included something like this:

Me: "Surely you don't want your app mis-directing users to a course where they'll be trespassing, or turned away because they didn't make proper arrangements, or perhaps even shot at during hunting season. It will make your app look bad."

Developer: "We can't be responsible if people are trespassing on your property."

Which was the point I asked to be de-listed.

I don't use a smartphone and don't know how many disc golf apps are out there. I tell them they're welcome to list us---anything to help disc golf---as long as "Prior Reservations Required!", or something of the nature, is shown prominently.

I won't mention the app.....but I will give props and thanks to UDisc, who granted our request to add the caution, without question.

That is crazy. Why wouldn't they put a disclaimer on there? Some people just don't understand :(

I guess it depends on the course, and the owners of the land. Here in Western NY there is a sweet little 18 basket, wooded, private course, Hawk's Landing. It's always a good idea to phone first as a courtesy if nothing else. Hawk's Landing is run like a semi private bolf country club. Restrooms, showers, a full service pro shop, an 18 basket mini course, benches or chairs at every hole, ample parking, leagues, tournaments and more. In the works and coming soon is a snack shack with a clubhouse. And in the not too distant future a pro caliber long, technical course.

Private courses run this way should be A wave if not the wave of the future imho.

That sounds like an awesome course. That would be great if more courses were designed this way:)

They installed a course at the site of the recent National Scout Jamboree. What kills me is the whole place is only open to scouts, and I've completed all but 3 courses in my state. It's not on DGCR, but in my head I'd know I haven't completed every course in the state without that one.

Its like an itch you can't scratch (which I found out sums up disc golf in general)

.....Anyway, back to the topic, do check with your Detroit-area private courses and make the effort to play them. No guarantees, but private courses do tend to have certain advantages that usually make them well worth playing.

.....Anyway, back to the topic, do check with your Detroit-area private courses and make the effort to play them. No guarantees, but private courses do tend to have certain advantages that usually make them well worth playing.

I will certainly do that. Thanks for the info:)

That is crazy. Why wouldn't they put a disclaimer on there? Some people just don't understand :(

It was probably much more involved than simply adding a disclaimer. You're talking about having to add functionality to the app and adding more to the database. It's not an insane amount of work, but if the functionality was never there to begin with, then it's probably a fairly involved overhaul of the data store. I can definitely understand why the app makers may not want to put that much effort into it. It's frustration from getting complaints about a problem from a scenario you never even envisioned, and something that wasn't even inherently an issue with the app but with the people who incorrectly put that course on there.

A friend and I have been working on a course on private property, so I definitely understand the concern of unwanted people randomly showing up. But as someone who has worked with databases and web apps I also understand that what people are wanting is not a simple task.

As far as the private courses go, if it's on DGCR, it's very likely visitors are welcome as long as you contact them and make arrangements.

Latest posts