• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Pro Leopard vs. DX Leopard

Skipmeister

I've been lurking for a while and figured I'd finally post because I have a question that I can't easily find an answer to, since searching for 'Leopard' means that you end up with hits on almost every thread, 'DX' is too short to search for and that's in most threads too, and 'Pro' always seems to always come right before 'Leopard' anyway.

I played around with disc golf a number of years ago, but never got too serious and didn't play much. Recently I've taken it up again, and have gotten more serious about it. I've limited myself to three molds (Leopard, Comet, and Wizard) while I try and get better, and usually keep two of each in case of loss. All my Leopards have been DX and in the 168 range, with the exception of a Champion 175 that I can't throw well at the moment and was probably not the best idea to buy. When I get a good throw, I've been able to get 200-225 with the Leopards lately, but still have issues getting too nose up and too much hyzer sometimes. A bad throw like that, plus a gust of wind, carried my last DX Leopard into a pond surrounded by chain link fence on hole 19 at Pye Brook.

I have tomorrow off and am looking to head over to Marshall Street to pick up some discs and maybe play a round. I see Pro Leopards get much more recommendations than DX here. So what's the difference? Is it worth the extra $3?

In my experience, DX plastic doesn't hold up very well compared to Pro (or Champion). My Leopard is dinged up quite a bit, but my Champion Leopard (and my Pro Valk) aren't.

For me, it seems like I can lay into the Pro a little more without fear of turning it over. DX is obviously gonna beat up faster/more, altering the flight pattern.
Right now i carry a seasoned DX for shorter drives that I want to go left (LHBH) and a newer champ for straight low shots with little to no fade. I would probably bust out my pro if I wanted to play a round with just 2 or 3 discs.
So, I guess it depends on what you want the disc to do for you on the course.

Last edited:
Fear of Prerube makes people write a first paragraph explaining why they are starting a new thread. Terrorist. :|

Fear of Prerube makes people write a first paragraph explaining why they are starting a new thread. Terrorist. :|

Whats worse, someone getting 'rubed, or someone trolling Prerube in a thread he hasn't even posted in. :gross:

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion :|

I perfer pro leopards I have thrown dx pro and star haven't thrown a champ.
I use leopards for anny shots, and hyzerflips, so the pro beats in to exactly what i need/ want out of them.
I just don't care for the feel of dx plastic in fact I don't throw an dx discs now that i kicked the teebird out. Also pro should last a little longer than dx as long as you don't lose it.

I have had the same pink pro leopard in the bag for a year now, starting to get really flippy, but it has lasted way longer than any DX disc besides a putter. My wife with very low power tears up DX leopards...she hits a lot of trees though.

Whats worse, someone getting 'rubed, or someone trolling Prerube in a thread he hasn't even posted in. :gross:

hey-beetlejuice-doris-joker-funny-d.jpg

It takes time to develop snap, and arm speed. If you're having trouble thowing DX Leopards on a straight line, don't switch to Pro or Champion plastic yet. Those plastics are more overstable, meaning if your throw a back hand drive with your right hand, the disc will fall off sharply to the left at the end of it's flight, unless you can get enough snap and speed on the disc to make it fly straight.

DX plastic will beat in quicker then other plastics and once it does, you'll get long, straight throws from those discs.

if you like the leopard a lot, you may find good use out of getting a low grade plastic and a primium plastic.

down the round you will then have a very beat in disc and a disc still near new. you would also be teaching yourself the process of the disc beating in (how the flight characterstics change). this is a great thing to watch happen and learn from first hand.

i'd suggest a low grade and premium, so maybe a dx and a star or champ.

Kind of like Brall, I'd suggest getting a DX and Pro. Or DX and a Star. The Star should be 165-168, I'd suggest a DX around 168-172. If you go Pro 168-172 as well. I don't suggest Champ.

Thanks for the replies. Right now I can sometimes get a good, fairly straight shot with a DX Leopard with a little bit of fade to the right (LHBH) at the end. For example, last round I played I ended up throwing a great shot on my first drive. 225' hole, got the distance but ended up 30 feet or so to the left. Then I lost the disc later on.

I think I'm going to probably try out the Pro and hope at least one of my DX Leopards finds its way home, since I pleased the disc gods and returned someone's lost Beast and all. I lost three in as many outings. The other reason is that around here, hitting trees seems to be a way of life. A little extra durability might not be a bad thing with all the wooded courses around.

I haven't read this thread but here is my post from another thread:

I think pro flies pretty much just like DX, but with added durability, and maybe a touch more LSS. I bought a used 166 Pro Leo awhile back and have used it a lot since then, several tree hits etc. It's still pretty warp free, and flying great! If you like a DX Leopard, you must get a couple in Pro!

I have a dx and star leopards in 165-170 and i find the dx turns pretty hard early in the flight path and doesn't fade back enough, while the star fades back too hard. I'm thinking about trying a pro or adjusting weights. YMWV

What's the worst, someone pointing out the prerube effect or someone trolling a troll and providing even less of a contribution to the discussion, or someone else trolling the troller of the trolls?

Confusing times these are....:popcorn:

It takes time to develop snap, and arm speed. If you're having trouble thowing DX Leopards on a straight line, don't switch to Pro or Champion plastic yet. Those plastics are more overstable, meaning if your throw a back hand drive with your right hand, the disc will fall off sharply to the left at the end of it's flight, unless you can get enough snap and speed on the disc to make it fly straight.

DX plastic will beat in quicker then other plastics and once it does, you'll get long, straight throws from those discs.

^^^ This is an honest answer and, until you start throwing a bit further, you can expect that nasty hyzer that carries your disc away to no mans land to happen pretty regularly, so DX is nice and cheap and easy to replace since it breaks in quickly.

As for your question, I don't think Pro flies much differently than DX out of the box but DX breaks in quicker, which is not a bad thing, and pro breaks in slower and lives a bit longer in the sweet spot. Both have their purposes and I would give the edge to Pro on glide.

Heres what I like to do:

DX: Water holes and quick fill in if I ever lose my favorite pro and need to beat something in fast

Pro: Thats my money driver for distance

Champ: I have used it to actually retard distance on Leopard throws just a bit, but starting to just not need it.

Star: Have not used but I imagine if I ever plan to go to a rocky, mountain or dessert course, might want one.

What's the worst, someone pointing out the prerube effect or someone trolling a troll and providing even less of a contribution to the discussion, or someone else trolling the troller of the trolls?

Confusing times these are....:popcorn:

LOL!

OP, like others have suggested avoid buying another champ. use your current champ as an overstable disc for the time being, and work on DX and pros right now as your main driver(s). star could be okay too, but i personally recommend against it. IMHO its not that far off from champ if your not throwing 325+...some may disagree with that last statement, but its true.

I use a 150 champ leo and a 175 leo for the shots I used to use my dx leo for. My game has gotten better and as it has my dx leo would tend to turn over, in a good way. So now I use a dx leo for turn over shots. At 200' though, id recommend a dx stingray. If you can master a stingray for 200' or less, it will fly perfectly straight. The stingray will also teach you how to throw that leo correctly. Here is what I recommend; wizard, 170 stingray, 150 champ leo, 175 dx leo or 160s pro leo. Id drop the comet even though its a great disc, but with a stingray and a couple different leos you can do what a comet would do. Maybe I would even get a 165 dx teebird intead of the pro leo, cause when you break the teebird in, it will be a very reliable bullet.