• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

Now that I have had the chance to throw the D4 some more I can say it will stay in the bag for now. Definitely longest disc in my bag and not wanting to sound like a fanboy but may even try out some of the mids to see what it up with them.

So ive given the d4 another chance over the past few weeks and its actually been working better than before,not sure why. Though im not sure what to expect now that i want to grab some back ups. Both are protos but one is an xout and its more stable than the non xout.

Anyone else have any experience with the runs? My guess is that the xout banana yellows are xouts from the "first run" stamped run and the proto greens are the run prior to that.

Just speculation though.

So ive given the d4 another chance over the past few weeks and its actually been working better than before,not sure why. Though im not sure what to expect now that i want to grab some back ups. Both are protos but one is an xout and its more stable than the non xout.

Anyone else have any experience with the runs? My guess is that the xout banana yellows are xouts from the "first run" stamped run and the proto greens are the run prior to that.

Just speculation though.

My 2 proto opaque yellows 172-3 flew similarly. My friends two FRs were more hss and it was pretty noticable.

Sidenote*
The huklab guy vending at awdc's was selling opaque d4s for $40, telling everyone they werent the same as '400' series, that they were 'G400' cuz they were grippy. It felt the exact same to me as the opaque proto yellows. I kinda think he was FoS but has anyone else heard this?

He is fos. Phil said they are all the same plastic,the reason some were clear was because of the pigment or something not settling all the way. I agree that the opaques are grippier but they are the same plastic as the clear ones .

I could bw wrong on the exact thing that phil explained but i do know they are all the same plastic

Fwiw they were a bright kawasaki green color. I thought id seen them before on fb and ebay, am i crazy?

Ok so where does one get the green Prodigy D1's that Ricky, Willy and Koling have been throwing? They fly like awesome stable Destroyers and nothing like the stock runs ive been trying. To clarify these are Im guessing Protos and look nothing like the ones you can buy that are out right now, they are opaque.

Hey, let us know if the opaque First Runs you got are the S/DS stable D1s. I got one from Cam who told me they were special runs for the Team before the Memorial. Mine did not flip into a 25mph headwind the other day and I'd like to have one more as a backup.

Picked up a 171g D4 today at GGGT, and I must have the noodliest arm around because that thing is a GD meathook for me.

Feels nice in the hand, though. And I LOVE the M3.

Picked up a 171g D4 today at GGGT, and I must have the noodliest arm around because that thing is a GD meathook for me.

Feels nice in the hand, though. And I LOVE the M3.

I think it has more to do with inconsistency in the D4 then your arm. I've thrown 3 and the first run that I own is much more overstable than the the other 2 (one was a proto, the other another first run). I bought mine thinking it would be a great disc for long turnover shots but it constantly flexes out too early on me. It works fine for long flat hyzer approaches but I already have 5 other discs that fill that slot in my bag so I don't know what I'm going to do with my D4 now.

I think it has more to do with inconsistency in the D4 then your arm. I've thrown 3 and the first run that I own is much more overstable than the the other 2 (one was a proto, the other another first run). I bought mine thinking it would be a great disc for long turnover shots but it constantly flexes out too early on me. It works fine for long flat hyzer approaches but I already have 5 other discs that fill that slot in my bag so I don't know what I'm going to do with my D4 now.

Maybe they should call it the D-Whatever....

Finally picked up a d1 and a d4 and they both, as well as every one I looked at, had a ton of flashing on the bottom. Is this common and have any of you removed it?

I got one of the early run proto d1s that was flippy. The newer first runs are a lot more over stable for sure. The d4s are good for long distance turnovers, really flippy. I threw a d2 today that was pretty cool. It was what I expected the d1 to be. It was brand new though so it was naturally over stable. Having said all that, I don't carry any of them in my bag.

Can I get some comparison impressions for the D1 proto vs. the D1 first runs?

I've got a couple D1 protos but they fly like two totally different discs. The 170 is seasoned boss like and I wouldn't throw it into a headwind over 10mph at 400' power. The 172 is fresh boss like but can take some headwind if I give it some hyzer.

Can I get some comparison impressions for the D1 proto vs. the D1 first runs?

I've got a couple D1 protos but they fly like two totally different discs. The 170 is seasoned boss like and I wouldn't throw it into a headwind over 10mph at 400' power. The 172 is fresh boss like but can take some headwind if I give it some hyzer.

in no wind the proto d1 will flip with 400+ feet of power and have very little fade. the first run will have no turn and a hard fade, and will only rock up a bit in a modest (~20mph) headwind. they are totally different discs. the plh seems to vary a bit on all of mine, but they all fit into these general parameters.
my sample size is limited to mostly 166-168 blue d1s, as well as a few green first runs and an overweight proto.

what are the different prodigy plastics? and whats different about the g400 plastic over the plastic the d1 and d4s protos shipped in?

I revisited my first run D4 tonight. Decided to just throw 9 holes with the damn thing and see if I could anything out of it.

What I found is that if I've got some room to manuever (right to left), the D4 will outdistance my Saint by about 20' - 25'. It's not as accurate as the Saint for me, but if I'm in a open fairway, I'm not going to care as much.

I birdied two holes that I almost always par tonight.

Wondering if I should buy a later run (i.e. NOT Proto or First Run)? Will it be a little more understable?

Bought a production run d1 today and its more OS than the star Xcal i use, and the xcal is major beefy, feels like a high speed XXX..... M1 is definitely awesome

Latest posts