• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proper etiquette when finding discs?

What is everybody's feelings on finding a disc, taking it to PIAS for the credit and then calling the owner to let them know their disc is safely at PIAS and they should go get it?

Nah man, I chuck'em deep in the woods on the NEXT hole. Then crack myself up for days when I randomly imagine them looking for it.

Those yuks are worth way more than the trade-in value.

I found a disc today with nothing on it and since it was a Nuke SS I left it on #3s tee. It might still be there if you want it.

*snip* but do what you feel is right.

*SNIP* Yeah, I actually feel bad*SNIP*

Funny doing what is right generally doesn't make one feel bad.

I kind of wonder if others are in a middle ground here. It depends a lot on my mood. If it looks like a good thrower with a name and number I will text and work out a place at the course to leave it. We have an unlocked lost and found box that unfortunately some people look at as a free for the takers box.

If no name or number and looks like a good thrower hopefully i'm playing with someone who I know will put in the effort to track them down. Depends on my mood if I am going to leave it at the next basket, leave in the lost and found (as I said not much difference between the two as far as a disc finding its way back to its owner) or actually snap a pic and post on our clubs Lost and Found Facebook page. The FB page is not a big a deal since it is about as much hassle with the phone as a text really. Small enough community generally can arrange a handoff to a friend of the guy that lost it or meet at a weekly.

If it looks like starter disc set or just munched up or a brand new groove with the Dick's price tag still on it. I will throw it in the general direction of the closest basket or leave it in if i'm headed that way, name or number on it.

I have test thrown discs before and almost re-lost one. I had never thrown a Tern before, found a pretty used one. texted the number. A few holes later I tried it out and turned it over really really bad where it sailed into a field across a road full of star thistles. Yellow disc in a thorny field of yellow flowers... right then the guy texted me back saying so many thank yous it was one of his first discs he loves it and he had to give up looking because it got dark and he was bummed it was lost forever could he come meet me at the course and get it. Ouch... I waded out into the thorns and retrieved it.

My question is who is worse.......people who find disks with numbers and don't call or......... People who lose a disk,you find it,you call them,arrange a place to meet up,you go out of your way to meet up with them and they don't show up. Has happened to me twice with two different people. One even called me a week later and said he got busy so he didn't show up (guess he couldn't call either) and wanted me to drive 20 miles and just leave it on his porch. NOT!

My question is who is worse.......people who find disks with numbers and don't call or......... People who lose a disk,you find it,you call them,arrange a place to meet up,you go out of your way to meet up with them and they don't show up. Has happened to me twice with two different people. One even called me a week later and said he got busy so he didn't show up (guess he couldn't call either) and wanted me to drive 20 miles and just leave it on his porch. NOT!
That's why I just hide it at the course I found it. If they can't make it back to the course to get it that's on them. It's not on your to hand deliver a disc they lost.

That's why I just hide it at the course I found it. If they can't make it back to the course to get it that's on them. It's not on your to hand deliver a disc they lost.

My preferred method, as well.

today I found a PRO Destroyer in BLACK. I can't think of a more worthless disc for me. no number of course. PLEASE, I'll trade you for anything in my bag! funny thing is, I tried it twice and birdied with it once.

If Streets finds a lost disc:

1. If it's uninked it either gets taken to PIAS for credit or if it's a mold I like throwing it goes in the bin

2. If it's inked...I leave it and go about my round while whistling "Old McDonald Had a Farm"

I will add:

If I know the person who's disc I found:

1. I will do my best to get it back to them

or

2. I will throw it deeper into the woods :|

today I found a PRO Destroyer in BLACK. I can't think of a more worthless disc for me. no number of course. PLEASE, I'll trade you for anything in my bag! funny thing is, I tried it twice and birdied with it once.

Worse color ever.
I found a 165 star tee teebird in black. It was kinda fun to throw.
The third time- in like 5 rounds- somebody tried to give it back I said: man, its your problem now.

Worse color ever.
The third time- in like 5 rounds- somebody tried to give it back I said: man, its your problem now.

Worse was the fully Clear fad from 2007-2009, I lost a bran new XL Z that was clear from the tournament at the tournament. The mold was lost due to wind gust taking it into a bush I could not find the disc but 11 years later in 2018 I got a call for the disc saying some Disc Golfers did find the disc at that time, the pine bush had been removed for some reason and it was found. I told them to keep it since his wife loved the broken in DX Leopard like S flight the disc did, yeah that worn out just sitting there over the years and it became a opaque clear over the years too.

Worse color ever.

The worst is a flye-dyed disc an any combination of blue/green (and yellow is right up there).
Ugh

Agreed on the clear discs.
Had a clear QMS with a green flye-dye.
Like you, I saw it go into the bush and still couldn't find it.

Last edited:
The worst is a flye-dyed disc an any combination of blue/green (and yellow is right up there).
Ugh

Agreed on the clear discs.
Had a clear QMS with a green flye-dye.
Like you, I saw it go into the bush and still couldn't find it.

Yellow is not bad if the right yellow. I agree clear is the worst and luckily only a few brands want to keep making the plastic or they only make them for big tournaments.

I probably buy the worst colors for discs. I'm bagging a h3 that looks like a sheet of glass currently. I also have no less than 5 other clear discs I myself, chose to buy, looking at pictures of them online. I also buy brown and sweet looking burst discs that are essentially camouflage. They look great online but when I get them I just think..not again:doh: Haven't lost any yet though.

I recently found a fly dye that was purple and black. One of the worst I have seen as far as ever being able to find again.

I've done this in the past. Snap a picture of me placing the disc under a trash can or behind a notable feature of the course, and just send that in a quick text. Takes no time, and it's like a little treasure hunt for the owner.

Most the courses I play now though, have a dedicated lost and found guy.

I really like this solution I used to take the discs to DiscStalker after calling the owner, but now that DiscStalker is closed I'll try this 'under the trash can' method.