• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proper etiquette when finding discs?

Craig found a DGCR diamond badge on the course and never called the number on the back.

Please show me where I said I make no attempt to contact the number and simply keep discs. I'm just speaking a reality of many players and made peace long ago that I'm not getting a disc back if I don't find it. Some of you still seem to be holding out hope in some utopian disc golf world. I wish I still had that innocence.

Last edited:
I was playing on a day when the course was a real quagmire and my tee shot on the last hole ended up perched precariously on the bank of a creek, with something like a 12-foot drop to the water below. After I slipped in the mud and almost ended up in the creek I left the disc lying where it was, even though it was my favorite forehand disc. It wasn't worth risking injury. I figured if someone else was willing to retrieve it they could have it. It was a found (unmarked for goodness sakes; don't look at me like that) disc that I hadn't bothered to ink. Four months later I bought it back at PIAS. Now that's karma!!

Please show me where I said I make no attempt to contact the number and simply keep discs. I'm just speaking a reality of many players and made peace long ago that I'm not getting a disc back if I don't find it. Some of you still seem to be holding out hope in some utopian disc golf world. I wish I still had that innocence.
I get it now. You lost your sense of humor and nobody called the number on the back.

*deep hug*

Last edited:
Look do what you feel right. Hey people on here and in real life are a-holes. Don't expect people act like you would. Yes putting your number on it gives you a chance that you get your disc back but it's not a guarantee. But as soon as you leave from searching for that lost disc you should have the feeling it's gone forever.

All this "just look harder, never leave a man behind" stuff is fine if you play park golf. But out in the woods where the disc fairies will hide them on you sometimes the only way they get found is by someone else looking. Just the way it is.

I lost a big bead aviar on hole 9 at Zebulon DGC a few years back. Crazy thing is 5 of the 6 guys in the group watched it from my hand to the knee high grass 30' right of the basket. All 6 of looked for 30 minutes unsuccessfully. We looked for anoter 20 minutes on the next round. Alas, my aviar was gone forever. Disappeared right before our eyes.

This past July when everything was going crazy, I bought a used Eagle disc to play a one disc round at a well known overgrown course. On hole 3, I lost the disc. After a long search, I found a Valkyrie. I abandoned my eagle and used the valkyrie instead. There was info and I intended to call after the round. After driving hole 5, I found an unmarked Biofusion Enforcer. That same drive I searched forever and could never find the Valkyrie. I played the enforcer to 7 and decided to quit as the course was like the little shop of horrors. It was BAD. The briar bushes were over my head!

I keep all discs I find whether there is a name or number on it. It's always a champ destroyer and I just throw it on the next hole. I'll also never be able to find it. :hfive:

Look do what you feel right. Hey people on here and in real life are a-holes. Don't expect people act like you would. Yes putting your number on it gives you a chance that you get your disc back but it's not a guarantee. But as soon as you leave from searching for that lost disc you should have the feeling it's gone forever.

^This. Once I abandon a disc, it is no longer mine. Its now up to the finder to do with as they please. We prefer if the finder uses the contact info, but do what you feel is right.

In my post above, the course was CRAZY overgrown (burdock bushes over my head) and I only brought one disc because I didn't want to lose my good ones. Would the previous owner of the Valkyrie have wanted me to stop playing? Yeah, I actually feel bad that I lost it again. I was fully planning on contacting him after the round.

I remember finding a disc, calling the owner, then almost losing it on the next hole because I wanted to see how it flew! now I try it first and then call.....

What is everybody's feelings on finding a disc, taking it to PIAS for the credit and then calling the owner to let them know their disc is safely at PIAS and they should go get it?

What is everybody's feelings on finding a disc, taking it to PIAS for the credit and then calling the owner to let them know their disc is safely at PIAS and they should go get it?

Perfect!

I actually lost my beat X Comet recently on a hole I didn't think I could ever lose a disc on. Had no hope that it would show up but I found it a few days later at the local shop used bin. I happily paid the $3 that the shop paid for it.

I asked the dude at the shop if he knew the douchebag that traded it and he said he was a semi regular. Yeah the dude is a douche, but it's pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme. I felt no desire to fight him.

agreed

you and I are a rare breed of Discer.

Not a disc of mine has ink. I hate it. Plus I always say "If I cannot find it somebody DESERVES it" because I will hunt for a LONG time for my disc...my....presssccciouss. and if i cant find it....its a gift to the world.

I should update this. I STILL do not ink any of my discs. BUT....haha, I do care. I lost an important one in a tournament last month (in a pond) It would have been retrievable but I was playing so I had to move on. Thankfully I was able to put out some feelers online and a dude did find my disc. I got it back and was grateful. I typically look for my own discs relentlessly . I will look until I find it. And if I don't find it. I'll come back (probably) haha - I once lost a really nice driver by bombing a hyzer uphill. but it didn't beat the last treeand got knocked down in a treeline. I looked for an hour, no luck. So I went back the next day - looked and looked---eventually I found it up in a tree only like 60 ft from the pin. I played the rest of the hole out and got my par. Yeah I WILL find my disc, but if I don't its because its underwater or it was a REALLLLLY hard find. We have a local Lost and Found facebook group and its always worth checking - otherwise I'll cry a lil bit then find a replacement.

still no ink brahhhh :hfive:

I'm not a fan. Our local PIAS began understanding values of discs. If you lost your CE thrower and it wound up there it would cost $50 to spring it.

I'm not a fan. Our local PIAS began understanding values of discs. If you lost your CE thrower and it wound up there it would cost $50 to spring it.

Well then you shouldn't lose your CE thrower Shankapotamus.

Well then you shouldn't lose your CE thrower Shankapotamus.
I feel like your original question was a setup.

Augustus Gloop: Would you like some chocolate?

Charlie Bucket: Sure!

Augustus Gloop: Then you should have brought some.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. If you are then you're just going out of your way to be an a-hole.

Latest posts