• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pushing/balancing off back leg

For sure, if he was just a random guy trying to help people on the internet I would not care much, but since he's trying to take authority in the field of the backhand throw I feel like that automatically should come with some responsibility so he does not lead people astray, or worse, teach them techniques that can harm them.

It would be great to see some engagement from him in the community and open discussions about what people disagree with him on. But that's the thing, that does not seem to be of importance to him, unfortunately, I think that would really be good for him and his business in the long run to address these things, but that's the crazy thing, people idolize him and put him on a pedestal and there's no room for critique, which can lead to his students doubting themselves when they're not improving when they're just getting the wrong information. But they'll probably feel like "they're just not athletic enough" or "work hard enough"

The dude would get **** on so hard trying to participate in the community that even a loader tractor would struggle to clear the poop off of him.

The other problem is, he'd bring in all his cult fans who have no idea what hes doing wrong and they would just cause so much drama that none of it is worth it.

All the commenters read like paid reactions to bad made for tv items that will fail upon first use, but everyone says they are so good.

The dude would get **** on so hard trying to participate in the community that even a loader tractor would struggle to clear the poop off of him.

The other problem is, he'd bring in all his cult fans who have no idea what hes doing wrong and they would just cause so much drama that none of it is worth it.

All the commenters read like paid reactions to bad made for tv items that will fail upon first use, but everyone says they are so good.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, there is a disparity in how "loud" his voice is compared to those who teach it correctly.

To overthrow's credit they used to teach squishing the bug. They took their video down. After conversations with loopghost (and presumably others) He admitted (and continues to admit) he was wrong, and now teaches that linear weight shift and rocking hips causes the rotation.

Unless overthrow makes a video saying "hey SSDG is wrong," which I don't see happening because i think everyone understands YouTuber drama is lame, I think we may see more "rear leg spinners" out in the wild.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, there is a disparity in how "loud" his voice is compared to those who teach it correctly.

To overthrow's credit they used to teach squishing the bug. They took their video down. After conversations with loopghost (and presumably others) He admitted (and continues to admit) he was wrong, and now teaches that linear weight shift and rocking hips causes the rotation.

Unless overthrow makes a video saying "hey SSDG is wrong," which I don't see happening because i think everyone understands YouTuber drama is lame, I think we may see more "rear leg spinners" out in the wild.

I'm glad he's listening to SW and a few other heavy hitters.
Cause I wanted to tell him some of that stuff, but... When you wall everyone off from you, its hard to do.

In a way he does what SSDG does as well, but he finally figured out that he needs help, which is going to improve his ability to coach.

He's got an eye for seeing whats wrong. I don't always agree with his what to do though.

Like, I want to watch.
But I don't.
It's like. I love watching the destruction of the building that is going to fall.
But, there are people inside, and I know there are people inside, but... yeah.

Would it be out of place to do reaction video's on this stuff?
I feel like I need to do a play by play.

Last edited:
"on front leg throwing your back foot just slips out"

hahahahahaha

Uses PP as example.
Does front leg throw with rear leg kick.

While I'd love to just say he doesn't understand.
He's in on his thing being THE thing, and he's seeing in the right way.
Hence the hard sell tactics on the coaching.

Then uses Paul as example.
But the thing is, he's talking about the brace drive and the finish of the drive into the brace.

His method is not that.

Oh I'ma just watch and stop typing.

Don't go fast, you'll get hurt,
Gonna need a year to build these muscles.

So, keep paying him a year to help you not get anywhere?

Remember, these moves are very athletic.

(not really to be honest, but I only competed in basketball, wrestling, volleyball, soccer, baseball and chess)

"on front leg throwing your back foot just slips out"

hahahahahaha

Uses PP as example.
Does front leg throw with rear leg kick.

While I'd love to just say he doesn't understand.
He's in on his thing being THE thing, and he's seeing in the right way.
Hence the hard sell tactics on the coaching.

Then uses Paul as example.
But the thing is, he's talking about the brace drive and the finish of the drive into the brace.

His method is not that.

Oh I'ma just watch and stop typing.

Don't go fast, you'll get hurt,
Gonna need a year to build these muscles.

So, keep paying him a year to help you not get anywhere?

Remember, these moves are very athletic.

(not really to be honest, but I only competed in basketball, wrestling, volleyball, soccer, baseball and chess)

Thought i had a stroke, when he showed Paul and Paul does exactly what coach T is saying not to do.. someone, please tear that video apart with a "reaction video".

I randomly stumbled across one of his earlier videos and to my surprise he's actually making sense and asking (in a curious way) on the mechanics.. in that really he really emphasis the front leg brace and contradicting everything he preach now..

I'm not a coach, nor am I a master of body mechanics - but that back left mechanic is gonna get people hurt in the long run (from what I've been reading)

Sheesh. I chalked it up to "oh he's probably just sort of wrong like usual"...but man. He literally shows Brodie and Simon doing exactly opposite of what he says in the video and is acting like he's onto something. And the comments! He's the second coming of form coaching!
Honestly impressive work on his part, if I was into selling pyramid schemes he'd be my first hire.

New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_SELTKBvo

They use a lot of analogies to baseball but I thought the consensus was that in baseball you're not supposed to do that? Baseball vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37tg5GF39M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyh0X2jtOY

I like in the first video when he talks about "don't squish the bug with your BACK leg, imagine there is a bug underneath the front foot and stomp down with the heel" to drive the weight forward. The second video is even better when he talks about pressure going up the front leg driving rotation.

I also see Holyn Handley saying you should squish the bug: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck_4Q9XpjLM/

I feel like im going crazy!

New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_SELTKBvo

They use a lot of analogies to baseball but I thought the consensus was that in baseball you're not supposed to do that? Baseball vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37tg5GF39M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyh0X2jtOY

I like in the first video when he talks about "don't squish the bug with your BACK leg, imagine there is a bug underneath the front foot and stomp down with the heel" to drive the weight forward. The second video is even better when he talks about pressure going up the front leg driving rotation.

I also see Holyn Handley saying you should squish the bug: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck_4Q9XpjLM/

I feel like im going crazy!

Oh wow, looks like Holyn Handley just took that straight out from Slingshots video.

Oh wow, looks like Holyn Handley just took that straight out from Slingshots video.
Yep, she gave him credit on it.

Definitely not what Henna or PP does.
VI425Poh.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow x2. It just looks like such an awkward position to be in, I still haven't seen anyone throw like that in an actual throw, even the ones preaching it.

I think a lot of this is coming from noticing a reaction, and thinking its an action.

Does that make sense?

Somebody spots something in the body form that is a "reaction" to something else going on. And they fixate on that trying to "copy" it, and what they end up doing is using it as an action to initiate, vs finding the proper initiation or reasoning for that happening.

This is my conclusion with squish the bug.
Which was verified with some of the pitching video's I've watched, like the one sidewinder sent me when I was really trying to learn it.

Coaches saw it as an action, vs looking over everything and noticing its a reaction.

This is why the language we use also comes into such key play and why reach back and pull and so many other things we say are bad.
They are looked at as actions, not reactions.
You always gotta try and break down what drives the mechanic and see if they are missing the action drive, or forcing the action drive.

If you force a reaction out of sequence, you might get good results, but you generally are also forcing body/joint strain as well.

This is why kentic chain timing is so key to max power. Because when body parts are re-acting, learning to add on to that reaction is what grants the power.

And one thing that slingshot has said that is true is learning to use fast twitch muscles properly. But basically what he's seen is people doing things and copying them with success by muscling through everything, vs actually looking at the overall picture of what is happening.

And its tough to understand all these things, and some of us see certain things way better than others.
I just know if I watch something and it gives me phantom pains, its probably not good.

I just wanna add how much I love that side by side of henna throwing SW22 posted. It also kind of dispels the "double move" SSDG talks about. You can see henna's off arm coming in to assist the weight shift and that her backswing is complete right as (or just before) her front foot touches down. Truly a powerful "swing" throw

Pretty good discussion from the people, though. Picking up on username similarities, looks like there's some multi-platform Crusaders here doin' the good Lord's work. Thanks, y'all.

This was a pretty good, succinct video shared in the Reddit thread that I hadn't seen before (wouldn't at all be surprised if Simpsons already shared it here, though):

Also, here's the Paige Pierce video shared by SW22 embedded:

Thanks to the diligent archival work of channel Baby Alive Time for capturing this piece of PP instruction for us.

I agree with the Reddit users that say PP's hips start to open prior to the release, but I think that criticism is missing the point of the content share.

But yeah: Disc release/hit should sync up pretty well with your plant leg hitting full extension, which means the front hip is already rotating back around away from the target and the back hip is approaching parallel to the front hip/about 90 degrees if you draw a line toward the target line.

Disc golfers seem to be about 20ish degrees off a true 90 from their target line (so it'd be more like 110-120 if you drew a line through the hips and down the target line at hit/release), so the back hip is not quite parallel like you see at the hit in a javelin throw or baseball pitch which are closer to that 90. So, it is more "closed" in a sense relative to release compared to other, more forward facing projectile motions.

Jan-Zelezny.gif

Postscript:

Helped run the first night of a putting league yesterday. Was chit-chatting with a newish player after we finished, discussing being bit by the disc golf bug etc. He mentioned a buddy paying some guy like $50 bucks a month for form reviews/Zoom lessons. I asked if he knew what the coach's name was.

"Yeah, sling-something."

My face turned a bit gray. He was like, "What?"

I tried to be cool. Said I just didn't like some of his content.

The newish player said he watched a recent one about "back leg disc golf vs front leg disc golf". I couldn't resist: we chatted about it, and I tried to explain a proper weight shift a bit. Another Club member who runs clinics 'round these parts backed me up on the "please don't try to squish the bug" stuff. The newish player was receptive. But he also responded by saying his buddy paying Slingshot a Heineken Heir's Ransom was seeing some great distance gain.

Everything's cool, homies.

Pretty good discussion from the people, though. Picking up on username similarities, looks like there's some multi-platform Crusaders here doin' the good Lord's work. Thanks, y'all.

This was a pretty good, succinct video shared in the Reddit thread that I hadn't seen before (wouldn't at all be surprised if Simpsons already shared it here, though):

Also, here's the Paige Pierce video shared by SW22 embedded:

Thanks to the diligent archival work of channel Baby Alive Time for capturing this piece of PP instruction for us.

I agree with the Reddit users that say PP's hips start to open prior to the release, but I think that criticism is missing the point of the content share.

But yeah: Disc release/hit should sync up pretty well with your plant leg hitting full extension, which means the front hip is already rotating back around away from the target and the back hip is approaching parallel to the front hip/about 90 degrees if you draw a line toward the target line.

Disc golfers seem to be about 20ish degrees off a true 90 from their target line (so it'd be more like 110-120 if you drew a line through the hips and down the target line at hit/release), so the back hip is not quite parallel like you see at the hit in a javelin throw or baseball pitch which are closer to that 90. So, it is more "closed" in a sense relative to release compared to other, more forward facing projectile motions.

Jan-Zelezny.gif

Postscript:

Helped run the first night of a putting league yesterday. Was chit-chatting with a newish player after we finished, discussing being bit by the disc golf bug etc. He mentioned a buddy paying some guy like $50 bucks a month for form reviews/Zoom lessons. I asked if he knew what the coach's name was.

"Yeah, sling-something."

My face turned a bit gray. He was like, "What?"

I tried to be cool. Said I just didn't like some of his content.

The newish player said he watched a recent one about "back leg disc golf vs front leg disc golf". I couldn't resist: we chatted about it, and I tried to explain a proper weight shift a bit. Another Club member who runs clinics 'round these parts backed me up on the "please don't try to squish the bug" stuff. The newish player was receptive. But he also responded by saying his buddy paying Slingshot a Heineken Heir's Ransom was seeing some great distance gain.

Everything's cool, homies.

At least he's not paying $30 for fancy stamped discs?

Dang. I need a racket to make monies

Last edited: