• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter Help

Yeah putters should be,in my opinion, the disc you put the most time into finding. And ultimately as everyone has said already it comes down to personal preference of feel. Since most fly the same for basic putting inside the circle, it's all down to what you like. Personally I prefer very soft putters for putting because I like the grip and how they grab onto the chains. You can't go wrong with a DX aviar or soft Discraft Magnet. They are cheap and easy to find but both extremely popular and reliable. Personally after a ton of research and trying out different putters for a couple months I ultimately decided on using Gateway Wizards. To me they feel wonderful in the hand with amazing grip and fly amazingly straight on a good release. For putting I found I prefer the SSS Wizard and then for driving I use a Soft Wizard (which is still decently hard). The rhyno is a good putter for driving as an OS putter but even then I wasn't a super fan of the feel of it and then later was introduced to the Reptilian Scale (which is made to compliment the Wizard). But yeah for putting I'd highly recommend a Wiz, I think you'll love it. They are popular and definitely every bit as wonderful as people say. Also they run roughly $10 so it's a great price. If you're interested, I'd found that PhantomDiscs.com have one of the best Wiz (and gateway) selections I've seen.

Edit: I can't emphasize how good they feel enough. I meant to mention that where I live most people just use Innova and Discraft because they get everything from the local PIAS, but I have not had a single person yet tell me that they did not really like how the Wiz felt in their hands and a lot are converting.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help. I've played a few more rounds and still don't have the right feel on the disc when I am trying to make it in the basket but it is working well for approach shots. I am going to a shop this weekend and take a look at my options.

I've used a Star Rhyno for the last year as my main putter. It has helped me learn fundamentals but it's also made me a "sloppy" putter since it's basically a brick. Recently, I was given a wizard SSS and I purchased a Wizard SS and these are so much more touchy when putting in the wild. I've been practicing push putts as a result, and now I have a soft spot for the Ol Wiz. Bottom line, it just takes practice and there is no easy solution. Put the time in and you'll be putting like a pro within the 30 with just about any disc. Go to the shop and just find the putter that "feels" best in your hand and go from there.

Some of your decision will come from your putting style. Do you push, spin, or spush putt? Feel is very important as mentioned. Also how you want the disc to act outside the circle. Dont get too caught up until you figure out your style and get in the practice time. I started off with a DX Aviar, then a DX Birdie, then DX Rhyno, which I liked the feel of but not how it acted, now I have four Lat 64 Pures, 2 in opto soft, one opto medium, and one recycled. Love the Pure but still thinking of trying the Warden or some other trilogy brand putter. It never ends.

What I thought would be a cheap hobby is starting to look like it might get expensive :) I have no idea what my style is or what a lot of those styles mean. I am going to have to find a glossary of terms to decode some of these replies.

I will add, that I hated the feel of Wizards at first, but got used to them. Just spend more time with your discs. You will get used to how they feel. Hold them while you sit and watch TV at night or something.

I think I bought a 5 pack of starter discs starting out too and it came with a Rhyno. A Champion plastic Rhyno.

If you're not happy with your Champion Rhyno, consider getting something in a base plastic. Even the Rhyno in Pro plastic will feel 100% different. I can't putt with premium plastics at all, not enough feel for the disc in my fingers. Base plastics (Pro, R-Pro, DX in the Innova line) will be your best bet, there will be a question though of whether you want very grippy soft plastic or something stiffer. I putt with a medium grip plastic in the summer and a softer version in the winter.

There's deep putters, like the Aviar and Wizard (and Rhyno). There's shallow putters too, such as the Harp and Judge. You'll gravitate to something deep or something shallow based on how it feels in your hand.

Perhaps if you describe what it is about the Rhyno you don't like you'd get better advice.

What I thought would be a cheap hobby is starting to look like it might get expensive :) I have no idea what my style is or what a lot of those styles mean. I am going to have to find a glossary of terms to decode some of these replies.

Just don't get caught up thinking there's a magical disc out there that will greatly improve your game and you won't waste too much money.

You really don't need to know of any of that stuff yet. The finer points of equipment are the least of your worries, in my opinion. Just play and have fun. Watch closely what other players are throwing and doing...ask for advice if you are comfortable doing that. Learn the fundamentals, how wind effects the discs' flight, the difference between under and over stable discs, the effects of release angles. There will eventually come a day where which mold of putter you are using will make a difference to your scores (maybe). For me, that was further down the road than is sounds like you are now.

I would recommend a Wizard. Gateway makes the best putters around.

But the most important thing is to find a putter you like and stick with it.

I agree with a lot of posts here. The rhyno is a great disc, but not many people really putt with them, and I wouldn't recommend learning to put with one.Get something a little more neutral and in base plastic and that will help you decide what you want.

I bag a champion Rhyno, I tend to use it for upshots, and hyzer putts around obstacles. My putting is done mostly with a KC pro aviar. Pick the mold and plastic that feels best in your hand, it might take you a few molds, but that's half the fun!

Trying out different molds and getting excited about them has been one of my favorite parts about the game. If you aren't feeling great about a disc, begin a search for something that will fly how you want and feel right in your hand.

A lot of great options out there.