• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter overstable vs understable

mm1315

Par Member
I've always wonders that people's opinion on how stable a putter you should be using is? I've tried just about everything out there and still can't find anything I'm consistent with. Also please note what style putt you have as well. I tend to use understable Ruby or Sonic and float it in, but I'm getting less and less consistent. Thinking of switching to something else. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Most players putt with a putter that is neither too overstable, (Zone) or too understable (Wedge). There are a gazillion putters that fall in the middle range of stability. The trick is to find the one that feels great in your hand, great upon release, and to to stick with that putter. If your Ruby feels great, putt with it.

Look up Discraft's putting confidence video on YouTube. It might help you greatly.

I just looked up the Ruby and forgot that it's light weight and understable. The stability is not so important as the weight. How heavy is your Ruby? Most players putt with discs that are at least 170g. And many players use max weight putters, or 175g. This allows the disc to not get knocked around by the wind so much, and hold a true flight.

Also (missed the edit window), a heavier putter will give you a more consistent release and throw. I've tried putting with a 150g Aviar and it was like throwing a paper plate.

OS > US

Within the circle you are not going to get very different results outside of "reliability" and a overstable discs will always be easier to control regardless of conditions and much less apt to carry off line (just fade) -- While US putters are great for shaping lines you cant really with any other discs im not sure they make the best go-to putter for most players. Some people love a lid like putter though that just glides with little effort its just more of an "old-school" style. You find most top level pro's actually putting (and any player who is fairly consistent in putting) with stable putters and often carry a beat-in version for their understable "putter".

Do you spin or push putt? looks like you have a Challenger so why not try that?

How often do you stick with a putter before trying something new? What's the longest you've stuck with one mold of putter?

First things first. Find one that is comfortable in your hand. Then practice with it. I tried several putters before really falling in love with the Pure. I got an Opto Pure last year and it became a workhorse (i.e. I threw it off the tee regularly up to 275 ft at times). After a fair bit of use it is a little less stable than it was when I got it. I still use it for drives and longer putts but I have a Recycled Gold Line that I use for in the circle putting.

I have a hybrid push-spin. More of a push putter though. I used to spin putt and switching to more of a push dropped a lot of strokes for me.

I have a more spin style putt, and the longest I've stuck with a putter is about 6 months. And it's my current Ruby, but that's total I've switched back to it recently after trying with my challenger for a month. The other putter I used for a long time was a Wizard, but it always seemed to overshoot or hit and bounce out of the chains. I've been the most consistent with the Ruby, able to hit anything within about 20 ft 80% and between 20-40ft 60% but that's trailed off considerably to close to 30 or 40%. The guys I normally play with say my stroke doesn't look like it has changed but it is all over the place aim wise. I putt much like Michael Johansen if that gives you an idea. (Sorry I don't have a video)

Many Innova-sponsored pros putt with a KC Aviar or something similar, which is fairly OS. So I think you may want to go with a putter that is fairly OS but not too much, like maybe that Challenger that someone mentioned.

I just read your post that you putt like MJ, I think he uses a Ringer.

Everything said so far has been good advice.

I think everyone has bounced around and tried different putters. Find what you like...firm or soft plastic, dome or flat, bead or no bead, shallow or deep rim.

Lately i have been putting with the vibram ridge in firm max weight. It is OS but not too much. It is also great as a driving putter. The KC Pro and Yeti Pro a airs are popular....also seeing a lot of folks with the McPro's lately. They all work, it's the Indian not the arrow.

Thanks guys, I actually videoed my putts and saw what I was doing. I changed my stance and setup a bit which helped a lot. Basically my stance wasn't allowing my arm to move straight through. It didn't seem like i was doing that but it was very clear once I watched it. Using two Vibram putters at this point the VP and Summit as they feel the most comfortable.

I used to be a hardcore rhyno thrower, but after working on my form a lot I have found that I can putt much more consistently with a neutral putter. I now carry the mcpro aviar for probably 90% of my putts. The rhyno tends to make me start throwing with a bit of anhyzer all the time, which erodes my ability to control longer discs.

Also, not directly related to your question, but something that has helped me get a lot better at putting, and finding the best putter for me, is using a putter instead of a mid whenever I can. I used to be a disc whore, I would have 5 different mids and only one putter mold in my bag just because I was trying different discs all the time and mids were more fun to throw. I was constantly overthrowing my mids on approaches, and my putting was crap no matter what distance (okay it still is but its waaaay better!).

Nowadays, I carry 3 putter molds and 2-3 midrange molds. My mcpro aviars are thrown for almost half the shots I make, about anything 150' and closer, except off the tee. Then I carry a BB aviar or two for putter drives from the tee and for shaping long anhyzer approaches. If it isn't windy and I have room, I will usually even throw the BB instead of a mid whenever I can. I also still carry a rhyno for when I need super-stability, but the gator is too much. But I probably only throw it at the chains once a round these days.

Using these slower discs for longer shots, I have gotten much better at judging the distance and height to throw any putt, and I have also gotten less dependent on my foot positioning for accuracy. I had a lot of problems making shots before where I had to stand awkwardly, like behind a tree or trying to throw over bushes, and was losing a lot of strokes within 20 feet of the basket because of it.

Thanks guys, I actually videoed my putts and saw what I was doing. I changed my stance and setup a bit which helped a lot. Basically my stance wasn't allowing my arm to move straight through. It didn't seem like i was doing that but it was very clear once I watched it. Using two Vibram putters at this point the VP and Summit as they feel the most comfortable.

I was a huge fan of the summit for a while, but I found them too unreliable in a light wind to keep in the bag anymore.

I'd recommend having a couple different putters in the bag. For instance, I'm very happy with my Gateway setup. I throw Wizards (stable putter) off the tee for short or technical drives. I generally reach for these any time I have a shot outside the circle and up to 150'. My Magic (neutral putter) is reserved for dead straight or anny routes off the tee and everything inside of 50'.

I think the key to putting is confidence. Practice within the range you know you can hit with consistency and practice often. I'm a fan of several putting games like Perfect Putt 360, All In, and 21. Another important point is to pick a mold, weight, and plastic you can commit to. You can be successful with any putter, but it sure helps to have a stack of identical discs for practice and play. Good luck sir!

I prefer OS putters. I putted with VPs for a long time, but they faded a little too much and I wanted some more glide. Now, I'm putting with Wizards. Great fade out of the box, the right dash of glide, and a comfy profile with a bead (which I prefer).

Between Pures and a Credo, they cover all my needs. 75% of my shots 300 feet and lower are with a Pure.

I was a Magic dude until I putted with a Wizard during a windy round. The rest, as they say, was history.

What's your guys thoughts on a banger gt? I have the soft version,I also have a star avair p&a I use sometimes

Either of those are perfectly good putters, it's mostly down to how they feel in your hand for putting inside the circle. You might find, however, that the star plastic isn't ideal for putting, some feel that the slickness keeps it from sticking in the chains as well.

Latest posts