• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Breakthrough

nott84

I recently read "Disc Golf" by Michael Steven Gregory and caught a blurb about putting. I'm very inexperienced but I actually never knew that you're not supposed to keep your index finger on the edge of the disc while putting... I stopped and immediately gained control. I assume all of you know this but I'm astounded at the difference. Anyone still use their index anyway?:doh:

i putt with the disc upside down and try to throw it behind my back. never heard of anyone extending the index finger

I don't do keep a finger on the outside of the rim, but play with a few people who do and are quite accurate. I think the finger on the rim grip may limit your range a little, but I think putting is all about practice not what style you grip/putt with. There are examples of people using all kinds of putting styles and excelling. If the grip change is working for you then stick with it and practice the hell out of it.

thats what she said

My thoughts exactly.

As for the finger and it being where it wants. A typical fan grip has the finger on the outside of the rim of your putter. It basically allows you to follow through and point right where you want the disc to go. Stops to contemplate how many more That's What She Said Set Up's he could make in this post.

Normally I putt by resting it on my palm and throwing the face of the disc directly at the basket. I don't know what people are talking about with using their fingers.

after i putt
octhappyputt299x329.jpg

I've always used beaded putters (over 2 years with a Banger GT and currently with an Ion) because I extend my index finger on the outside bottom of the rim. It just feels natural to put my finger on the rim (my pinch point on the flight plate is between my middle finger and my thumb). I've personally found magnets, aviars and challengers all uncomfortable to grip since they notch inwards leaving me no place to set my index finger.

P.S. Resting the index finger on the rim is called a 'control' grip for a reason! You get a less distance and less snap but is crazy accurate within 200'.

I definitely keep my finger on the rim for putting and feel I would lose quite a bit of accuracy without it. I definitely don't want to have two different holds for a putter, so I also drive this way, I never have problems getting it out to where I want with the finger there. I use a Challenger. People are apparently way different on this.

My putting gets better when the thumb is over the middle finger and index finger is under the flight plate at the last knuckle. When I remember this I am money in the circle.