• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question regarding flex shots versus understable drivers.

More often than not, the only time I use a flex is when the shape of the hole calls for it, or the wind is a fact. I play a whole that's a relatively 300-320 foot shot up a hill with a creek on the left. When there's no wind, I play a nice big hyzer that works nicely. When I have a right to left wind, however, there's a distinct possibility the wind will push that disc on its hyzer line well left and potentially in a creek. If I throw flat, or a hyzer flip, the underside of the flight-plate will be exposed sooner as well, still causing a dangerous left push. If I throw a flex shot, though, the top of the disc is exposed to the wind and fighting to the right and its only at the end that the disc exposes the underside, thereby minimizing the left push.

I hit my first ace on a flex shot where the disc had to go around the left side of a tree, then come back to the left to get to the basket. I throw the same shot on that hole every time and land fairly close to the basket (unless I really shank one out there). They definitely have their purpose.

Flex shots are generally more predictable than turnover s-curves. I use flex shots way more often and reserve the turnovers for shots that must travel straight for a long ways before turning over. It's really essential to have both and adding in a forehand doesn't hurt either.

this is all really sound advice your getting, and now just practice it so you can use it more often.

Going to beat the dead horse...Flex shots with overstable discs are more predictable whereas with understable discs there's always the chance they turn and never come back.

Latest posts