• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Range for Putting, Mid and Driving

Going back to just a putter is great for those hardcore..."all I do is play disc golf"..."You should throw a putter and a midrange over 300'. I bet every one of those m'fers disc down because they cannot get their drivers to go where they want. Looking for the reason why not.I can throw my putter over 200' but when I'm in that situation I want a fairway driver cutting throught the air. I reach for a driver over 250' not my buzz. I want to have fun and I truly love the flight of a high speed driver through the air....The dudes that do not have anything else to do can work on their distance with their putter. I prefer to get that easy 350' with my Katana and work on my skills so I can throw it 400. It's golf, disc golf, but golf. When have you ever seen Tiger 200' out reach for his putter....he might hit a pitching wedge....but it's the flight. the feel. You can disc down all you want. Feel Superior. Feel Righteous....but it's golf....bring it on the course. Do what it takes to make you feel happy. make you smile. Don't let some dude online tell you that you should be throwing a midrange for 2 years when I put 5 dollars against a night with your mom that dude has a box of drivers under his bed that he could not throw. Worry about yourself, and your game, and your fun. Get out throw. Live life. Feel it.

interesting

When it comes down to it, I really don't care about what is right and what is wrong.
It's not about right and wrong. It's about improvement. What you're calling the right way is really the easiest way to learn to improve. What you're calling the wrong way will lead you to an early plateau.
I'll play what keeps my scores lowest. It's not like out of nowhere, I'll plateau and cease improvement just because I started tossing fairway drivers before I could beast a putter 200'.
I agree with that. However, once you start talking about anything faster than a speed 6 or 7 on the Innova scale that falls apart. There's a very good chance that throwing those faster discs will cause you to plateau out of nowhere and cease improvement. Many people, myself included, have experienced exactly that.

If you're just playing to enjoy yourself then it's obvious that you just do whatever is the most fun. You don't need advice from more experienced players for that. However, people asking questions like the one the OP asked are looking to improve. The advice "do whatever is most fun" is useless to them.

Driver: 100% of distance
Mids: 85% of driver distance
Putters: 50% of driver distance
I wish it were like that. Based on how far I throw a putter I'd be pushing 600' with my drivers. ;)

Personally, I'm confidant that, at least at one point last summer, I could get a consistent 380' with drivers (including fairway drivers), 320' with mids and 280' with putters. That puts my ratios at:

Driver: 100%
Mid: 84%
Putter: 74%

Most people who have good mechanics (which aren't hard to learn) find themselves pretty close to those ratios. The advantage of putter and mid only rounds is to realize that 85% and 75% are valid ratios rather than the 50% and 25% they're probably throwing at the time.

putters 150'
mids 235
fairway drivers 300'
That's actually not a bad first goal to strive for. If done properly (hammer drill, building the throw from the hit back, nothing faster than a fairway driver) you'll probably hit that really quick and actually blow by it. Many find that a big confidence booster. If you get to the 300' with a fairway driver you're probably hitting 250' with the mid and 200'-220' with the putter. After you figure out the one or two things that you're doing wrong you'll get a couple of jumps in distance and then be stuck with the rest of us trying to achieve that mythical "big snap."

PS - For what it's worth, I'm lucky if I play two rounds a week when it's nice out. I was playing more the summer I disced down but that was several years ago and I've been making improvements since then without sacrificing fun at all.

Last edited:
Discing down exists for a reason. Fun is fun and I'm all for it. I even throw a Katana here and there
(though less and less) but when you can learn to push your putters and mids as far as possible (accurately) you're going to be a contender and in fact you'll be having MORE fun because your strokes are decreasing.

If it's a PDGA approved disc then it's a valid disc to play with but learning from the bottom up will make you the best player you can be. You'll realize that a putter can be much more than merely a putter to be shot inside the circle at the basket.

It's not about giving up on high-speed drivers completely. It's about maximizing your distance and learning good form with slower discs. Try it. Stick with it and you'll see.

Going back to just a putter is great for those hardcore..."all I do is play disc golf"..."You should throw a putter and a midrange over 300'. I bet every one of those m'fers disc down because they cannot get their drivers to go where they want. Looking for the reason why not.I can throw my putter over 200' but when I'm in that situation I want a fairway driver cutting throught the air. I reach for a driver over 250' not my buzz. I want to have fun and I truly love the flight of a high speed driver through the air....The dudes that do not have anything else to do can work on their distance with their putter. I prefer to get that easy 350' with my Katana and work on my skills so I can throw it 400. It's golf, disc golf, but golf. When have you ever seen Tiger 200' out reach for his putter....he might hit a pitching wedge....but it's the flight. the feel. You can disc down all you want. Feel Superior. Feel Righteous....but it's golf....bring it on the course. Do what it takes to make you feel happy. make you smile. Don't let some dude online tell you that you should be throwing a midrange for 2 years when I put 5 dollars against a night with your mom that dude has a box of drivers under his bed that he could not throw. Worry about yourself, and your game, and your fun. Get out throw. Live life. Feel it.

4801178938_867b2619f0_b.jpg

I would like to comment on your post but the remark about Tiger using his putter from 200' tells me that you either a.) know nothing about ball golf and/or b.) are a complete frigging moron. Probably both.

i can push my putter out far but i'm fairly conservative with my distances i use it from. my ranges look more like this mostly because i've been playing horribly lately and lost all confidence in my game

Putter: 100 or 125
Mids: 125-250
Drivers: 250+

So, I don't get this. I'm all hunky dory with you being in the right place with your feelings about the game and all that but it seems you are lashing out at people who have more skill than you. What's the deal? You say people are discing down because they can't get their drivers to go where they want. I couldn't disagree with you more. The people who disc down are usually throwing a Roc or Buzz further than you can push your Katana and don't need drivers unless they are shaping sharp lines or throwing 400+.

Just sayin.

I don't throw putters backhand off the tee unless it's some really short hole in the 100-150ft range and then I will putt them. I will throw a putter forehand off of the tee up to about 240ft. That putter is an ESP Zone which isn't the putter flight that an aviar will give you. It's a style thing. I've had over 130 aces and more than 60 PDGA wins. I'll stick with my style.

Hi everyone,

This might be a weird question but....
What would you say is the range for putting, Mid and Drives? Example 0-50' putt 50-150 mid etc...
My course has tee ranges usually from 250'-320' I usually use a driver from the Tee and then a mid for anything usually around 30' + from the basket. No clue if this is good or not lol

This is incredibly simple.

If the basket is right here; I use a putter.
If the basket is over there; I use a midrange.
If the basket is way over there; I use a driver.

I should win an award for this stuff.

I'm always interest by those who say "I throw whatever makes my game better/lowers scores" when the fact is that extra 30-40 feet you get from a katana isn't actually lowering your score. Where those who "disc down" start posting better scores within a week. On my course I went from shooting a 70 ish score to shooting in the low 60's high 50's (for fun lets just say it was 60). That is a 10 stroke difference after a month of discing down.... so there are some fun numbers. But also I went from throwing my Driver 280-290' ( I was thinking it was 320' and most of us probably do...) Mids, 220', and putters 180 to throwing my Putters 270' and my mids 320' (checked). Now I will admit I'm throwing my mids farther than my drivers. Not because the drivers are to fast for me but because a repercussion of discing down is developing nose up (something most people actually have trouble with and don't know it...) but this is somewhat easy to remedy through the re-introduction of drivers... Also as I've started fixing my nose down (haven't been able to work on it due to weather) when I get it reasonably correct I'm getting a Stalker 350+. So discing down works... now if you want to "go for what you have the most fun with" well... then your not actually that interested in lowering your score...

Do what it takes to make you feel happy. make you smile. Don't let some dude online tell you that you should be throwing a midrange for 2 years when I put 5 dollars against a night with your mom that dude has a box of drivers under his bed that he could not throw. Worry about yourself, and your game, and your fun. Get out throw. Live life. Feel it.

shallow mediocre advice on life from someone who isn't actually enjoying there own and not realizing it.

I'm always interest by those who say "I throw whatever makes my game better/lowers scores" when the fact is that extra 30-40 feet you get from a katana isn't actually lowering your score. Where those who "disc down" start posting better scores within a week. On my course I went from shooting a 70 ish score to shooting in the low 60's high 50's (for fun lets just say it was 60). That is a 10 stroke difference after a month of discing down.... so there are some fun numbers. But also I went from throwing my Driver 280-290' ( I was thinking it was 320' and most of us probably do...) Mids, 220', and putters 180 to throwing my Putters 270' and my mids 320' (checked). Now I will admit I'm throwing my mids farther than my drivers. Not because the drivers are to fast for me but because a repercussion of discing down is developing nose up (something most people actually have trouble with and don't know it...) but this is somewhat easy to remedy through the re-introduction of drivers... Also as I've started fixing my nose down (haven't been able to work on it due to weather) when I get it reasonably correct I'm getting a Stalker 350+. So discing down works... now if you want to "go for what you have the most fun with" well... then your not actually that interested in lowering your score...

I'm all for discing down when it comes to drivers because I have done it and I have noticed the improvement. I just get the notion that alot of people think that you shouldn't pick up drivers until you're pushing great distances with the slower discs (correct me if I'm wrong). To me, it just seems impractical for longer courses.

I shouldn't have said "I don't care what's right or wrong," because I do want to get better. It's just shocking to hear that maybe I am doing something wrong when I've noticed myself improving after every round. The truth hurts I guess.

Throw what is comfortable for the distance.

Disc up when you need it, disc down when you need it.

If you can keep it on the fairway and put it a reasonable distance out you will be fine.

I used to give up 50+ feet on most people I play with but I stay clean and can usually play within a few strokes.

If you are still in the fun stage of the game just play it. When you want to delve into the jedi stuff then you can start worrying about discing down and all that. I find the whole phenomenon kind of funny anyways because the Gazelle is my go to driver for anything but the longest, most open holes. I will pull out a wraith or a SOLS for those.

Check your math. You would still be a whopping 50'. Sorry to be a stickler for detail, but that is a world of difference from 10', especially in putting. That's my point.

When it comes down to it, I really don't care about what is right and what is wrong. I'll play what keeps my scores lowest. It's not like out of nowhere, I'll plateau and cease improvement just because I started tossing fairway drivers before I could beast a putter 200'.

Well, I did make that post at 3 AM. :|

Okay, let's say I'm 50' out. It's no biggie b/c I'm used to throwing long approach shots b/c I'm intimate with my putters where as "Joe use a driver every shot but within the circle" will probably at least 2 putt. The thing is, throwing a putter far translates to throwing your drivers far, that's the point. It's not a pissing contest to see who can throw their putter the farthest, learning to throw putters helps you throw everything else. And I never advocate dropping slow drivers from learning how to play b/c drivers teach you nose angle form.

Bottom line is the fundamentals necessary to play this game well are not as apparent as they seem so lots of us like to help beginners not make the same mistakes of we did of throwing noob hyzers all day. And you wouldn't be on this site looking for advice on improving if you were just concerned with having fun on the weekends.

I think the problem is that many of us are distance measurement challenged to a very extreme level.

always a good post medicinal, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are. Because I need a good laugh, and you always bring the gold :)

i think his heart is in the right place, but his head isn't (it's in his ass)

The thing is, throwing a putter far translates to throwing your drivers far, that's the point. It's not a pissing contest to see who can throw their putter the farthest, learning to throw putters helps you throw everything else.

Exactly, I tried showing that with my distances but it didn't come across as I had wanted... I know a few guys who can throw 500' and they'll talk about throwing their putters 330'. The question is, do they feel its the best option for the shot. At their open pro and am1 levels, its not the best option if there is wind. But they can do it, and they credit their ability to drive far to being able to toss the putters and mids far too.

And I never advocate dropping slow drivers from learning how to play b/c drivers teach you nose angle form.

and getting that nose angle+good form (best learned by throwing putters and mids) = the ability to move past 350'.

I think the problem is that many of us are distance measurement challenged to a very extreme level.

This. Some buddies of mine and I all thought we could break 300'... first time on a football field was confusing. 4-5th times were disheartening. But now I throw a Comet far so I'm happy :)... cause comets are nice.

Latest posts