• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings vs plastic

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
Noticed that none of the on-line stores change the disc ratings for the different plastics but lots of folks talk about it making a big difference.

What's the general trend for - Innova, Discraft, Lat, Vibram? Is it as simple as the more durable the more stable?

Noticed that none of the on-line stores change the disc ratings for the different plastics but lots of folks talk about it making a big difference.

What's the general trend for - Innova, Discraft, Lat, Vibram? Is it as simple as the more durable the more stable?

Sort of...

IMO Innova from least stable to most stable...

DX, Pro, Star, Champ sometimes DX can be really beefy...

Discraft
Elite X, Pro D, Esp, Z, Glow Z

All of this also depends on the run and the amount of dome on the disc...

Discraft's charts actually do specify different stability for different plastics.

I haven't found any rule-of-thumb to be true across the board. For some molds I've used, Champion was more stable than Star; others molds, the opposite.

Of course, for people who use primarily one type of plastic, the charts are of some help in comparing an unfamiliar disc to a familiar one.

Ultimately, you have to test to see what works for you.

There's so much variation between each disc (PLH, dome, etc) it's hard to even break it down by plastic or run.

It really does depend on the mold to a degree, and depends more on the particular variations in the disc/batch of discs. I've also noticed that there are some discs that were designed in a premium plastic rather than being made in that plastic from a mold/design that was originally done in baseline. Those premium-designed molds tend to fly true to their ratings because of that. Generally, unless I know better, I assume that champy plastics are going to shift the stability (both high and low) up one notch. Seems to be true for most discs anyway. It pays to snoop around and find what other people have experienced in regards to domeyness, softness, etc.

IMO Innova from least stable to most stable...

DX, Pro, Star, Champ sometimes DX can be really beefy...

Not quite. Out of the box, dx is generally the most overstable, it just also beats in a lot faster than any of the other plastics. Pro is generally the least stable out of the box. Star and Champ are pretty close, you're right that champ is often more stable of those two when they're new.

I was looking at misprints a few weeks back and there was an elite x nuke that was the domiest disc I had ever seen. I held it up next to a z nuke for comparison and could've stacked three of the z nukes on top of each other and the dome on that one elite x was still higher. So I guess I'm saying not just the stability is effected by the types of plastics. make sure to look at the disc profiles as well.

^ I hate these kinds of answers :(

Makes it very difficult to buy discs on line. Which is really my only choice, since other than a Dicks or Sport Authority (both have pitiful selections), the nearest place is 1 hour away and they mostly have just innova.

Gets even worse when I see that two disc same mold, same plastic, same weight might have different charateristics. :doh:

Guess I'll just have to start buying 2-3 of multiple plastics and weights just to find the one I like!! :wall:

^ I hate these kinds of answers :(

Makes it very difficult to buy discs on line. Which is really my only choice, since other than a Dicks or Sport Authority (both have pitiful selections), the nearest place is 1 hour away and they mostly have just innova.

Gets even worse when I see that two disc same mold, same plastic, same weight might have different charateristics. :doh:

Guess I'll just have to start buying 2-3 of multiple plastics and weights just to find the one I like!! :wall:

look for a store online that offers side pics some do. Elite x I usually find to be domey

KniceZ,
check Play It Again Sports. There's one in Fredericksburg.
Our store in Lancaster, PA has a pretty decent selection of Innova & Discraft.

KniceZ,
check Play It Again Sports. There's one in Fredericksburg.
Our store in Lancaster, PA has a pretty decent selection of Innova & Discraft.
Yep... it's right by rt 17 and rt 1. Few miles from Pratt Park.

Note: it's closed on sundays.

Been there several times and they haven't had much - 20-30 beat up (5/10) discs and maybe 10-15 new ones. They usually say they should be getting more in soon! Maybe I'm just too picky. The Blockhouse has a great selection I just don't get out there.

Just get good at controlling your discs and the differences between runs won't seem that important anymore.

I'm only going to agree with that 50% of the time, maybe less, depending on the mold.....unless you're referring to only one mold and in one plastic for comparison there. Seems to be a bigger problem with Innova than with Discraft or Lat 64 in my experience, but some are so vastly different.

Get in the habit of talking to the online store personnel and asking them what they have. Most of the online stores have knowledgable people who are glad to help.

I'll agree that there are some molds where the difference from run to run is so wild it's like you're throwing different discs, but I find it's just best to avoid those molds. There's almost always another, and usually better, alternative. Yeah you could stock pile the "good" Flashes and hope you don't lose them, or you could just throw Orcs instead. Sure the "good" Flashes are probably marginally better, but the difference won't be big enough to justify all the time spent hunting them down. Unless, of course, you enjoy hunting them down. Then it probably is worth it.

I am talking about one mold and plastic. I was responding directly to what KinceZ wrote.

Now that I'll agree with. :)

This whole mess is what has me switching gradually to Lat 64, Millenium, and others. I'm not a fan of hunting down the right run or stockpiling. I'll keep extras and buy a couple of something I really like, but it gets to be a huge pain. Plastic/injection molding idiosyncrasies aside, I think the PDGA needs to crack down a bit on mold consistency since there isn't much self-policing going on. It's getting way out of hand, at least with Innova.