• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

So Eviliina .. What's going on with her arm turning at the pull back? Which I think is also the hit or tendon bounce.. It's interesting how far back it is. Never seen that or noticed it before.

Love those GIFs, keep it up!

So Eviliina .. What's going on with her arm turning at the pull back? Which I think is also the hit or tendon bounce.. It's interesting how far back it is. Never seen that or noticed it before.

Love those GIFs, keep it up!
You talking about the arm/disc rotating from anhyzer to hyzer to the top of the backswing?

Wiggin's been clocked 100mph. Also note the same little rotation of the arm/disc to the top of the backswing as Eveliina.
attachment.php

veDfb08.png

If we're gonna get into semantics, then we should be talking about stepping past the disc/working your body around the disc.

I really think this is a largely overlooked concept. And I think SW's door frame drill is the best way to show it

Is this really true? Any citations for this?

I'm not sure if it's true for a whip, but it's true for a slingshot. When you first draw it back the elastic will feel warm, the longer you wait, some energy will be lost to the surrounding air instead of transferred to the stone as kinetic energy when you release it.

I'm not sure how much our muscles and tendons compare to an elastic band, but if they do at all, coiling them during the throwing motion should result in more elastic rebound than pre-coiling.

I'm not sure if it's true for a whip, but it's true for a slingshot. When you first draw it back the elastic will feel warm, the longer you wait, some energy will be lost to the surrounding air instead of transferred to the stone

Hmmmmm, you sure about that? I would appreciate a citation for this as well. Under your model the heat energy is converted back into kinetic energy along with the elastic potential energy. Seems dubious to me; by what means is the band converting heat energy into kinetic energy?

I'm not sure if it's true for a whip, but it's true for a slingshot. When you first draw it back the elastic will feel warm, the longer you wait, some energy will be lost to the surrounding air instead of transferred to the stone as kinetic energy when you release it.

I'm not sure how much our muscles and tendons compare to an elastic band, but if they do at all, coiling them during the throwing motion should result in more elastic rebound than pre-coiling.
I think its really just that the pre-coil can't take advantage of the weight of the disc causing lag in the wrist as the arm goes from coiling to uncoiling. It's really hard to see on video, but during the "coil" part of the shot, if your wrist is properly loose, the weight of the disc moving forward will actually pull the wrist into more flexion right before the uncoiling.

And that's why if you try throwing too early with your arm, your hand ends up more on front of the disc which results in less redirection/acceleration.

Last edited:
I think its really just that the pre-coil can't take advantage of the weight of the disc causing lag in the wrist as the arm goes from coiling to uncoiling. It's really hard to see on video, but during the "coil" part of the shot, if your wrist is properly loose, the weight of the disc moving forward will actually pull the wrist into more flexion right before the uncoiling.

And that's why if you try throwing too early with your arm, your hand ends up more on front of the disc which results in less redirection/acceleration.

I think that is the case as well, I was more just responding to Sidewinder's statement regarding slingshots.

You can believe this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4TEX2erog&t=189s

or google rubber elasticity

I believe the video, and I also believe you are mistaken ;)

When you stretch out a rubber band, some of the potential energy is lost as the rubber band deforms. As you hold a rubber band stretched out, it is continually deforming, and losing its elasticity. In order for this to happen the energy in the system leaks via heat.

Your assertion that the heat is converted back into kinetic energy is wrong. If that were the case, one could simply heat up an elastic band to add to the kinetic energy. You would in fact have the worlds best heat exchange mechanism, and we would have no further use for turbines.

But of course that is not the case. The heat generated is lost forever from that system as soon as it is generated, there is no way to incorporate that back into the system. Instead, what is happening is that there is a continual generation of heat as the band deforms. It is not the loss of the existing heat that causes a loss of potential energy, but the continuous generation of new heat. At some point, the stretched band will be completely deformed and lose all elasticity and in turn will stop generating heat.

I would say this has nothing to do with the disc golf throw. By pre-coiling your arm you are not deforming an elastic band. Your arm, muscles, and tendons are at rest.

I think its really just that the pre-coil can't take advantage of the weight of the disc

+1. This is the reason you snap a towel from straight as well; there is more mass to work with on an extended towel. And for the record I snap a towel from a pre-coiled position; the speed of the strike makes up for the reduced force ;)

By pre-coiling your arm you are not deforming an elastic band. Your arm, muscles, and tendons are at rest.
If you are pre-coiling then you are tightening your muscles and resisting gravity and lag from the disc's inertia and your arm that would stretch your arm straight/pulled taut. At rest and loose, your arm/disc would hang straight down and pulled taut via gravity.

If you are pre-coiling then you are tightening your muscles and resisting gravity and lag from the disc's inertia and your arm that would stretch your arm straight/pulled taut. At rest and loose, your arm/disc would hang straight down and pulled taut via gravity.

You are reaching (pun intended). There is no way that the force used to resist gravity is causing your tendons to lose elasticity. And even if it was it would act the exact same way on an extended arm.

Honestly I find your grasp of Newtonian physics to be tenuous. Mine is as well but you are the one proposing to educate here. At this point I am willing to say your idea of "dynamic coiling" is pseudo science until proven otherwise.

"dynamic coiling" is pseudo science until proven otherwise.

It's more commonly referred to as a 'stretch reflex' and it's a very real term (just used a lot more in resistance training than anything else)

also known as stretch-shortening cycle

Last edited:

Latest posts