• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Real Aces?

Was in a my first tournament and we get to a 125' wide open hole. I say to the guy on my card, "This so close it shouldn't count as an Ace if you make it!" He goes "Yea it is close but, we'll see." He then proceeds to ace it. I tell him "sh!t man, I suppose that was cool enough, I'd count that after all!"

I just made my first Ace on that same hole on Monday, Hole 5 red fox. It's pathetic but an Ace is an Ace.

Don't hate me, but I slightly agree with OP. My home course is brutally difficult (Shady Oaks in Orangevale), there are only a couple holes that have ace potential without being able to drive 400+ feet on a straight laser, and even then you have to somehow miss 20 trees. Now when i hear people that have been playing for 1 year and have multiple aces...or I read in a post here recently a guy was claiming to have 3 aces with his Pure in the past week; we are obviously not on an equal playing field. There actually are a couple little courses in my area that are mostly 200 footers with little trees, I'm sure I can rack up some aces if I actually played them, but I simply don't play those courses. Now if that type of course is all you have around you, then so be it...and I would never take an Ace away from you, you earned it and congrats. But just understand that some aces are much more difficult than others. And I really don't want to hear about your 3 aces in the past week with your putter; because you climbed a 200 foot mountain 3 times, others are attempting to climb Everest!

Thanks for listening.

If you really worry about other people having more aces than you, just lie and tell them you have more. Or, you could stop caring, realize that you are probably a better golfer, and move on with your dignity.

Some aces are just easier than others. If it was a tournament and you put the disc in the basket on your 1st throw from the tee box you score it as a 1. That's an ace. Tourney or not, a 1 is a 1, and a 1 is an ace. That's as real as it gets.

Tom Marshall?

A ace is a ace! If you get it in the basket first throw that = ACE!

Does a golfer that gets a hole in one on a par 3 not count it? Come on people.

Speaking of which my buddy got his second ace yesterday on a 177ft hole on a blind hole! Still waiting on mine!

My opinion is unless it's a tourney who gives a **** what someone does and doesn't count as an ace.

I regularly beat players by 10 strokes or so who have over 5 aces. I have yet to hit one, and when I do I will have a better score on a hole than I ever had before. Won't hear me bragging, or ragging other people about how short their aces are. If its a league round or tourney round, I will take my ace pot and smile and wave:)

I think what he's getting at, is, at what point does it become ridiculous ?
If I put a tee box 30' from a basket, is this still an ace ?
I sure would have alot more if I played those courses with 70' holes more, I splash from that distance all the time.
One hundred million aces are worthless if they're really just putts, its supposed to be a challenge, something that's not easy.

I feel anything wide open, under 200', is an approach, so its not really an ace, or one you should brag about, even if you count it.
These are my rules, and nobody else has to live by them, just me.

thank you. this is the main point i was trying to make. yes, i titled this thread badly. i apologize. i didnt mean that if its a wide open hole thats 150' and you get it in one throw that it shouldnt count for anything. yea it counts as an ace. i havent been to that many courses but the ones i play at mostly dont have holes like this. there is a course near me that has no hole over 240 and is mostly open. i dont think anyone is going to be playing league or tournament rounds there where money comes into play at a course like that. if theres a course that has a hole like that and you ace it then go ahead and take the money if its involved. i just dont think its something to be bragged about. that is all im trying to say.

also to the people who are saying they had aces that were <200' but were blind shots or obstacles and asking if i think those wouldnt be impressive, if you would have actually read what i said you would know the answer to that

I haven't got my first Ace yet but I've only been playing 4-5 months. With my limited experience I just don't have the arm to get there on most holes yet but when I do get my first I'll be happy no matter how long or short the hole is. :D

I've got two nice 200+ birdies from the fairway though and I was ecstatic on both!

Last edited:
i think it only counts as an ace if you use your off hand and you throw a grenade.

...with a putter.

i've had a couple dominant hand grenade throw-ins from about 60 feet in my backyard. a good number of 'scooby shots' (upside down grenade shot) as well. do any of those count? they sure are fun.

I would say a 150' open shot is fairly impressive. I'd be very surprised to see OP hit 1/10.

i'd be glad to hit metal 3/10 times and get all of the putts in.

Last edited:
and this is awesome too.

braging about an ace there is like bragging you beat a blind guy at darts.

I use a formula for mine: The number of feet to the basket + the number of trees within X feet to the left or right of the path of the disc * (10 - X feet). If you score over 232, its an ace.

If the basket is 100 ft away and there are 27 trees within 5 feet to either side of the flight path of the disc then you score 235 points and it is an ace.

+15 for a leaner (still working on my first ace).

somehow my roommate and i got talking about the ideas of sport and competition and looked up some info about the modern decathlon competition. the scoring system they use is quite detailed and i found it fascinating. check it out here, pretty similar to what evan suggested (although it was in jest).

i got my first leaner ace a few weeks ago, but there was a sign on the bottom of the pole. so i don't think it counts.

The first ace I ever saw in person was on a 514 foot hole at Sioux Passage here in St. Louis. Ever since then, I generally just cry after I throw a shot.

i got some shorts aces. s'wrong with that. it does get tricky on portable baskets tho huh.:wall:

I haven't got my first Ace yet but I've only been playing 4-5 months. With my limited experience I just don't have the arm to get there on most holes yet but when I do get my first I'll be happy no matter how long or short the hole is. :D

I've got two nice 200+ birdies from the fairway though and I was ecstatic on both!

This truly boggles my mind as to what type of holes these are in terms of distance...

As for the OP, if I throw 1 disc off the teepad and I hear it hit the hole's basket, that friggen disc is an Ace. On my home course, most of the back nine is fairly short, yet there are some nuts hyzers and huge flipping trees in the way.

I'm going to count all my Aces, regardless of length, until the cows come home! Speaking of which, I'm glad they aren't home yet as I don't have one. :D

i've had a couple dominant hand grenade throw-ins from about 60 feet in my backyard. a good number of 'scooby shots' (upside down grenade shot) as well.

An upside down grenade is a spike hyzer, no?

A grenade is a spike hyzer with the disc upside down, IIRC.

This truly boggles my mind as to what type of holes these are in terms of distance...

One was on a dogleg left uphill hole that is about 480' total but is 200' to the dogleg at the top of the hill. It's a par 4. My shot off the tee went wild. My second shot I recovered to the top of the hill on the fairway. My next throw dropped it in the basket. As a rookie I was pretty happy with my performance.

The second was just a straight 409' par 3 hole but my shot off the tee hit a tree 200' down the fairway. And of course my next shot went in.

Keep in mind I haven't been playing long and I don't have much of an arm. My typical drive off the tee is only about 280.

As for the OP, if I throw 1 disc off the teepad and I hear it hit the hole's basket, that friggen disc is an Ace. On my home course, most of the back nine is fairly short, yet there are some nuts hyzers and huge flipping trees in the way.

I'm going to count all my Aces, regardless of length, until the cows come home! Speaking of which, I'm glad they aren't home yet as I don't have one. :D

You would count it even if it did not stay in the basket? Only if you hear it hit?

If this is the case then I would make a lot more putts, just close my eyes and if it hits metal then it counts:)

My only ace was on a 380' hole, but it played closer to 350'. Does that make it less impressive? F*** if I care! I got an ace!