• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Really new to the game, need help.

JonathanXz

Bogey Member
Really new to the game, need help.

Postby JonathanNY » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:11 pm
I started right at the end of August. I played with mostly putters and mids until a few weeks ago. Then I started to add in steps, I somehow developed really nasty OAT. Today in the field I fixed it for the most part and I had my buddy film me so I could get some more help. I know I'm going pretty slow, but that's because if I go any faster I lose control, I just need more practice. For the most part, the discs all went roughly where I was throwing them. I don't know exactly how far they went, roughly 200' - 270'. Most were probably clumped in the 220ish range. (I used the stride distance calculator and googles conversion of fraction of miles to feet so not super accurate). This is only a few throws. I didn't want to post 3 minutes of me throwing 20 discs.

http://youtu.be/MakBYxtKIUk

If at all possible I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, what I'm doing right and what I need to do (not necessarily in that order).

Things I already know:

I think I need to take bigger strides, which is part of going faster.

I think I need another step in there, Left, Right, Left (behind right) Right (plant foot) is that correct?

I know I need to pivot on my heel, I just found this out and I'm not sure how to get that to be natural. I busted a lace today pivoting on the front of my foot, I need to get some waterproof shoes for winter!

I know you guys are observant and before someone thinks (or mentions) the grip bag. No I don't like to waste money, I just happen to have a girlfriend who wanted to spoil me for my birthday. When I asked why she spent so much she replied "I did some research and it seemed like it was one of the best, it has a lifetime warranty!". What am I going to do, say no? ;)

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

I am no technique guru so I'll simply suggest not trying to work on a ton of things at once. Take the good advice you'll get from people on here, and try to break your progress or improvement into manageable steps. I really suck when I try to work on more than a couple things at once.

There is some good info in the technique sticky. Read, re-read and repeat.

*Not an expert*

Two things jump out at me: you keep your throwing arm straight and whirl the disc around you. You should keep the disc close to your chest so it travels in a straight line. This requires you to bend your elbow during the pull until it is pointing towards the target and the disc is against your right pec. Which leads me too...the right pec drill, which you should definitely practice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
One thing that was key for getting this to click with me was this video about linking the right pec drill to the rest of your throw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_bQatJksuw&feature=related

The other thing that is obvious to me is that your weight is too far back when the disc leaves your hand. You kind of fall back and to the right as you release instead of powering forward. You can transfer more energy into the disc with your weight more forward, and it's easier to keep the nose down too. Also, you're pretty flat footed the whole time.

That's all I have, and if I'm off then someone will correct me. And I don't know how to embed those videos.

Thank you for the replies!

Yes I do have a pretty awesome girlfriend, and I actually did meet her on pof :p

A question about the right pec drill. I've seen Dan's video and I've tried it. My problem when I tried it was I tried it when I got the "slow slow slow FAST" thing in my head. And I just can't get ANY distance with the right peck drill. Which probably says a lot. I don't know if I can start off doing it with a little reach back, like a left peck drill?

I'll try those tips, thank you. It doesn't matter to me if anyone is an "expert" everyone at this point is better than me. I'll take advice ;)

Thanks again.

I don't know if I can start off doing it with a little reach back, like a left peck drill?

Well, the point of the drill is to nail that one part of the throw without having to worry about the rest of it until later when you add a reach-back and run-up little by little. I wouldn't mess with it. I wouldn't worry about distance either at first. Just try to do what Dan does exactly, and go for a flat release with some snap.

What kind of grip are you using and are you really trying to hold onto the disc so it pops out? Don't just let go.

Pull in closer to you chest, the speed comes from the chop of the lower arm forward not from the pull. Think of slowly pull starting a lawn mower then quickly snapping the lower arm forward.

Get your weight a little more forward.

Don't worry about bigger steps, that makes it hard to get your weight forward and get the hip rotation you need to create power.

Just read and watch all the videos you can. You may also want to check out :

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles.shtml

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm not sure who I saw show this grip, I think it was Avery I'm sure a bunch of people use it. My index and pinky are flat against the rim and my middle and ring are tucked.

I'm a little confused, if I really try and hold onto the disc I don't think it would come out. I'm sure that speaks volumes! Am I not supposed to open my hand at all? If I hold onto the disc and someone tries to pull it out of my hand it's not going to happen, so I can't see it coming out when I try and throw.

I've been trying to read and watch all I can. There's a lot of information out there. I find myself watching replays of pro tournaments which I know won't really help me much, but I find it really entertaining ;)

For now don't put a death grip on it, just grip it tight enough that if you give it a wrist snap that it doesn't slip. When you give it the final snap (from right peck out) it will come out. Trust me - if you get ride of the windmill arm swing and pull in a straight line with late acceleration - it will come out. Don't let go!!!

Don't watch the videos of the pros in tournaments - watch the instructional videos. I like the ones from Discraft.

it just looks like you are throwing at 40% effort.
You've clearly been doing research because you are doing a lot right.

Last edited:
For now don't put a death grip on it, just grip it tight enough that if you give it a wrist snap that it doesn't slip. When you give it the final snap (from right peck out) it will come out. Trust me - if you get ride of the windmill arm swing and pull in a straight line with late acceleration - it will come out. Don't let go!!!

Don't watch the videos of the pros in tournaments - watch the instructional videos. I like the ones from Discraft.

I don't watch videos from tournaments to get better, I watch them because I really enjoy how people play at the highest level. Two months ago I barely knew this game existed. Now when I see a 500' huge hyzer all I can think is "beautiful" :p

Anyways, back on topic! Thanks everyone for the input.

I didn't really realize how much I was "windmilling" even from just watching that video. I can tell but I didn't realize how severe it was. I slowed it down and it's like my arm gets to my left shoulder and starts to come out. I knew I was pulling it in close from my reach back but didn't realize how bad it was from there!

I've recently incorporated the run up. I'm definitely not putting everything into it, if I lose a lot of control, and I don't have a ton to begin with. I'm really inconsistent. I'm not sure if it's the correct course of action, but my plan was to get my form down at a slow pace with less power and ramp it up.

Whenever I get passionate about something, I become a student of it. I haven't had the time to do as much research as I'd like. When I started I was doing everything wrong (including buying a wraith as one of my first discs) reaching under my off arm for my pull back etc. I've really tried to work on improving, I'm just really thankful that the Disc Golf community is so helpful. Aside from the abundance of knowledge that's out there, folks like you guys are willing to offer up your time an advice to players that need it. I only hope some day that I can return the favor and pass on some knowledge to some new players when I'm not so bad ;)

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.

I'm a little confused, if I really try and hold onto the disc I don't think it would come out. I'm sure that speaks volumes! Am I not supposed to open my hand at all? If I hold onto the disc and someone tries to pull it out of my hand it's not going to happen, so I can't see it coming out when I try and throw.

Then it should be easy to find for your second throw.

Things I already know:

I think I need another step in there, Left, Right, Left (behind right) Right (plant foot) is that correct?

I know I need to pivot on my heel, I just found this out and I'm not sure how to get that to be natural. I busted a lace today pivoting on the front of my foot, I need to get some waterproof shoes for winter!
IMO, you're barking up the wrong tree on all three of those. The first one will likely make your weight transfer problems worse (you aren't shifting forward enough). The second one won't do anything. You should be able to throw with no steps. The third one is a byproduct of having your timing and weight shift correct.

The big things I see are that your shoulders are way ahead of your elbow way too early (which is causing the "windmilling") and that your weight isn't being shifted properly. Rather than trying to individually fix everything, I'd highly recommend the hammer pound drills, which will teach you the feeling you are trying to obtain when doing the right pec drill, then build your throw from the hit back like in the Dan Beto video.

Being a noob myself I can't add anything as far as technique...I'm watching this thread to see what I can learn.

However, I can tell you that bigger strides mean more speed is a myth. There are two reasons:
1)The more time your feet spend in the air the less time they are
spending propelling you. I heard this back when I was playing softball. I started taking shorter, quicker steps when running and saw an increase in speed.

2)The more extended you are the less balanced you will tend to be. When you are not balanced you can not propel yourself as well, nor can you do so as effectively.

The combination of being able to push more and being more balanced also allows you to change direction, and put your body into an effort, much easier and better. This would seem to me to be something that you must be able to do in order to throw effectively.

Come to think of it, this is all true in fencing. Watch a good fencing match match (or sword fight) and you will see how they are careful not to overextend....

im going to agree with Knicez, looks like the disc is just falling out of your hand way too early. hold on to it and get a full extension...you will throw way off to the right when you start throwing it correct...just adjust your body around! to where that is your straight throw! and your body should be moving forward after the throw...not sideways or backwards

I am no pro so I am just going to say things that helped me.

It looks like your form is developing well. I can't tell your grip from the video but the pure power grip can be a little hard to throw accurately at first. You may want some in between of the power and control grip to get the flight pattern you want from your discs. I can't tell how the discs flew after the release but just remember the follow through is important as well so just keep that in mind. You want to release most discs with the front lip parallel to the ground. If the front lip is up you will lose distance that way because it will lose speed upward and then end up fading further left for you at the end. Start with discs with speed 5 and work your way up. You don't need as much power to get distance and a nice looking line from them. If you can get control up to 250' or 300' feet you are in good position to be able to par any hole if your putts go in. It's good use use the x step because that forces you to turn side ways and get the most torque out of your body. You really use the whole body to get a powerful throw. Just make sure you are going back about chest level and follow through at about the same height. You really want to snap the arm from behind you to out in front of you. Not arc it around. Throwing in a field is a great way to work on all of this. I always started with more under stable discs and moved to more stable. I found them easier to throw and get the distance I expected. I hope my comments help you out! Maybe post some videos of the flight path for us to comment on as well.

My thoughts exactly your form looks good but it just doesn't look like your putting power in there. Your arm speed looks like you don't wanna put everything into it. Just my opinion could be wrong but your not gonna get real distance weak saucing it. Not trying to be mean just trying to help

Latest posts