• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Recomendation for different fairway driver.

crd 81

Double Eagle Member
I posted this in a other thread but decided it might be worth a thread of it's own.

I have been throwing the Eagle (EX) for some time and I am thinking about taking the Eagles out. I like the Eagle but I find taking more exertion to go further.

I am looking for a fairway that is longer and doesn't take as long to season. I want something that can lock on a line, (straight, hyzer, anhyzer), good at tunnel shots, and shapeable.

With that in mind, I have been looking at the Rival, Pipeline, Phenom, FD, and Patriot? Whichever I get, I will pair it with either a stable or understable control driver. For reference, my max distance is around 380-400.

What do you all recommend?

Edit: I realize I left off a "m" in "recommendation" in the title. Oh well.

Last edited:
Max D 380-400 with high speed stuff, so you will be throwing this fairway in the 350'+/- range?

FD is great for this where it will do straight tunnel shots, or hold very mild hyzer or anhyzers. It's not super finicky either. While the River can do this, you have the power to where the River's glide may be a detriment rather than a bonus...it can do some incredible shots but also can be harder to pinpoint its landing zone. Also they can be finicky sometimes, and not correct your mistakes. Rivals I have tried were like very nice Teebirds, could be what you want...except the new ones may be more overstable. Look at the Rival thread to try to figure that out.

My suggestion is FD though, it's like a -1/1 flight but subtle enough turn/fade that you can do lots of lines with it. Then it needs to be complemented with something more firmly straight and overstable of a finish to handle lines that cannot drift. I think FD plus Thunderbird is a good minimal pairing, I guess Discmania people go FD/PD.

Max D 380-400 with high speed stuff, so you will be throwing this fairway in the 350'+/- range?

Yes, the 350 or so range. Sorry for not clarifying.

The FD does sound good. I have tried the River in the past and it was to unpredictable for me. If I put too much power on it, it would turn and burn. Not enough and it would hyzer out. Hard to range.

I think I am getting to the point where I would rather have something like the FD in the woods because it takes less power to get going whereas more stable discs require more power. Dealing with low ceilings, tight windows, elevation, teepads, etc make me want to shy away from more stable fairways for wooded courses.

That's why I would rather use a stable control for power and hyzer shots and something like the FD for wooded courses.

Thanks for the help! I have been mulling over it for some time.

VIP Stag, it's like a glidey Eagle with the turn of an EL and the fade of an EX but it's very late fading.

From what you're saying I stand by the FD recommendation. Great for woods because you can hit a gap with a touch of hyzer and it will just push forward. The fade is soft/drifty, enough that it won't get lost on you unless you try to turn it over or extremely mess up, but not so much that you ever have to think about throwing it "hard enough" at your power level. The FD is consistent enough that I could throw it on an open shot, although I agree I'd rather throw something more stable like a Teebird/Thunderbird to minimize potential errors, whereas the River is much harder to range as you have seen.

I haven't tried a Pipeline/Phenom/Stalker. I've only thrown a Patriot once in the last year, and it flew very similar to an FD or very mild Teebird with a little turn. It was nice, but I haven't thrown one enough to know where they beat to, whereas the FD seems pretty long-wearing because it has such a blunt shape. The TL is also a really good mild/straight fairway, although I feel like they have a tendency to fade a bit more than the FD if they are powered down.

Last edited:
I used to throw the PD/FD. They pair really well together. I found I also needed to throw in a XXX and hatchet for bookend utilities. I am currently throwing predator and undertaker and am loving it. I have bookend Machete and avenger SS now.

I find it easier it differentiate between when to throw what with this lineup. The Undertaker can throw as far as I needed PDs to go yet can also be controlled on FD lines once worked in a bit. Less overlap for me. Although I was throwing 2nd run and 3rd run FDs which are the more stable FDs. I also find the undertakers glide to be more predictable than the FD. The FD can go so far sometimes.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I would second the FD recommendations or possibly the CD2 if you want more fade and even more easy distance.

I will suggest the Z Stalker. Mostly because it's one of my favorite molds and you'll feel the same way once you work it into your game.

Thanks for the replies.

Following up with the other suggestions:

Cd2- A good recommendation but my hyzer out more than I want on some shots.

Stalker- It is a shorter fairway and that's something I don't want.

JLS- Another good recommendation that I might consider. In the flip-side it may not as be as long as the discs that are on my list.

Stag- I have thrown it before and it seemed more stable than what I am considering.

Eagle-L- This is a disc I wish Innova would have given another name. It's a good disc but, from my understanding, it is being phased out due to the Eagle-X.

I am leaning more towards the FD, Patriot, or Pipeline. I have found it hard to differeniate between the FD and Patriot since they seem so similar. The Pipeline doesn't seem to have a lot of reviews and it's only available in one plastic (the SP are limited runs). Heck, it may come down to who I want to support more.

Any feedback on the differences between the FD, Patriot, and Pipeline would be appreciated.

I've been messing with a similar slot and testing the sp pipeline and sirius OLS. I was loving the pipeline but I'm getting better snap these days and I find it getting touchy and less stable than I want, both a 171g and 175g. I have a new 175g OLS that I'd rate 9/5/-1/2, and a moderately beat 171g that's about 9/5/-2.5/1.5. I find them less touchy and less prone to turning over. Bagging both for now and ditching the pipeline.

Keep in mind I'm a bit of a noodle arm, max distance about 350 and throwing those just mentioned about 300.

Thanks for the replies.

Following up with the other suggestions:

Cd2- A good recommendation but my hyzer out more than I want on some shots.

Stalker- It is a shorter fairway and that's something I don't want.

JLS- Another good recommendation that I might consider. In the flip-side it may not as be as long as the discs that are on my list.

Stag- I have thrown it before and it seemed more stable than what I am considering.

Eagle-L- This is a disc I wish Innova would have given another name. It's a good disc but, from my understanding, it is being phased out due to the Eagle-X.

I am leaning more towards the FD, Patriot, or Pipeline. I have found it hard to differeniate between the FD and Patriot since they seem so similar. The Pipeline doesn't seem to have a lot of reviews and it's only available in one plastic (the SP are limited runs). Heck, it may come down to who I want to support more.

Any feedback on the differences between the FD, Patriot, and Pipeline would be appreciated.

Given this, I would say you should also look at a Legacy Pinnacle Phenom. Its a bit like a longer Patriot /TL hybrid. I've got two of them and they bomb on long straight lines with a mellow finish.

Given this, I would say you should also look at a Legacy Pinnacle Phenom. Its a bit like a longer Patriot /TL hybrid. I've got two of them and they bomb on long straight lines with a mellow finish.

I've heard it is a little understable, so which plastic(s) and weight(s) is going to be closer to the -1/2 flight rating which Legacy gives it?

Pinnacle plastic 173-175. They fly like slightly faster FDs. I put mine at 8/5/-1/1.5. Weights less than 170g have more turn on them and fly like stable Rivers or longer worn in Patriots.

Long time JLS lover here. They're LONG for such a narrow rim...just sayin'

Crave is my first recommendation followed by the JLS. Never clicked with the Patriot and for some reason always refused to try an FD...

I use PDs for this now but if you don't want to go that fast what I used to do was use a DX Eagle X (they're sneaky bombers) or a light Star EX to complement my Ch. EX. I still toss a fresh DX EX in the bag for risky holes, they're great.

SOLF and SOLS are also decent steps up from the EX. The OLF is basically the original longer Eagle.

Thanks for the replies. I have read through the each suggestion and I might consider a disc or two as an option, namely FD and JLS.

Based on what I want and what I have researched, I have come up with a couple of tentative set-ups:

Rival- moderately overstable, stable
Sail- understable, hyzer-flip, tight, low power shots.
Fireball- overstable

Orion lf- moderately overstable, stable
Phenom- straight, understable, tunnel shots
Fireball- Overstable

I include the Fireball because it is already a part of my setup. I think both setups are good, but I think the Rival, Sail, Fireball setup creates more separation from the other setup. That and I think the Rival doesn't start off as beefy as the OLF which I prefer.

With the first set-up, I think the Sail is good to have in the woods because of it's understable nature. The Rival is good for straight to fade and eagle-like shots but further, and it can beat in nicely for powered anhyzers.. The Fireball is for beefy shots and extreme hyzers.

Basically, I like the idea of the first set-up for an all around game regardless of a wooded or open course.

What do you all think?

Latest posts