• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend Favorite Course Maps

Go on Google Earth or even Google Maps, take a screen snapshot of the property, load it into a drawing program and draw the hole routes on it.

easier than that. Create a new map on google maps (was called 'my maps'). Draw your routes, baskets, whatever. Save it, share it, edit it, or open up to editing to whomever you want.

Not exactly the easy route, but I use this program, Inkscape, for any of my graphic needs. I just copied the image from Google Maps into one layer and then drew over the map in another layer. Here's the one I made of my home course:

Carey Park Disc Golf Course

Course in Colombia, Google Earth a bust

Google Earth does not show much detail other than roads in the area and the GE photo has mostly cloud cover. Unfortunately, we are spoiled with the images for the US! I do like the cleanliness of this last course map at Carey Park though.

Any other recommendations? :\

Nothing special, but I made this map (of Gauche Park) using Google Maps & Windows Paint. Simple & free.

I don't know who does their map work, but the ones done in Louisville are really good, such as this one for Seviren Lang.

Finally, not necessarily something you can duplicate, but you asked for favorites, and I've never seen anything this cool. The online (flash) map at Surge DGC. Scroll over it to get blown away. :clap:

These are two of my favorite maps which were evidently created by a graphics professional using much more expensive software such as Adobe Illustrator.

7cc6b68a.jpg

Alexander Park in Lawrenceville GA.

and

2ef3e58f.jpg

Richmond Hill in Asheville NC

I especially like how the valley elevation is apparent on the Richmond Hill map.

^^^ Those are great! :clap:
I really like maps that show the fairway areas and the major obstacles, too. Being able to show elevation is fantastic!

I used a google map image but because the picture was taken years before we cut the fairways out of dense forest the image doesnt show the fairways and i had to draw them on.

Attachments

• full 18 front back.JPG
    full 18 front back.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 60
Bing Maps' "birds eye view" at times can be much more interesting and/or better than Google aerial maps.

Even though I love (and envy) the artistry and obvious effort/talent on many of the more artistic maps, those made with real aerial imagery are much more useful for navigation purposes.....which is the main purpose of a map.

Including hole distances and par (real par with skill level noted) is very important to the usefulness of the maps (especially if tee signs are do not have that info).

Bing Maps' "birds eye view" at times can be much more interesting and/or better than Google aerial maps.

Google Maps also has the same birds-eye type aerials, although the coverage doesn't seem as wide as Bing's. But it's always good to check both sources since their pictures are different and one may be better than the other.

i created this image using inkscape on top of a google image.
it's not yet ready for prime time, tho, mostly because the course isn't finished yet!

9668_358451444250890_178576355_n.png

Here's a Bird's Eye view I made that a lot of people liked. I wouldn't use it as THE course map. I don't like having the distances be disproportionate from one end of the map to the other, nor the flight paths being distorted by perspective.

It might work as a portrait, for an ad or flyer maybe.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AcornBirdsEye.jpg
    AcornBirdsEye.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 165
A pet peeve about maps that can be easily avoided. Make them readable when printed in black and white.

Text and lines need to be be contrasting to the background. Text needs to be big enough to read. For instance, red text/lines on green background might look good on the screen (maybe not to colorblind folks), but it does not show up when printed on a b&w printer.

You think I added those? Haven't you played the course and seen those huge letters looming over everything? The baseball players hate them.