• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Google Maps

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hey guys,

So Google has changed things up and they are now charging for maps. Before you'd get like 25,000 loads per day for free... well that has changed to a monthly limit of 25,000 now. Due to the traffic the site gets, I either need to look for an alternative mapping provider and re-write a ton of code or start limiting access to premium users.

Right now the browse map is continuing to work without a key. I'll continue to do that until it stops working and then add a key and see how it shakes out. It's really irritating for me since it's such a integral part of the site but at the same time, I simply can't afford to start paying hundreds per month to keep it accessible if it comes to that. They say something about "degraded" performance at a certain point (blurrier tiles, says developer mode on it, maybe more?) which if that's all that happens when you run out of "free" views then so be it, at least it'll still work. The pricing is here for those interested:

https://developers.google.com/maps/...d-billing#pricing-for-the-maps-javascript-api

I did have to remove the little static map from the course pages for regular users since with the $200 monthly "credit" google gives you, that would give me about 100,000 loads of that. I realized it wasn't working this morning so I took the time to fix it and within a couple of hours it was at at 4000+ loads. Clearly not going to stay under the limit there. The pricing for that is below:

https://developers.google.com/maps/...e-and-billing#pricing-for-the-maps-static-api

Assuming 10,000 of those static map loads per day, which is on the low end, just showing that little image to everyone would end up costing me around $300/mo.

Anyway, that's the deal as of now. I'll keep you updated if anything else should change and if you notice the browse map broken one day, please let me know.

Last edited:
I saw that but then read this on their wiki:

Please note that tile images are coming from the OpenStreetMap servers. Although OSM are supporting this kind of usage at the moment, we offer no guarantees. There may be downtime (planned or unplanned), and tile URLs may change.
If you are expecting heavy user load, then you should discuss with everyone first (Contact). You should consider following the other instructions on creating your own tiles, or set up your own squid cache for tiles. This will reduce the dependency for you, and will ease bandwidth usage for the OSM servers.
Of course the images themselves (our maps) change over time too, not necessarily for the better.

Also, you can't make heavy use of their resources without permission, they actually recommend mapbox among others.

Last edited:
Yeah well, Google is really hurting for money these days. Maybe if you make the site look like it's based in China Google will continue to let you use the maps like before. :|

I'll probably mess with mapbox next week and see if I can make it do what I want. The "sales" lady wasn't particularly helpful answering my questions.

The map feature is arguably DGCR's most important feature. At any given time, the number of lurkers logged on is something like 3-5 times the number of members.

If map box or other options don't work out, maybe it's time for those long time lurkers to join, and pony up $5/yr to keep using the site. I guess even the DGCR members that don't currently help sponsor the site financially.

The more people to spilt costs among, the lower the cost per person.

Start a GoFundMe to pay for the google maps. I've seen less worthy things get a crapload more money than you will need for a year.:\

I wouldn't want to have to do that every year. Right now it seems the map will work without a billing account associated. The little static maps required me to enter a credit card # to continue displaying.

The map feature is arguably DGCR's most important feature. At any given time, the number of lurkers logged on is something like 3-5 times the number of members.

If map box or other options don't work out, maybe it's time for those long time lurkers to join, and pony up $5/yr to keep using the site. I guess even the DGCR members that don't currently help sponsor the site financially.

The more people to spilt costs among, the lower the cost per person.

I'm hoping mapbox or maptiler work out. The latter is pretty economical if it comes to that, the $20 plan would probably handle the site well. I just don't look forward to rewriting all the map code so I'll put it off until then but I may be able to use one of these services to bring back the mini-map on the course pages.

the pdga website has a similar map? would be a pain for us but maybe cheaper for you to just link to that map?

With everyone having a phone and some sort of mapping/GPS app, are maps here even that vital? I understand they a convenient way to sate the curious mind, as to where a course is, while browsing, but are people using this site on their phone to get to courses while driving?

I generally write down an address or local direction, in its absence, and go the the GPS in my car. Maybe I am missing how maps are used here.

With everyone having a phone and some sort of mapping/GPS app, are maps here even that vital? I understand they a convenient way to sate the curious mind, as to where a course is, while browsing, but are people using this site on their phone to get to courses while driving?

I generally write down an address or local direction, in its absence, and go the the GPS in my car. Maybe I am missing how maps are used here.

about the same except i just let google maps on my phone find near by courses

the pdga website has a similar map? would be a pain for us but maybe cheaper for you to just link to that map?
I don't think they were using something similar to the static maps I had to hide from standard members. I haven't played with the alternative map providers yet and so far the standard map used for finding courses, etc. isn't counting against me so we're good on that. don't think that regular google map just stops working once you hit the limit, it supposedly "degrades" whatever that entails.

It's nice to pull up the course in the ap, and just tap on directions to have Google maps navigate me there.

Plus being able to visually see where courses are in relation to each other, as well as major hwys/roads, landmarks and such just plain makes planning trips way easier.

Thanks Tim for all you do. I'm a tech dummy so most of what you're saying is above my head. However, I will just write the address down and GPS it on my phone from now on to keep your uses per day down. It is less convenient but worth the effort if it makes your tasks easier.

Thanks Tim for all you do. I'm a tech dummy so most of what you're saying is above my head. However, I will just write the address down and GPS it on my phone from now on to keep your uses per day down. It is less convenient but worth the effort if it makes your tasks easier.
There's definitely no reason to do that! Please keep doing whatever you're doing now. By limiting views of the static map, I've already "fixed" the issue for the time being. I'm more annoyed that I had to do that since it was a cool little visual.

If limiting/eliminating the static map on the Course Info page keeps everything else running smoothly: I'm down with that.
That's a "nice to have" type thing at best, but if it's bumping up the # of requests the site makes, I say nix it.

As far as I'm concerned, the Browse Maps functionality and the Road Trip planning function are what's really important, as well as the ability to just tap on the directions from the ap to have google tell me where to go.

Who's with me here?

If limiting/eliminating the static map on the Course Info page keeps everything else running smoothly: I'm down with that.
That's a "nice to have" type thing at best, but if it's bumping up the # of requests the site makes, I say nix it.

As far as I'm concerned, the Browse Maps functionality and the Road Trip planning function are what's really important, as well as the ability to just tap on the directions from the ap to have google tell me where to go.

Who's with me here?

Agreed. Browse Map is essential, the static maps are just a fun feature.

Who's with me here?

Definitely Browse Map and Road Trip (VIP) are the most important to me. :hfive:

But I have Apple CarPlay so now I do like Ru4por and just enter the address there instead so I can get it on the big screen when driving. :D