• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend Favorite Course Maps

Kind of like the Australian billionaire with his promotional signs on the ball golf fairways for their tour event.

The lettering on the ball fields are actually painted on the ground to give it a 3D perspective from the air! Like 3D sidewalk art!

Kind of like the Australian billionaire with his promotional signs on the ball golf fairways for their tour event.

Golf Envy?
attachment.php

Attachments

• GolfEnvy.jpg
    GolfEnvy.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 155
Thanks all, this is a great thread! Glad to see people chiming in, and I'm enjoying the ideas and examples!

Now another question:

Any recommended apps for iPhone to make the map? I plan on walking the property and want to catch the locations of significant trees, fences, OB, buildings, etc. Such a map doesn't exist and doesn't show up on Google Earth. :confused:

I just downloaded Measure Map Lite for free, but haven't used it and it doesn't let you tag more than 6 points for free before downloading, and that's just enough to get some of the fenced in areas which probably require 5-7 points to map each.

There are some GeoCam apps that allow you to shoot a photo and capture the GPS coordinates from that location. Not sure what it's called for iPhone.

Every Trail app also, the app will show you where you walked , you can tag locations (exactly), take photos and they tag to the location (exactly) of where you snapped the pic, the upgraded version will give you more features. I like it because I can keep making new "trips" and keep them on my computer. It also records, elevation, time to walk, average sped, etc Its primarily for hikers/runners; but I find it very helpful when designing. I can "take the tour" or the land and go back to a map and trace my route. Go back again and a again, and overlay my paths to see where holes and fairways should go.
Its a great little 'tool' on the phone for map making too as you can tag start your trip, "Long Tee 1" and walk up to "Short Tee 1", track the faiway, tag Basket 1", pause your trip and go to tee 2, resume trip and go through the course pausing and restarting.... And bang you have an accurate and decent starting map to work with and export it into any photo editing program (or in-design if you have a the program)

I'll check out Easy Trails. That sounds like it would give me a good accurate draft that I could then use to design something around. I also downloaded Easy Measure which gives distances, so I can use that to measure some distances between trees and other obstacles I'd like to note on the map.

Thanks all, this is a great thread! Glad to see people chiming in, and I'm enjoying the ideas and examples!

Now another question:

Any recommended apps for iPhone to make the map? I plan on walking the property and want to catch the locations of significant trees, fences, OB, buildings, etc. Such a map doesn't exist and doesn't show up on Google Earth. :confused:

I just downloaded Measure Map Lite for free, but haven't used it and it doesn't let you tag more than 6 points for free before downloading, and that's just enough to get some of the fenced in areas which probably require 5-7 points to map each.

Don't rely on GPS waypoints to map or measure your course. GPS coordinates aren't accurate enough to be practical on the scale of a disc golf hole.

I completed this one.

531988_412053635540581_1389360937_n.jpg

Lots of fun making it. It is a wilderness course where general navigation was needed. This course is not tournament centered. The style was determined to be consistent with the feel of the experience and appeal to a broader demographic group.

Next: I'll be able to generate a blackline version for easy printing. Other variations can include an info box with hole length data, etc
There's even talk of using this in a tri-fold brochure that would include more about disc golf, park rules, and other handy info.

By the way, the hole shapes and pin placements are true to literal to vertical view dataset from google inputs. The artwork surrounds are done at the three quarter view as artistic elements.

Here's the course map I made for Lava Creek (printed on the back of scorecards):

attachment.php

Attachments

• LavaCreek_DGmap_WEB.jpg
    LavaCreek_DGmap_WEB.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 60
I don't know who did this, but I really like this map for Keizer Rapids Park near Salem, OR:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/3432/80d6d76c.jpg

I like the dotted-line trails between baskets to tees, the multi-use walking paths and how everything is clear. I'm big on using maps, especially my first time playing a course. I think its most important to put objects on maps that give you a frame of reference (on this one, the parks walking trails and water) between tees and baskets. Good thread.

Latest posts