• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommended Lefty Discs

8720780302_04c8771a2f.jpg

My home course, Seneca Creek in MD could be considered a lefty course. Being right-handed, I should probably take some of this advice given to lefties trying to play "righty" courses.

Free passes? Hardly.
You're missing some great lines limiting your FH disc selection. Flick some of those turnover discs. I love throwing my Flying Squirrel FH. It just glides right out of my hand, turns right, and just keeps going. One of my favorite touch shots to throw.

I do throw turnover forehands frequently but I don't tee off with a turnover flick. If I need to finish right from the tee, I'm throwing backhanded. But as a lefty, I end up in the right rough alot and need that understable flick where you can lean into the fairway with your forehand and flick approaches. I use my leopard/tl/teebird depending on the way I want the disc to finish.

All of my driving flicks are for holes with finishes to the left side of the line, I just use overstable stuff to drive as I trust my flick with a flat release and overstable disc more than a stable/understable disc with a hyzer angle.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/My home course, Seneca Creek in MD could be considered a lefty course. Being right-handed, I should probably take some of this advice given to lefties trying to play "righty" courses.[/QUOTE]

Just looked at the map and that is one damn fine lefty course. Lots of holes that finish right; I'd be in heaven getting to throw that many hyzers.

[IMG]http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/192/a1ca2daa.gif

Free passes? Hardly.

There's no spike anhyzer to match most holes having an easy RH spike hyzer line. The only advantage lefties have is that we have to learn a lot more shots that righties don't because of course bias. It makes us a little more well-rounded faster.
In my experience around here, its just the opposite. I can maybe name one hole on my home course where I use a turnover shot consistently. When they build courses for righties around here, they build them to challenge righties, meaning they leave a number of open lefty hyzers. Because of this, I don't get to develop my anhyzer shots as much as I would like to.

Granted, I've simply found its better to get out of most "needs to turn left" situations by flicking, so some of my observation could be perceptional.

In my experience around here, its just the opposite. I can maybe name one hole on my home course where I use a turnover shot consistently. When they build courses for righties around here, they build them to challenge righties, meaning they leave a number of open lefty hyzers. Because of this, I don't get to develop my anhyzer shots as much as I would like to.

Granted, I've simply found its better to get out of most "needs to turn left" situations by flicking, so some of my observation could be perceptional.

The majority of the 275 courses you've played are lefty-biased to challenge righties? I've got to get out to those courses!

The majority of the 275 courses you've played are lefty-biased to challenge righties? I've got to get out to those courses!
A lot of those 275 were probably only played once or twice. On many of them in far off places, I can't even recall what the holes looked like.

In the local area though, I see more lefty-bias than righty-bias. Oak Park in Wichita perhaps being the exception.

I think it is important for a lefty to have very OS discs, and quite a few more understable discs than a righty. Also, it's pretty important to have a flick (not disc related) for the hard finishing to the left shots that turnovers can't do.

Both the lefty's I play with have very good turnovers out of necessity in this area, so understable discs are important. Leopards, beat in Rocs, buzzzes, etc. But the really solid hyzer disc for the lines that just BEG to be thrown rhfh or lhbh are easy to hit.

I think it is important for a lefty to have very OS discs, and quite a few more understable discs than a righty. Also, it's pretty important to have a flick (not disc related) for the hard finishing to the left shots that turnovers can't do.

Both the lefty's I play with have very good turnovers out of necessity in this area, so understable discs are important. Leopards, beat in Rocs, buzzzes, etc. But the really solid hyzer disc for the lines that just BEG to be thrown rhfh or lhbh are easy to hit.

i don't understand your logic. why do lefties need more overstable and more understable discs than righties? There is nothing different about the discs flight pattern (other than being opposite of RH throw)...

I would argue that's is smart for a lefty to have more turn-over/understable discs on courses/holes that FAVOR right handed players. A RHBH hyzer line need to be translated into a LHBH turnover to get the same line.

Disagree. Yes, they generally finish in the same direction, but the flight path is completely different IMO.

you are taking this thread and my comments therein way too seriously...

I have a buddy who is left handed. He seems to trend toward a less stable bag, due to the large number of "right handed holes" he encounters. Though, if Martha could throw a sidearm, this would be less of an issue for him.

I'm a lefty, an I concur. I do better with under-stable discs, mostly to overcome the predominance of right-handed holes.