• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Richmond Hill bashed?

I see another reviewer described the course similarly (slick tees, redundant holes) but gave it four discs. I guess dude just had a bad day? I think all reviews should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt unless they're well thought-out and described in full.

His review isn't necessarily bad, it's just very clear that he's rating it lower than normal b/c his "expectations" weren't met. Seems like odd rating criteria.

I played there when I was a brand new noob, and I still compare every course I have played to Richmond Hill, and so far nothing matches it.
Unmet expectations as rating qualifications? Interesting

Part of the high rating for Richmond Hill is for the old configuration. They recently redid it on some different land and I personally thick the new setup is nowhere close to being as good as the original. I think his disappointment is the reason for the rating, and is somewhat justified. (he should have read my review!!!)

How long ago was the course redone? I played it within the last six months. Would that have been the new layout?

His review isn't necessarily bad, it's just very clear that he's rating it lower than normal b/c his "expectations" weren't met. Seems like odd rating criteria.

Many of the low ratings for Delaveaga cite the same thing, it didn't match up to the hype. It's still a great course.

I agree with the review. Which, I guess, puts me in the minority.

After all the high ratings and hearing good things about Richmond Hill, a couple of us dropped by on the way back from Sugaree. We were VERY disappointed, to the point that we didn't finish, but did take a look at some of the holes we didn't play and then went home. The tees didn't bother me but the layouts of many fairways did---especially the repeated "over-the-valley" shots.

I didn't review it because I didn't play every single hole, and thought perhaps if I ever play it again I may see it differently. But if I had, I'd have rated it 2.5.....and it was unappealing enough that I doubt I'll take time to play it again and do a review.

So I don't see that review as a "bash"---just an opinion from someone who didn't care for Richmond Hill.

Part of the high rating for Richmond Hill is for the old configuration. They recently redid it on some different land and I personally thick the new setup is nowhere close to being as good as the original. I think his disappointment is the reason for the rating, and is somewhat justified. (he should have read my review!!!)

The "new" configuration is 3 years old. Based on review dates, most people (myself included) have only played this layout; therefore, it probably has nothing to do with the layouts.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=453&mode=rev#27545

I've yet to play there so I reserve judgment but it seems like rating it a 2 is a little harsh compared to the other reviews. Thoughts?

If you read this review and his review for Highland Hills, you can see he's comparing them against each other instead of simply on their own merits. He liked Highland more than Richmond, which makes it seems that he overrated what he liked at HH and marked down Richmond. Also, the criticisms he makes against RH, he seems to list as positives for Rankin Lake, his home course. It's ok, he also ranked Va-Du-Mar really low because some holes were "too short" in the short position. He also doesn't like the 9-hole Stump Creek course, so maybe he should check out the 18-hole Stumpy Creek if he wants a real challenge.

The main problem that I have with the new layout is the back and forth over the valley. It's still a really good course, but given the choice, I would have preferred the old layout.

I think part of the allure Richmond Hill has is the parking facilities and beauty of the park. However, after about 5 holes, reality set in. I have to agree the layout is redundant. I wanted to review it with a 2.5 rating but figured that most people would dismiss it b/c of all the high ratings it has received. Up, Down, Up, Down, Up..you get the picture. I'm glad to see someone else found the layout as un-creative as myself. Of course, it might have something to do with the fact that I played Sugaree right before it.

Is it really that repetitive? Fox Chase and Stumpy Creek are a lot of up, down, up, down too but I thought they were better than 2s easily.

I didn't think so. The elevation shots over that valley were the highlight for me. If you mind walking up hills so much, disc golf in Asheville, NC may not be for you...

I played RH on a recent trip to Asheville.

I would agree that the teepads were a bit slick and some of it seems repetitive.

But I will state that all was in great condition and the steps, wall, bridges, and other arthitecture were BEAUTIFUL!!! Someone or some group sunk some decent money into creating all that. A few of those over-the-valley holes were works of art!!

I liked it and I'll play it again on a return trip.

I didn't think so. The elevation shots over that valley were the highlight for me.

Different strokes, I guess. For me, ONE would have been cool, the rest were redundant. The throw from one slope to another looks cool but is effectively a level, straight shot. A level shot, but with the kind of hill climbing from tee to the green that you'd expect for an uphill or down hill shot. (Though admittedly, if you hit a tree and fall to the bottom, the penalty is greater than a normal level shot). How much better if some of them had crossed the valley at an angle, or had the flight paths curve, adding difficulty?

It's true that a admirable amount of work and expense went into tees, stairs, signs, etc., and that's it's a pretty piece of property.

I can't remember specifics but remember thinking that some tee placements were odd, or that some of the trees left in the fairways made for rather random luck. It didn't strike me as a bad course---just that I've played dozens of others which I'd rather play than Richmond Hill. Maybe I'll feel differently if I play it again....which is why I'm not reviewing it, only understanding the review referenced in the O.P.

What's ironic about this discussion is that when I reviewed Richmond Hill 2 years ago, I was the first person to give it less than a 4.5, and got 4 :thmbdown: almost immediately. I gave it a 4.0, but at that point the locals took that as an insult. Now, 4.0 is the most common rating, and we're having a discussion about people giving it a 2.

BTW, IMO, a course not living up to a person's "expectations" doesn't mean it's a below normal course. If someone thinks RH is a below average course, I'd love to see some of the ratings given to other local courses like Black Mountain & Crookston.

Don't worry most of the people in Asheville hate RH too... but, it's the best we have IN Asheville. It's definitely better than a 2... but also definitely not in the top 10 for NC. It's a solid 3.5 or 4 though.

The canyon shots, although seemingly redundant, are all extremely different from each other. Holes 5 and 10 (canyon shots) might be two of the best holes on the course... along with 8 and 17.

DSCJNKY