• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Risk changes the game

drickanderson

Double Eagle Member
Up until a few days ago, I had never really played a course that involved a large degree of risk. The closest I had come was a course that played close to a busy street, with the possibility of hitting a car, but it's pretty well protected by trees.

This last Thursday I got to play MacKenzie park in Lubbock, TX while there for work. That course involves quite a bit of water, with a few holes throwing right over the water. Today, I played Peccole Ranch here in Vegas. The entire course is MAYBE 50 feet wide, with walls on both sides. On the other side of the walls are peoples backyards, so you REALLY have to keep your throws low, and controlled. There was one hole that didn't have a straight lane that was clear, but you could hyzer spike over some houses and get around the pine trees. It was a rush throwing that shot. My surge took exactly the line I was expecting, went right over a house, and faded back onto the course just like I knew it would, but I'll be damned if it wasn't exciting.

This game changed drastically for me over the last few days. Before this, it was a matter of throwing some wild shot off the tee, and hoping in went toward the basket. Unless you want to be buying plastic constantly, you simply can't do that on courses that involve risk. At first it caused me a lot of anxiety, but then I realized what was happening, and how it changed the game, and it really became fun. I wish Peccole was closer to me, and that it wasn't private (I played with a guy that lives in the community there).

Anywho, just sharing thoughts that I'm sure most of you already knew.

This is a big reason why I forced myself to learn how to rip putters.

oh yeah? me, mashnut, WCG, and GoodDrive had to throw OVER a 70 year old+ man who was picking up acorns about 30 feet in front of the teepad.

now THAT was a risky line

oh yeah? me, mashnut, WCG, and GoodDrive had to throw OVER a 70 year old+ man who was picking up acorns about 30 feet in front of the teepad.

now THAT was a risky line

my old home course was in an old pecan orchard so when the pecans were in season the fairways were littered with people picking up pecans and i was always suprised when people told me to go ahead and throw without moving. i dont think i would trust a stranger throwing something that fast towards me lol

I had to play with a cop car 30 feet in front of the basket and a tricyclist about 50 feet away advancing toward the pad.

And I still hit a tree :|

People love to lay in the middle of the fairways at Greenway Park, and there's a lot of pedestrians. Some hella risk there.

I want to go play somewhere with different risk shots than what I encounter normally on my home courses. Maybe a place with water or something similar. The main "risk" in my area is throwing over a fence into some deep brush with poison ivy and thorns or throwing into an OB creek.

Down here in FL we call going into the water to retrieve your disc "squiding". I think it got that name cause when u go in you're basically gator bait. If you ever needed reason to throw with control there you go lol.

So jongoff09, 9 courses played? whats your next move???

More like "When?". College has kept me close since I started playing last year. One of these days I will get out and explore much more :)

IHCC

Hole 2:
879ed183.jpg

Hole 3:
dfdd1c29.jpg

Hole 12 (this ones a bitch):
f2d56f0c.jpg

7d1bbc92.jpg

Hole 13:
6c33c43f.jpg

Latest posts