• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River

I love my 170 opto river...its still pretty new but it is so dang consistent! Right now if I had to choose 1 disc to use...it would be my river.

I just got one. 172 Opto. Reminds me of a really domey Eagle or Teebird, with out the wing notch and a slightly lower PHH.

Looking forward to a test flight. I would think that with the dome it will be very glidey, but that curved wing will cause it to fade back.

When new, it does come back a bit at the end, but that seems to slowly work out of them. Once it does all the way on mine, if it does, I will take my Leopard out of the bag.

thinking of trying a river, but it is a long fairway driver? Shorter than a valk? So its farther than a teebird but still a fairway driver?

Longer if you want, and to extend to what Snappy said, the dome on it along with it being a touch bigger in diameter than the Eagle or Teebird and glide is just amazing.

With that, Im not sure if it can go as far as a Valk but Im thinking new vs new it can but when Valks break in, they get extra flippy and I've seen the hyzer-flip lines they can get on and its going to take quite a while I think before my Rivers get that flippy and I think Im going to keep putting them head to head until I see it.

Thing is, it doesnt have to be thrown for distance. Really, if you wanted to, you can take so much off the River and still send it where you want to go. Thats why I've sorta have likened it to a control valk; can go about as far as a Valk, but I'd say as easy to control as a Gazelle or even a Cheetah.

I threw mine a couple times today...it turns over too much for my liking. I seem to have better control with either my Eagle-L or a beat-in EX.

We'll see...today was not a good judge of anything: too early, too cold, to stiff, too old.

Shouldnt be too understable. Think of it almost like a fairway Comet, but not quite that touchy.

Im not ready to commit to calling it that entirely, but after throwing mine for a while, I really learned also to enjoy my Comet for more than just form work.

lol Thats bad

I didnt havve a great day either so I went to my Cheetahs for my fastest disc aside from the Pred, and threw my Comet a lot from the hit. I figure the River will be a nice treat down the road to put in the bag again but I want to push those Cheetahs as far as they can handle first after doing some Beato drills for a while. My elbows staying locked in to my side and Im not hitting it.

Was thinking about trying a GL River and am curious if there is a noticeable difference in the way the disc flies across the available weight ranges.

In my experience, yes. I've thrown a 163 opto, a 169 opto, and a 174 gl. the 169 and 174 were pretty close, but the 163 is noticably more understable. it's not a huge difference, though, no more than my other fairway drivers.

Yeah, I have a 162 GL and it is more "pro" Leopard like as far as turn and my 171 GL is more Teebird/TL like. Both glide rediculously well.

Picture faster "Champ" Leopard or slower (yet maybe as long) control Valk. They can come back on a turnover if you want but can crash and burn if you put too much anny on them; especially the lighter ones.

The heavier ones are like a beat DX Teebird out of the box/envelope but with even better glide.

This is a very good description of my opinion as well.

This thread seemed to have a lot of opinions on the River; where are people at with it now as far as love, hate; where it fits in your bag?

Im taking mine out for a bit since last time I got out (couple weeks ago) found my DX Teebirds beat in and outperforming my River in distance and about any line. Been strugling with the idea because I do love my Rivers and have been trying to reason it out for it to retain some specialty shots, but the old dog the Teebird has proven to still have a few new tricks left up its sleeve and I need to give it a shot at those now that its beat in.

Its a sad day, but something I must do for the better of my bag. :(

Maybe I will come to a spot and say "You know, my Teebirds will never do that; I DO need a River, but I cant think of the situation at the moment.

I still carry a 161 and a 171 GL river. The 161 is for turnovers and anny's and the 171 are for dead straight shots. I carry one 12x champ teebird 168g that for some reason is somewhat overstable in that I can't hyzer flip it for nothing. It also tends to fade hard. Maybe it's because it's new but it just has no glide compared to the Rivers. I may take it out in favor of a max weight river for more fade.

it couldn't do anything my cyclones couldn't, didn't really click with me.

This thread seemed to have a lot of opinions on the River; where are people at with it now as far as love, hate; where it fits in your bag?

Im taking mine out for a bit since last time I got out (couple weeks ago) found my DX Teebirds beat in and outperforming my River in distance and about any line. Been strugling with the idea because I do love my Rivers and have been trying to reason it out for it to retain some specialty shots, but the old dog the Teebird has proven to still have a few new tricks left up its sleeve and I need to give it a shot at those now that its beat in.

Its a sad day, but something I must do for the better of my bag. :(

Maybe I will come to a spot and say "You know, my Teebirds will never do that; I DO need a River, but I cant think of the situation at the moment.

i still rock my 172g GL River as my work-horse fairway driver. pairing it with a Champ Eagle-X right now and it's going well.

I still carry a 161 and a 171 GL river. The 161 is for turnovers and anny's and the 171 are for dead straight shots. I carry one 12x champ teebird 168g that for some reason is somewhat overstable in that I can't hyzer flip it for nothing. It also tends to fade hard. Maybe it's because it's new but it just has no glide compared to the Rivers. I may take it out in favor of a max weight river for more fade.

Yeah, the champ and star Teebirds tend to not glide nearly as well as the DX ones. Also be careful you dont have a Teebird Plus, but Im not sure those have been available in weights even as low as 168.

Those beat in Teebirds though; are money. Started being able to put them on turnover lines and they seem to be more forgiving on how far I turn them over where the Rivers for me, for whatever reason; thrown flat would do a nic subtle turn and finish straight but got tempermental if I tried to put a hyzer on it, seemed to have to hit it just right if I wanted it to flip up to flat or it would ride the hyzer. Anhyzer angles just a hair too much and it turned too far.

Another thing that had me dragging my feet is I intended to lock my bag down but oh well. Guess I lied. ;)

I'm really liking my GL River, I equate it to a longer Roc. I can see the Valk comparison too. If you're on the edge about picking up one of these my advice is grab it. Even in the rare case it doesn't float your boat you won't have any trouble selling or trading it. I let a buddy with a much better arm than me throw mine, and he easily tossed it 325 on straight line up a pretty tight fairway. He's have bought it on the spot but I only have the one.

Latest posts