• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocs and windy approaches...WINDY!!!

Yeah man. I totally float the rocs in high winds. They just hang in the air, but the 40mph+ winds are just too much for a roc it seems. I have a star roc as well, and even that didn't work. The whippet works well, but just too fast for the situations at this course (not a big arm course. most pins are reachable from the drive.)

40mph+ turned the rocs ...well let's just say it looked like i was throwing plastics plates through the air.

In such extreme circumstances, you'll have to experiment. But the point of using a fast and overstable disc is that it won't glide. You want something that you are trying to slide under the basket, just short of a cast iron pan. Not spinning and gliding it in like a finesse approach, but throwing the weight of the disc: plop!

I've used a Whippet on 60 ft approaches because at such slow speed the wind won't get under it. Aim right and allow for a skip/crash landing.

Whippet, Banshee, Firebird, Predator, and such...what do you already have in your bag for an overstable fairway? If you have a Drone or Gator, use that.

In such extreme circumstances, you'll have to experiment. But the point of using a fast and overstable disc is that it won't glide. You want something that you are trying to slide under the basket, just short of a cast iron pan. Not spinning and gliding it in like a finesse approach, but throwing the weight of the disc: plop!

I've used a Whippet on 60 ft approaches because at such slow speed the wind won't get under it. Aim right and allow for a skip/crash landing.

Whippet, Banshee, Firebird, Predator, and such...what do you already have in your bag for an overstable fairway? If you have a Drone or Gator, use that.

Good advice...thx.

That's the mindset I've been in lately and it's been working out great. Have the champ whippet x and now have a brand new firbird max weight that's killin. My heavy putters (rhynos mo floppy) seem to be doing the trick as well by the why (throwing them with a hyzer...not spike but not low either...

when the wind gets up to 40+ i dont even bother thrown my mids. just use a headwind driver (teerex). I have multiple shots at all ranges with my teerex. it even holds a great anhyzer line. even on approachs ill use a driver. ive thought about picking up a gator/drone but the few times ive thrown them i havnt really felt that their anything special. i like using my rhyno over those two.