• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules on Out of Bounds an Unplayable Lies

Donovan

Longview Disc Golf Association (TX)
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
We keep having trouble clarifying some of these OB and Unplayable Lie rules.
Maybe yous can help us po' boys out! Thanks in advance,

1. Where does a disc get played it if flies out of bounds without hitting inbounds first?

2. Where does the disc get spotted it does hit inbounds first before going out?

3. When you are in some serious thicket, how do you officially take and unplayable lie?

4. When a disc is partly wet or partly on the sidewalk, is that a penalty and if so where should it be played?

I dont know what the PDGA says, but heres how we play it
1. It depends on the OB. If it is the border of the course, then you should reshoot and take a stroke
2. Where it went out
3.From the disc, draw a line to the basket, and a perpendicular line. follow that line till you are out of the crud, and thats your spot. Or you could just man up and shoot from the thicket.
4. If half of it is above the water or not on sidewalk, play it as it lies from a spot behind the disc.

When a disc flies out of bounds without touching inbounds first, it is played from the point where it crossed the out of bounds line, from the previous lie, or a drop zone (if there is one). The same goes even if it touches inbounds first ... where it comes to rest is what matters.

803:09: B.
A player whose disc is considered
out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty
throw. The player may elect to play the
next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the
marker disc or, if the marker disc has been
moved from an approximate lie, as agreed
to by the majority of the group or an
offi cial; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter
away from and perpendicular to the point
where the disc last crossed into out-ofbounds,
as determined by a majority of the
group or an offi cial. This holds true even
if the direction takes the lie closer to the
hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop
Zone, if provided. These options may be
limited by the tournament director as a
special condition (see 804.01).

For the unplayable lie, I believe you just declare it to the group and take the stroke, but here is the PDGA rule about it:

803.06 Unplayable Lie:
A. A player may declare his or her lie to
be an unplayable lie. The player is the sole
judge as to whether the lie is unplayable.
The unplayable lie may be relocated to a
new lie that is: (1) No closer to the hole,
on the line of play and within fi ve meters
of the unplayable lie; or (2) The previous
lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if
the marker disc has been moved, from
an approximate lie as agreed to by the
majority of the group or an official. The
original throw plus one penalty throw are
counted in the player's score.

For the partly in partly out, I have always played them as out of bounds, but after reading the PDGA rule, Im not sure ...

803.09 Out-of-Bounds
A. A disc shall be considered out-ofbounds
only when it comes to rest and it
is clearly and completely surrounded by
the out-of-bounds area
. A disc thrown in
water shall be deemed to be at rest once it
is fl oating or is moving only by the action
of the water or the wind on the water.
See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds
line itself is considered out-of-bounds.
803.05–803.07 Page 14 803.08–803.09 Page 15

This is just my understanding of the rules, so correct me if Im wrong on one of these.
I hope that helps some. :)

You are supposed to rethrow from where you first did, not where it went our of bounds.

1. Where does a disc get played it if flies out of bounds without hitting inbounds first? You move it to a maximum of one meter away from the OB on the same line that it entered the OB.

2. Where does the disc get spotted it does hit inbounds first before going out? You move it to a maximum of one meter away from the OB on the same line that it entered the OB.

3. When you are in some serious thicket, how do you officially take and unplayable lie? You can move the disc a maximum of 5 meters to the left or right but not closer to the hole.

4. When a disc is partly wet or partly on the sidewalk, is that a penalty and if so where should it be played? If a disc is not completely surrounded by OB it is not OB.

Yay!!!

4. When a disc is partly wet or partly on the sidewalk, is that a penalty and if so where should it be played? If a disc is not completely surrounded by OB it is not OB.

Great news for me, since my home course here in Mex has a wide ravine-river and tons of sidewalks, with baskets placed so there is OB in play on almost every hole. (shiver) Thats why we call it El Castigador (the punisher)

On a similar but different note, how would one determine where to put a drop zone? Would this area be placed arbitrarily adjacent to the water or is there a set distance from the pin? There is a hole on my course that I woul like to be able to place a drop zone. For instance, if I throw a good tee shot but it lands in the water 20ft. from the pin, there is really no penalty b/c 20' makes for an easy par save. I would like to move the drop zone back towards where the tee box is but about 60' closer. What do you guys think about that?

As long as it is touching in bounds, it is in bounds. If it lands in water but is touching one side on land, it is in bounds so you take the meter. That is what all the pros I have played with have said. You get the benefit of the doubt. = )

That's the way I read it also. You have to be completely OB. If you touch any part of inbounds you are safe.

These were great! Thanks so much for all the info. The quoting of the rules was great too.

Thank you my TX brother sidewinding, for also putting it in a summarizing, plain English way, to solidify the interpretation.

Anyone have anything else on these?

For instance, if I throw a good tee shot but it lands in the water 20ft. from the pin, there is really no penalty b/c 20' makes for an easy par save. I would like to move the drop zone back towards where the tee box is but about 60' closer. What do you guys think about that?

One of the courses I played had an island hole and had a drop zone about 35' from the basket. It made it a challenging putt (back onto the island) but was still make-able. I've played the hole you are talking about and think a drop zone could be a good idea, except the water runs almost the whole length of the hole, so if you went in the water right off the tee box, would the drop zone actually end up helping? If you go right for the hole it seems you will be over water most of the flight path, so if it went in the water, by OB rules, you would have to throw from way back where the disc left in bounds and went out of bounds... which is pretty close to the tee box. The only exception I can see is if you hit in bounds near the creek (such as a tree) and then shoot OB... then you do get that "easy" par save.

I like the idea of a drop zone, though I'd be upset if I had to throw for par from the beginning of the hole after almost being on the green.

OK here's another question. I keep hearing people talk about all sidewalks are OB. Is this a fact or just what they do locally or what?

3. When you are in some serious thicket, how do you officially take and unplayable lie? You can move the disc a maximum of 5 meters to the left or right but not closer to the hole.
[/COLOR]

Hey brother this is in any direction not closer to the hole including backwards...correct?

never heard of such a thing

WHATEVER!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

For those of you not in on the inside jokes, Oakley is my playing nemesis! Our games match up shot for shot. So take his sarcasm and pot shots at me with the same love and affection that I do.

Shut up beatch! I got your game right here brother! :D

OK here's another question. I keep hearing people talk about all sidewalks are OB. Is this a fact or just what they do locally or what?

If it's marked on the course signs or map as OB then it's OB. Some signs will say "on or beyond" referring to sidewalk OB. Some courses with seasonal creeks have postings that say the creek is "OB even when dry". My local course has a dry creek that is not OB but I play it as OB just for the fun of it.

I don't think all sidewalks are OB by rule but a lot of courses seem to use them that way. Each course should have their own set of OB guidelines.

4. If half of it is above the water or not on sidewalk, play it as it lies from a spot behind the disc.
Be careful that when you release the disc you are not standing OB:

Rule 803.03.A.3
When the disc is released, a player must have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

This rule will help you in that scenario:

Rule 803.03.C
If the thrown disc comes to rest in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line, and passes through the center of the thrown disc. This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole.

(There are restrictions on this, see complete rule book for more details.)

You are supposed to rethrow from where you first did, not where it went our of bounds.

That's only true if you lose the disc.

You cannot move left or right. See the quoted rule 803.06.A, you must move directly back along the line of play, i.e. the line between the basket and your marked lie.

We keep having trouble clarifying some of these OB and Unplayable Lie rules.

A relevant rule that hasn't been brought up is The Rule of Verticality:

803.09.C

The out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane. Where a player's lie is marked from a particular point within one meter of the out-of-bounds line pursuant to the rules, the one-meter relief may be taken from the particular point upward or downward along the vertical plane.

Some people think that the disc must "hit land" before it is considered to be in bounds again. That's not true. As long as the disc crosses the vertical plane extending up from the OB line that counts and being in bounds. You may mark your lie from the last point that the disc was in bounds.

ERic

I don't think all sidewalks are OB by rule but a lot of courses seem to use them that way. Each course should have their own set of OB guidelines.
^^^ What he said.

ERic

Latest posts