• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules on Out of Bounds an Unplayable Lies

Definitely a different usage of OB from ball golf. Every hazard is called OB in DG but there are different types in BG. Can be confusing but as someone already said Dg has different rules. I still haven't gotten any feedback on my sidewalk question. When a sidewalk is listed as OB is it always the sidewalk AND over or is it JUST the sidewalk (or Road)? That's if it is not plainly stated on or over but just says sidewalk OB.

It would seem to me that if the area beyond the sidewalk is not marked as OB on the sign then it's not OB.

i can see the sidewalk running alongside a hole on the left or right of a hole being considered an OB border like a fence in which case the sidewalk and whatever area away from the hole(which would probably be self explanatory) would be OB

however if there is just a sidewalk crossing a fairway called OB - i think it would be treated like water - but i just think that type of OB hazard would be rare - and very tickytack - since people probably arent going to adjust for a 4 foot wide sidewalk so it's a low percentage that you would land in the sidewalk. It would just be bad luck for ending up in the sidewalk.

Yea, that's the issue. I have seen many courses with sidewalks,paths or roads thru the course that are not on the edge of the course, not boundaries of the course in other words. Again it seems different from ball golf. In ball golf OB is Always a course boundary but it doesn't seem that way in DG. Someone was talking about a Sidewalk marked as on or over being OB but I have never seen one marked that way. They always just say Road or sidewalk OB. I always assumed that if it said OB then it meant on or beyond but it seems many don't think so. I haven't had anyone give me a definitive answer yet. There might not be one. I guess each course should make sure they are marked more clearly.

i think if i saw a sidewalk running up the right side of a hole and it said the sidewalk was OB - i would assume the sidewalk and anything right of the sidewalk would be OB.

i cant see sidewalks cutting across a fairway would be called OB - its like calling a cartpath in BG OB.

hazards are there for a reason so that people try to avoid them. As there is usually some type of risk/reward etc. if theres a slim chance of hitting a hazard people wont fear them and alter their approach to the game. If thats the case they are just pointless and they just come down to luck.