• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules question: Unplayable Lie

Go ahead and take your "unplayable lie". You missed the 20 footer once and just took an extra stroke to try it again. My money is on you missing yet again.

There is a downhill hole at Camp Fortune DGC with a creek 15 feet behind the basket. We have played it in the summer as "play it where it lies".....but just for the fun of watching someone take off shoes and socks and go in to throw....normally it is OB with a drop zone to avoid people pumping it into the creek only to be left with an easy 10 footer for a circle 3

you go from the bank where it went in after youve retreated it.

retreated? I'm just sayin' there is no posted OB on our course. By moving our disc it costs a stroke, so why not step in and shoot. I say, if there are no posted OBs' then there is no OB. If your willing to climb into the muck that is.

retreated? I'm just sayin' there is no posted OB on our course. By moving our disc it costs a stroke, so why not step in and shoot. I say, if there are no posted OBs' then there is no OB. If your willing to climb into the muck that is.

if water/muck/pile of corpses has not been declared ob you're good on playing out of it.

I'd use it in a heartbeat but haven't had the opportunity since it was adopted. There's sidehill hole on my home course (#17 at Seneca) where you used to take some horrendous rolls (100 - 200') down into some dense woods. You used to have to play it where it ended up, I've seen people take 3 shots just to get back up to the fairway, I'd take stroke and distance in a second if that happened now.

There are a few pins at Delaveaga where stroke and distance could be agvantageous.

It isn't unplayable unless you can't throw it to a playable lie. Take a seven and don't throw there again.

Not true dude. An unplayable lie is determined solely by the thrower and has nothing to do with whether or not the shot can actually be thrown from the lie. Seems counterintuitive don't it?

Yeah you get your feet wet, why play it.. ?

Not true dude. An unplayable lie is determined solely by the thrower and has nothing to do with whether or not the shot can actually be thrown from the lie. Seems counterintuitive don't it?

yeah I guess it does. Makes sense to me though. Besides being inside a bush/briars/etc where you actually have no shot and no way of addressing the lie, depending on your skill set a shot may 'seem' unplayable. If the best choice is a forehand/overhand/etc and you dont have one, it might seem pretty darn unplayable.

I have never seen anyone call one in a tournament and have only used it once myself.

So what happens with the actual 2 Meter rule? If your disc is stuck in the tree, do you mark your lie under it and take a penalty or take the "unplayable lie" penalty and re-throw from your last lie? or can you do the 5 meter rule aswell?

You have to have a "lie" before you can apply the Unplayable Lie rule. So if the 2m rule is in effect on a hole, you have to first take the 2m penalty and identify the lie below the disc. Then, if you don't like that location, you apply the Unplayable penalty and relocate to either 5m back or rethrow.

You have to have a "lie" before you can apply the Unplayable Lie rule. So if the 2m rule is in effect on a hole, you have to first take the 2m penalty and identify the lie below the disc. Then, if you don't like that location, you apply the Unplayable penalty and relocate to either 5m back or rethrow.

So you take a 2 meter stroke, and then if you find the lie unplayable you take another stroke? ouch.

That's the rule now. But starting in 2011, if the 2m rule is in effect on the hole and you land above 2m, you can either play directly below the disc or rethrow from the original lie and get a 1-throw penalty either way.

That's the rule now. But starting in 2011, if the 2m rule is in effect on the hole and you land above 2m, you can either play directly below the disc or rethrow from the original lie and get a 1-throw penalty either way.

cool that makes sense. I like that rule. I play with this really annoying guy who like to call out ALL this stuff all the time.