• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running and physical fitness

Funny, I was just thinking about this. In my form rebuild I've been trying to scale up my throws to practice long drives again, but cold hands and sluggish muscles on top of my still-shaky new movements don't help.

Since I'm still benefitting from repetition of basic movements, I'm realizing that I can get a lot done at home with exercise sessions where I sprinkle in DG drills a few minutes at a time. Then, I can reserve field work for "high value" time (like tightening up form for long drives) when the conditions outside are most favorable. It's frustrating that winter is setting in just as I feel like I'm making breakthroughs, but there are still opportunities to improve!

I think I'll see some distance gains simply from being in better shape.

...but even if I don't, it'll let me throw more shots before my form (and/or mental game) breaks down and that'll help me 1) score better immediately and 2) have better practice sessions when it is back to shorts and tee shirt weather.

I was powerlifting 4-5 years ago, trained for one actual competition…more to set goals for squat, deadlift, and bench maxes. Zero desire to actually try to be competitive, just wanted to see what I could hit if I went through a dedicated training cycle. Got burnt out afterwards, lifted casually for a while and eventually got back into running. I'd ran cross country and track in high school.

Since I had been power lifting prior I kept telling myself I didn't need to lift legs once I got running, which was about the furthest thing from the truth. Not that my legs weren't strong, but it's very easy to develop muscle imbalances when you run a lot and sit a lot for work. When playing dg I could definitely tell my hips and glutes were weak and I was losing some distance.

Seems like once or twice a year I'll end up with some minor lower body issues, typically hip or lower back. I'd trained up for a big race in September that had an insane amount of vertical climb, and after that told myself the goal of the winter was to get back to lifting and address the muscle imbalance issues I know are there. Got a bit too aggressive with the squat and deadlift weight initially and ended up with a bulging disc in the back. I think I took for granted how lifting heavier weights impacts your nervous system and you have to allow it some time to build a bit of tolerance to those types of movements.

Lol TLDR: I'll be 40 in a month. Was always very athletic growing up and still am, but think I can still do the stuff I could when I was 17 and recover like when I was 17. Not the case anymore, so no shame in easing into things. For anybody looking for some easy stuff to do over the winter I'd agree with the body weight or resistance band stuff. Work on core strength, hips, and glute. Yoga is also awesome, Yoga with Adriene on YouTube has a ton of videos that target certain regions. My two favorites are the deep stretch video…which can be intense at first, and yoga for psoas.

42 here. I've been doing yoga with my wife recently and it's really helped my recurring lower back issues. I'll second the recommendation of the Yoga with Adriene videos.

I went from a series of very physically active jobs to a 100% desk job with long hours about 6 years ago and my overall fitness really started to decline. Being weak and stiff made it so the back was constantly getting re-tweaked. Since I started up with the yoga, the back has really improved, but if I go a week without any yoga a flareup is pretty much inevitable. It will be interesting to see what impact the increased flexibility and core strength will have on my dg game.

Started running but not very far...if legs power throws, than that's apparently my problem right there. They seem super weak and need work.

Wanted to sympathize that it was discouraging how out of shape I found my legs and glutes had become with office/pandemic life, but some work in the gym is going a long way. Hang in there!

Since this was bumped up...

I had all these plans to do field work to add distance this offseason.

Then I got out there and remembered that I had the cold and it was all muddy and sloggy and I got a runny nose and decided that wasn't really fun and I can't get myself quarantined and lose income over a cold I get from throwing frisbees in a field.

So I've really been working on a diet and a body weight exercise routine and also on working to strengthen my core and improve hip and ankle mobility. And I'll just get out and throw when I can on warm sunny days.

I guess we'll see if that pays off around March or so.

Started measuring portions and tracking macros and really focusing on hitting protein. Dropped from 162.6 to 144.4 from Thanksgiving to last weekend. I move better and feel better. I might be a bit stronger, but I'm definitely not weaker.

Barely thrown discs due to weather/life, but even though my throw feels pretty disjointed and my limbs aren't working together right now, distance seems in line with where it was. And my first scored round of the year was my personal best at that particular course.

So I definitely haven't made things worse.

I've finally connected my weight lifting with throwing in a way that is actually increasing my power - and the key for me was increasing my scapular mobility. I was getting much thicker and more muscular through my shoulders and traps - but my mobility was just terrible, causing my power to be very restricted. The best way I can describe it, is that my languid-ness was covered in rust.

I started using a foam roller under my scapulas while laying on my back for 2 minutes (roller perpendicular to my spine). It's a bit of a strange stretch, but I started getting much looser through my neck and shoulders and can keep my shoulders back and disengaged on inclined bench press and my shoulders are back to a much more fluid motion.

don't skimp on mobility... it is a real deal.

I've discovered a bouldering gym this year, and love it. overall mobility feels great and I like the problem solving.

I've finally connected my weight lifting with throwing in a way that is actually increasing my power - and the key for me was increasing my scapular mobility. I was getting much thicker and more muscular through my shoulders and traps - but my mobility was just terrible, causing my power to be very restricted. The best way I can describe it, is that my languid-ness was covered in rust.

I started using a foam roller under my scapulas while laying on my back for 2 minutes (roller perpendicular to my spine). It's a bit of a strange stretch, but I started getting much looser through my neck and shoulders and can keep my shoulders back and disengaged on inclined bench press and my shoulders are back to a much more fluid motion.

Nice - I used to do a lot of heavy and static lifts. I've learned a lot since joining here and wanted to update. I've replaced most of my old routine at the gym with:

1. Kettlebell/hammer swings
2. Plyometrics
3. Resistance bands
4. Dynamic and static stretches

These changes have also made it easier to learn new movements in my form rebuild. Kettlebells are really good for posture and ground force control. Plyos are good are making my lower body springier and quicker. Resistance bands teach you about elastic tension and can scale up easily for more explosive movements. Stretching is clearly good & some of the athletic dynamic ones are a lot of fun. My time in the gym is much more interesting and I usually work up a good cardio level since I'm moving the entire time.

I do some traditional lifts, but mostly to maintain rather than build muscle at this point. I'm fairly sure I would have ruined a joint by now with form mistakes without the mass I have. Though my lower body and general athletic coordination still have so much catching up to do.

Now if only I could drink that "Instant Great Form" elixir I keep hearing about...

I've restarted doing some casual 5ks and a kettlebell routine. I used to do fasting 5ks first thing in the morning and ended up in pretty decent shape so I really ought to drag my butt out of bed early again

I run periodized training blocks and noticed that when I am lifting at higher intensity (>80% of 1 rep max) with lower reps per set, my throwing takes a hit. Currently I am in a volume/conditioning focused block with more unilateral movements. One of the movements I have been doing is Bulgarian split squats (single leg squat with rear foot elevated) with my bodyweight on the bar for 5 sets of 15 reps per leg. I pair that with single leg Romanian deadlifts with the same set and rep scheme. Been having some longer, more effortless feeling throws since adding these movements.

Looks like you've really put in some work:

Congratulations, keep it up!

Looks like you've really put in some work:

Congratulations, keep it up!

Thank you, still grinding in the gym. Cutting some weight now, I was up to 195 and felt strong, but I was eating a TON to pack it on. I'm down to 187-190 depending on the day, and I can actually jog a mile without it hurting too much.

First year or two, gains came pretty easy. Now it's a real chore to see any strength or muscle gain.

Thank you, still grinding in the gym. Cutting some weight now, I was up to 195 and felt strong, but I was eating a TON to pack it on. I'm down to 187-190 depending on the day, and I can actually jog a mile without it hurting too much.

First year or two, gains came pretty easy. Now it's a real chore to see any strength or muscle gain.

But when are you going to unveil yourself dressed as Heisenburg from Breaking Bad?

Latest posts