• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

I have definitely contacted Salient... they do not seem to care much or value strong customer service. They sounded too busy to hear me out. It is a frustrating situation to have the strap of a newer(owned less than 2 months) bag rip right off in the middle of a tournament round and get no customer service. I have paid $40-$60 for gym bags and school backpacks that have lasted me years (and I treat them like crap). And to spend over a $150 on a disc golf bag and to see it rip within the first 2 months is not right and in my opinion unacceptable. It is even more frustrating to hear that this problem has never been seen before, makes me think I got a defaulty bag, but yet I am the one who is responsible to fix it... No bag should be having the shoulder strap rip right off within the first 2 months. If the bag was 6 months old I could see paying for shipping or going to a seamstress to get it fixed but, but with it ripping off before the 2 month mark... I feel like I got a deafulty product. I treated it perfectly, as it was my first backpack bag ever, so I do not know how the strap could just rip right off like it did. I am trying to be respectful and civil, but I have never been so frustrated in my life. Just seems like companies do not care these days. Customer service goes a long ways and I feel like I am getting none.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 93
I don't get your frustration here buddy, they said they'll fix it if you send it back, what more do you want? It's nothing uncommon at all for the purchaser to send the product back personally, and then the business send it back. From your email, salient looks like they aren't even asking for the warranty card, so they are already being lenient.

If they are just going to simply fix the backpack instead of replacing it, then why not just take it to a local seamstress?? That way you can control the quality of the work, save on shipping, and save some time. I'd also have them tack on a few extra stitches on the other side, and any other major stress points to help prevent any other issues moving forward!

Let me preface by saying I am not a Salient fan boy. I even owned a Helix bag at one point, but it just wasn't for me.

Whales...given that your bag looks like you hooked it to your bumper and dragged it up and down a back country road in Omaha...I can't say I'm surprised that your bag fell apart. You state that you treated it perfectly but your picture would show the contrary. I have bags that are over 5 years old that look better off than that. Maybe treat your bag a little bit better and it will last a little longer.

Also...I kind of have to agree with WhiteyBear. They said ship it to us and we will fix it or replace it. So what's the big deal, shell out $10-$15 and ship it back to them. If you're too cheap to do that, then hit up a local seam shop and ask them to fix it(Probably be about the same price).

lol... dude cant even keep his warranty card in a safe place'

way to be responsible about the whole thing though as a buyer of a $200 product! :wall: sometimes its just better off to tell a customer, CYA!

Let me preface by saying I am not a Salient fan boy. I even owned a Helix bag at one point, but it just wasn't for me.

Whales...given that your bag looks like you hooked it to your bumper and dragged it up and down a back country road in Omaha...I can't say I'm surprised that your bag fell apart. You state that you treated it perfectly but your picture would show the contrary. I have bags that are over 5 years old that look better off than that. Maybe treat your bag a little bit better and it will last a little longer.

Also...I kind of have to agree with WhiteyBear. They said ship it to us and we will fix it or replace it. So what's the big deal, shell out $10-$15 and ship it back to them. If you're too cheap to do that, then hit up a local seam shop and ask them to fix it(Probably be about the same price).

I'm having trouble really judging the condition, other than the broken part. It could just be dirty. hard to tell.

Picked up a demo version of this bag for $70 and honestly i really like it. My demo doesnt come with a warranty and the front zipper pocket wont zip (always leave it open anyway) and the go get it hard insert is missing. Have heard all the stories of bags being defective and everyone has heard of the bad customer service.If this one lasts me even a year i may consider buying a new one With a warranty. My other bag is a halo bag and they are about the same aize but the halo feels bigger and slightly heavier.

The warranty process is fairly clear on the website and the email response you received is how the process works. In the textile industry from time to time the seamstress does not slide the fabric in far enough thus only stitching a small portion instead of the whole connection point. When inspected by QC at DN in Texas this might be hard to see so these issue do happen from time to time with the amount of bags they put together.

Again I know it might be frustrating but a local seamstress can fix it up in under and hour and throw some stitching on the other one just in case.

Whales make sure to shoot [email protected] an email and at least let us know what happened. I am sorry that this happened to you. I personally have not seen this issue before but maybe a seamstress can fix it up for you for $10-$15 dollars. We still like to know about these things though so we can keep an eye on it in the future.

The warranty process is fairly clear on the website and the email response you received is how the process works. In the textile industry from time to time the seamstress does not slide the fabric in far enough thus only stitching a small portion instead of the whole connection point. When inspected by QC at DN in Texas this might be hard to see so these issue do happen from time to time with the amount of bags they put together.

Again I know it might be frustrating but a local seamstress can fix it up in under and hour and throw some stitching on the other one just in case.

LOL, the guy has his bag for a month and HE is paying to fix it?!? Failent customer service at it's best! Scott even admits it's a manufacturing defect, but doesn't care enough that Failent shipped out a defective product to try to make things right! Offer the man a free disc for his trouble or something small guys. The PR from doing things the right way would be worth way more than the small amount of money you lose by sticking to policy.

I'd buy a bag from UB before pissing my money away with Failient.

Last edited:
LOL, the guy has his bag for a month and HE is paying to fix it?!? Failent customer service at it's best! Scott even admits it's a manufacturing defect, but doesn't care enough that Failent shipped out a defective product to try to make things right! Offer the man a free disc for his trouble or something small guys. The PR from doing things the right way would be worth way more than the small amount of money you lose by sticking to policy.

I'd buy a bag from UB before pissing my money away with Failient.

They offered to repair our replace it for free, without the warrant card. Get past your blinders and maybe you'll see that.

This is a tough one. They said they would fix it but it's gonna cost whales 20$ more dollars to get something fixed that was an obvious manufacturer defect. It's hard enough to get a disc golfer to spend 200$ on a back pack. Then you are asking him for 20$ more less than 2 months later. For a 200$ backpack , this should have never happened. With it being only a 2 months old, the company should pay all shipping. This is most likely a rare occurance and should be treated with exceptions to the warranty rules. These types of things can really hurt a small companies image. Salient should take the shipping loss and embrace the great customer service comments.

As long as he can prove he bought the bag 2 months ago.

Last edited:
This is a tough one. They said they would fix it but it's gonna cost whales 20$ more dollars to get something fixed that was an obvious manufacturer defect. It's hard enough to get a disc golfer to spend 200$ on a back pack. Then you are asking him for 20$ more less than 2 months later. For a 200$ backpack , this should have never happened. With it being only a 2 months old, the company should pay all shipping. This is most likely a rare occurance and should be treated with exceptions to the warranty rules. These types of things can really hurt a small companies image. Salient should take the shipping loss and embrace the great customer service comments.

As long as he can prove he bought the bag 2 months ago.

AMEN!!! As I just went through this with my brand new flak x, they gave me a shipping label and all to return to the manufacturer, no cost to me except gas to the nearest fed ex location and having to go back to my grip back for two weeks(which kind of made me mad). They looked at it and knew it was a bad bag and sent me a new one. Now hopefully that one lasts but that customer service is HUGE in my eyes!
I love how salient offered veteran discounts and all since I am a veteran and appreciate folks who value our service. But I am convinced that reading this thread and hearing all the neutral to bad comments about this customer service that I would never buy a bag from here. Maybe I am in the wrong there but it's also my money.
Also to the previous post, I never saw where salient was going to replace the bag or fix it for free. I saw a ship it back(your dime or we can get a seamstress to fix it for 15)Maybe I missed it or misread it but I don't think I did. Ok rant done:)

And nothing personal Scott, I don't know you at all but I always try to support those who support our troops but after reading all this, that is just the way I feel bubba.

Basically keep the warrantee card is the morel of this story. You have that=no problem getting it fixed/replaced.

I work in the textile industry and the manufacturing is very good on average 95%, pretty decent overall. But you will always get another 10% claiming a defect to get a Scott free return. So you need return parameters so that your margin doesn't suffer greatly. Their way to cover themselves was the warrantee card, which I would have put in the top pocket under the rain fly and left in the back just in case.

In our companies case you have to have the invoice and photos that prove the damage. No invoice, no return.

i had the straps on my Nutsac break after only 30 days. I sewed it back and have no problems since. Sometimes stuff happens.

And nothing personal Scott, I don't know you at all but I always try to support those who support our troops but after reading all this, that is just the way I feel bubba.

I'm here to try my best ROC. If some people feel we have wronged them in anyway than it is what it is. I have learned in life that once someone has their mind set on something than you are wasting your breath to try and change it as it generally turns into a useless argument where the company looks like the bad guy in the end.

Its true I have not seen this but then again we only see what people email us about. Iv seen posts on here that said we have had hundreds of issues with bags but yet we have not heard about them so in our mind that statement would be false. This is why I always tell people if they have an issue or concern just email salient or email me and I will do the best I can to get to the bottom of your concern.

Have a great night everyone.

I don't really see this happening unless you grab the bag low on the straps to pick it up or have them too loose when wearing it. A lot of the strain seems to be put on the top part when I filled mine with 10lb weights. Pulled realllly hard on that spot too and its not loose at all.

They offered to repair our replace it for free, without the warrant card. Get past your blinders and maybe you'll see that.

No, they offered to fix a defective product if and only if he shipped it back to them at his expense after owning if for less than two months. Put down your glass of Kool-aid and you'll see that this is a continuation of a long standing pattern of piss poor service from the Chris Kilgus clown show. All they would have had to do is provide a shipping label to cover getting the bag back to them and this thread never exists. Seems like a good use of $5 if I'm the owner...

Failient is well within their legal rights to do what they're doing here. But it doesn't make it smart, or the right thing to do. The moral of the story is that you get what you pay for. Kia, Hyundai and Mitsubishi nickle and dime their customers, Cadillac, Lexus or Mercedes do not. If all you can afford is a Kia, it's better than nothing but there is no reason to settle for one if you can afford better. In disc golf speak, buy a Grip or Mystery Ranch product if you want good service, buy from these clowns if service means nothing at all to you. If price is your main factor there are still lots of better companies out there than Failient.

Last edited:
This is a screwy situation for sure.

However, just my thoughts, all of the anger and vitriol becomes moot when people use the "Falient" moniker. Which is a shame because the people using "Failent" generally have good points and are well-spoken (or typed) in.

It's pretty standard in the case of warranty claims for the buyer to ship the product back at his expense. The manufacturer will typically then ship it back on their dime. While some places will cover the shipping both to and from, it's by no means to be expected. I saw somewhere on here a while back (possibly in this thread?), Salient was providing warranty coverage on a bag that someone bought used, which is more than most companies would do. Usually warranties only extend to the original purchaser.

Also, analogies are never perfect, but just because luxury brands are more expensive, doesn't mean that they don't nickle and dime you. In the motorcycling world, BMWs are known for being some of the nicest bikes on the road. They're also known for having some of the most expensive and headache inducing service departments.

Latest posts