• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scoring Question

Neuey

What is the call if your putter gets wedged into the basket on a distance putt? It never hit the chains, or even went above the rim of the basket for that matter, but was thrown with such force that it tacoed into the basket molding. Would this go to a "wherever the greatest part of the disc is" situation?

its in unless it falls out before you get it out so best advice if it happens in a tourney is to run your ass up there and get it out toot sweet.

Assuming by "basket" you mean the lower portion, and not the entire target---

It counts.

If the disc is supported by the basket, it counts.

If it's sitting on or supported by the top, it doesn't.

For rationale, see many previous threads.

If it's wedged into the basket, it is supported by the entrapment device.

pdga rule 803.13

B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.

its in unless it falls out before you get it out so best advice if it happens in a tourney is to run your ass up there and get it out toot sweet.

I believe this has been amended by a Rules Committee decision. Once the disc comes to rest, if it moves, you put it back....so in this situation, you could just put disc back wedged in basket and count it.

Not positive, but too lazy to research the Q&A.

However.....not knowing how your group or TD might rule, it is a good idea to remove it quickly, as you've suggeted.

I believe this has been amended by a Rules Committee decision. Once the disc comes to rest, if it moves, you put it back....so in this situation, you could just put disc back wedged in basket and count it.
The 'at rest' rule was always there. However, you need to get the group to agree the disc was at rest for long enough (total judgment call) before a wedgie pops out or it's not good.

I was aware of the ruling if the disc was resting on top. When I used to play with my college buddies (before any of us knew the actual rules), we used to say, "If it lands on top, it counts - if you're willing to pull your disc through," (thus destroying the disc). Nobody ever did, naturally, but I never encountered the disc getting lodged into the side of the basket before. Glad to know that it counts if it sticks, and also that I don't have to pull it through to make it count since my mind immediately went back to that crazy ruling we made up on the spot.

Thanks for the help, all!

Last edited:

Latest posts