• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scott Stokley on tour 2022

Scott Stokley Finish at Las Vegas

• Scott finishes top 10

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Scott finishes 11-20

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Scott finishes 21-30

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Scott finishes 30-50

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Scott finishes over 50th

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Scott ended up 103rd in points standings now that the dust has settled. He had some good showings at Elite Series events with DDO and Master's Cup. It wasn't officially on tour but his Eagle's Crossing skin's performance deserves special mention too. Finished just ahead of Nate Perkins for some context. He also finished 8 spots ahead of Feldberg, but to be fair Feldberg only played MPO at 2 events it looks like.

Gotta give the man some credit! I was really hoping he'd make a feature/lead card at least once but that was always a big ask for someone 15-30 years older than most of his competitors.

Being in my 50s as well (though older), it is very encouraging to see folks like Scott and Johnny Sias (70) still playing at a high level.

I really think DG is missing out on a large potential market segment--55+. It's a great fitness activity, courses everywhere, very easy and cheap to get into, easy on the joints (unless you try to throw 500'), and a great group or individual activity. And older folks TEND to have a little more $, though they are not as enamored with individual players, so I would bet less likely to buy expensive special runs/signature discs.

Hoping to get a big contract at age 60, and be sponsored by some combination of Planet Fitness and AARP.

I played pickelball for the first time last week and my knee still hurts a little from all the sudden stops on a concrete surface (I am a little aggressive). Have never hurt it once playing DG. And pickelball 'seems' to be marketed toward the older crowd. Hah!

Scott ended up 103rd in points standings now that the dust has settled. He had some good showings at Elite Series events with DDO and Master's Cup. It wasn't officially on tour but his Eagle's Crossing skin's performance deserves special mention too. Finished just ahead of Nate Perkins for some context. He also finished 8 spots ahead of Feldberg, but to be fair Feldberg only played MPO at 2 events it looks like.

Gotta give the man some credit! I was really hoping he'd make a feature/lead card at least once but that was always a big ask for someone 15-30 years older than most of his competitors.

He was on feature card somewhere late in the season (Pittsburgh maybe?).

Being in my 50s as well (though older), it is very encouraging to see folks like Scott and Johnny Sias (70) still playing at a high level.

I really think DG is missing out on a large potential market segment--55+. It's a great fitness activity, courses everywhere, very easy and cheap to get into, easy on the joints (unless you try to throw 500'), and a great group or individual activity. And older folks TEND to have a little more $, though they are not as enamored with individual players, so I would bet less likely to buy expensive special runs/signature discs.

Hoping to get a big contract at age 60, and be sponsored by some combination of Planet Fitness and AARP.

I played pickelball for the first time last week and my knee still hurts a little from all the sudden stops on a concrete surface (I am a little aggressive). Have never hurt it once playing DG. And pickelball 'seems' to be marketed toward the older crowd. Hah!

I'm in my upper 40s. I was turned onto disc golf by a friend in his 60s. Of the 10 or so friends I throw with very often, most are older than me, one is 70. There on down to several high schoolers. I agree disc golf could easily? gain more throwers in retirement. Might be worth throwing some money into commercials - especially amongst boomer youtube content? People who say "I saw on YouTube that…" could start finishing the sentence "disc golf is fun for people my age." (Yo Scott - market seminars to boomers)

I'm in my upper 40s. I was turned onto disc golf by a friend in his 60s. Of the 10 or so friends I throw with very often, most are older than me, one is 70. There on down to several high schoolers. I agree disc golf could easily? gain more throwers in retirement. Might be worth throwing some money into commercials - especially amongst boomer youtube content? People who say "I saw on YouTube that…" could start finishing the sentence "disc golf is fun for people my age." (Yo Scott - market seminars to boomers)
I think one complication is - throwing "easy" is more important to older throwers to avoid injury and many of the people out there trying to pull people into the game aren't necessarily a) older themselves nor b) capable of teaching the sport well, especially a lot of our newer converts.

It brings to mind my attempt to introduce my Dad to the sport in 2005, when I was a brand new zealot. I had no idea how to teach someone how to throw, but I did my best. My Dad, in his early 50s, wound up with an elbow that was sore for 2-3 days and he has had no interest in trying again. I've tried to tell him through the years that now that I understand the mechanics I can get him out there and throwing in a way that it wouldn't cause him any pain - but I turned him off quick trying to introduce him when I was such a newb.

Of course, he's also got his other sport hobbies - he ran 5Ks and played pickup basketball until just a couple of years ago, and quit playing softball in his late 50s. So he's also got so many other sports he's into - which may also be a factor that keeps folk from picking it up late?

I dunno, though. I'm just arriving at Masters age, so I really don't have a truly deep perspective.

So I bought the Pickleball magazine for my dad as a Christmas present, and I was blown away by the all-around quality. Apparently, close to retired folks and retired folks really bring the ads out. I know no one is propping up DiscGolfer magazine as a shining light to grow the sport, but seeing the difference was really eye-opening.

So I bought the Pickleball magazine for my dad as a Christmas present, and I was blown away by the all-around quality. Apparently, close to retired folks and retired folks really bring the ads out. I know no one is propping up DiscGolfer magazine as a shining light to grow the sport, but seeing the difference was really eye-opening.

That is an interesting point considering many 55+ folks still like pre-historic things like magazines (I joke, I do as well), especially while listening to my cassettes.

As this country continues to age, with the overall health of the 55+ group being better and better, the demand for outdoor activities suitable for our aging joints/muscles will just increase. I predict there will be a DG Masters tour for 50+ by 2028. You read it here first. :)

Maybe I'm off, but I don't see people choosing to try DG of their own choosing without someone giving them the invite and providing the disc.

Not saying it would never happen, just rare enough to not be relevant.

That is an interesting point considering many 55+ folks still like pre-historic things like magazines (I joke, I do as well), especially while listening to my cassettes.

Went into a normal bookstore in like forever last month. $16 for a heap of adverts and less info than a reddit page. /smh

Dropped magazines back in the late 90s already so I'm definitely not young, lol.

Been quiet for a while, but I was randomly curious what Stokely was up to. Looks like he's been enjoying playing around the world this year:
https://www.pdga.com/player/3140

With his PDGA rating climbing pretty consistently since May 2021 to a current 1013:
https://www.pdga.com/player/3140/history

Pretty inspiring to see someone get back into it in their 50s closing in on their own rating from 20 years ago, whatever the circumstance.

Between him and Sias I will never have any excuses for playing the way I do. Thanks guys...

It's crazy. I know some 50+ guys who aren't really that much worse than they were back in their heyday. Our local guru who played on lead card with Climo at worlds twice back in the day had a 1036-1027 day in MP40 at a tournament this spring and easily won it.

On the other hand, he played MPO the next day and was "down" in the 960's-970's for the day. While I'm in a different universe than this guy, whenever I play back-to-back events, my 3rd and 4th rounds usually suck big time.

Now, when you're talking about us mere mortals...I just turned 50. My current rating is 73 points lower than my peak in 2005, and dropping like a rock. I can't get off the tee anymore! I can still do everything else though. 150' on in I'm pretty good but if it's a 330' hole I'm never putting for deuce in the circle. It used to be so easy to unleash the young man's twitch muscles I had and everybody had and get easy ugly distance. There ain't no more ugly distance. I'm right at home in MA-50. Gonna be in an A-tier this weekend; wish me luck!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm off, but I don't see people choosing to try DG of their own choosing without someone giving them the invite and providing the disc.

Not saying it would never happen, just rare enough to not be relevant.

Little bit late for this, but I must be one of the rare ones. I was walking Vista Del Camino and there happened to be tournament (Shelly Sharpe) being played. While a group was waiting on the tee pad for the hole to clear, I chatted with them about disc golf and how to get started. Next I went up to Spinners On The Green, got a used putter and mid-range....eventually got hooked on this game. So, no invite for me and no disc provided....but, I didn't get ignored and had a good conversation while they waited to tee off (and I did not keep them from teeing off when the hole was clear).

((PSA: Don't suggest newbies get a used putter and/or mid-range. Newbies don't know about stability and may get a disc too overstable for them. Suggest they get a starter pack....it's te better choice))

Little bit late for this, but I must be one of the rare ones. I was walking Vista Del Camino and there happened to be tournament (Shelly Sharpe) being played. While a group was waiting on the tee pad for the hole to clear, I chatted with them about disc golf and how to get started. Next I went up to Spinners On The Green, got a used putter and mid-range....eventually got hooked on this game. So, no invite for me and no disc provided....but, I didn't get ignored and had a good conversation while they waited to tee off (and I did not keep them from teeing off when the hole was clear).

((PSA: Don't suggest newbies get a used putter and/or mid-range. Newbies don't know about stability and may get a disc too overstable for them. Suggest they get a starter pack....it's te better choice))

Kinda crazy to think of the touring pros playing in public parks. I'd bet 95% of people walking by are wondering why these goofy guys/gals are throwing frisbees for a camera while most of us would be nerding out trying to to spill our spaghetti in front of our heroes