• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seasoning Discs

dangitboy

Par Member
I usually just throw discs in regular play until they get "seasoned" or worked in a little. However, I have heard some crazy stories about how people speed up the process of this "seasoning". One example was a guy told me he put his rocs in the dryer with no heat.

Just curious if anyone else has any stories about this.

P.S. I do know that post-production disc modification is illegal I just thought it may be interesting that's all :)

I don't know...maybe some oregano would help "season" a disc. I'm willing to bet it would still taste like S%$#.:D

The most common thing I've seen is guys who fire a disc into the side of a concrete wall. I've also known guys would throw beaded discs down a street to wear down the bead on the pavement, and I also know a guy who goes all lumberjack and fires his new drivers into the side of a tree a few times.

I hit enough trees on my own, so I don't need any help "seasoning" my discs.

The most common thing I've seen is guys who fire a disc into the side of a concrete wall. I've also known guys would throw beaded discs down a street to wear down the bead on the pavement, and I also know a guy who goes all lumberjack and fires his new drivers into the side of a tree a few times.

I hit enough trees on my own, so I don't need any help "seasoning" my discs.

I have only seasoned one disc and I used the lumberjack method ... 15ft from a tree and just drive it into it a few times :D

After yesterday in Asheboro my discs are seasoned enough, I hit plenty of trees. And I still shot 3 over.....very nice day in the park. This is a great course for people like me that can't throw far.

The course I play on most is at my house. And the practice fields close to me have the same kind of ground. So to clarify... SHALE will season discs fast. If you don't mind the occasional 1/2" deep cut into the side of the disc shale works great. And so do the metal straps that hold chain-link fences together. The fence itself takes a while... but the straps can do a number on a disc really fast.

Sorry for not being very serious here... but I'm with the others who've replied. I also hit plenty of trees to season my discs pretty quickly.

Combine ground Black Pepper, Sea Salt, Paprika, Oregano, and Allspice for a great disc seasoning. For best results cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes per side.:D

For bigger gashes you can use a lighter to soften the plastic and kind of "re-mold" your edge to be smooth and round again...

Never thought of that. Would it still be tourney approved, though?

I've actually super-glued and sanded some big gashes some of my DX discs got from losing battles with shale. I haven't played in any tourneys yet, myself, so I'm not worried about the discs being legal. Plus I've replaced most of my "suprer broken in" discs with upgraded plastic.

to get a new disc broken in sometimes i will just play a whole round using the new disc for every shot. seems to work well for me

Similar to throwing into walls... I know some guys who will spike their discs into the ground over and over again. And one of my friends will use rough sand paper on the rim to make it feel like it's been played a little.

I always get the best results from just using the disc. Any attempts to artificially break in a disc tend to make the disc less controlable than normal seasoning for me.

..., and I also know a guy who goes all lumberjack and fires his new drivers into the side of a tree a few times. ...

The way my luck would have it, if I tried to intentionally hit a tree, I'd miss and send the disc flying on my first ever 400+ foot drive! With no witnesses, of course.....

Never thought of that. Would it still be tourney approved, though?

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80201-discs-used-in-play

"802.01 Discs Used in Play
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F..."

It's illegal to use a lighter on your disc. However, I think it would be tough for someone to call you out on it if you smoothed it out at home, before the round. I'm not advocating cheating. I just think its retarded to have rules that cannot be enforced.

Another solution:

Buy a disc that you like when it's new.

That would seem logical to me as well. If you have to beat your disc into submission, doesn't that necessarily mean that you should be using a less stable disc to begin with? What would be the advantages of the rough 'em up approach as opposed to originally using something less stable?

That would seem logical to me as well. If you have to beat your disc into submission, doesn't that necessarily mean that you should be using a less stable disc to begin with? What would be the advantages of the rough 'em up approach as opposed to originally using something less stable?
Who says you don't have to like the discs when new, too? The idea is to pick discs that start off on the overstable side (they don't stay this way all that long), get nice, straight and controlable when they get beat (this stage lasts a long time) and eventually become turnover discs. If the disc is straight and controlable when new (the state the disc is in for the shortest time) it will probably be squirrley when beat.

This strategy works best with putters, mids and slower fairway drivers. It's not always useful for overstable or distance drivers.

Latest posts