• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

I agree NDABRUSH, but with the absolute TRICKLE of reviews/ratings, it will take a long time for Creekside to fall. Hell, it only had 10 reviews last year. If it has 10 this year -- 5 at 4.5 and 5 at 4.0 (which seems unlikely since it's only had 3 of each in the first 30) -- it will still be in the Top 10.

To your point, I agree that people who play elsewhere (with hills, woods, etc.) might rate it lower. But Selah is so isolated, if you're going to the trouble to play there from way out of state, you probably understand that these courses far outclass the vast majority of other courses, even given their shortcomings.

Once more out state golfers review creekside, it will continue to fall. Lakeside will probably hold it's ground or at least last longer in the top 10. The only reason is because most golfers think a course must have elevation changes in order to be a five disc course. I think that it can be a 5 if the course can make up for the lack of elevation with other attributes. It is just tough for a mostly flat and lightly wooded course to be "perfect" in enough golfers eyes. As far as lakeside goes, a golfer with 750 courses played puts it in his top 3. That says a lot because it's measured against courses with more elevation available to their course designers. Just my opinion. Only time will tell.

Very true. I played both this weekend from the shorts and longs. Creek side didn't even compare to Lakeside in my opinion. Lakeside is an absolutely beautiful course where every single hole made you say "OOOOHHHH, AHHHH". Creek side had a few amazing shots, but not near what Lakeside has. Btw, Trey Duece is an amazing course as well...and will only get better over time with all the pines they've planted.

I'm really interested to see how I rate it. I don't have a ton of courses under my belt, but I've played a pretty diverse array, with some absolute top of the line ones in western PA and WV. I don't require any one feature, be it elevation or something else, but I do place an emphasis on challenge. A top level course has to be able to challenge most anyone's game. I'm not worried about Selah delivering there.

It'll be really interesting to compare Selah to the courses I've played in completely different parts of the country.

lake7approach_zpsbc3923eb.jpg

Ha ha, not mine -- a friend's. But that spot is 680 from the the long tee, so it isn't a drive. It's 370 from the short, so I suppose that's possible. But highly unlikely, especially with a beat-to-hell Stingray.

Starting day 3 with skillet potatoes, chorizo, eggs, and Shiner. I wonder if Lakeside #14 will be as bad today as it was the first 2 days. Hahahahaha.

IMG_248215679604530_zpse56d7304.jpg

If anybody is rummaging through the Pro Shop lake discs and sees my green QOLS 1.1, I'll pay you $20 total to ship it to me. That's $5 to buy the disc from them, $5 to ship, and $10 for your trouble.

Green QOLS 1.1, back is inked with a "G" and a documented ace on Lakeside #11 03/28/2014. It was lost in the water just in front (and left) of the #18 Lakeside short tee.

Thanks.

Grodney, I will be playing there on April 17th. I live in Charlotte and I met you when our daughters played in the youth league. If it's there I will bring it back with me.

Thanks TheUnderdog. They have a LOT of discs in the pro shop, and probably hundreds more after doubles this weekend -- so don't waste a lot of your time looking for it. Enjoy Selah.

p.s. I think they have them sorted by area code. Mine didn't have a phone number on it -- so I guess it would be in the "other" or whatever.

(As an aside, is your daughter playing Kids League this Spring? I think today is the signup deadline, and Gracie is still undecided. I guess you would play Reedy if she's playing, huh? We'll be at Elon if she decides to play.)

Last edited:
Starting day 3 with skillet potatoes, chorizo, eggs, and Shiner. I wonder if Lakeside #14 will be as bad today as it was the first 2 days. Hahahahaha.

IMG_248215679604530_zpse56d7304.jpg

That looks like it was delicious. Oh, wait. I know it was.

So if you could play designer, what would you do with Lakeside #14?

Analysis/Feedback: We played it 6 rounds over 4 days. 6 guys, rated 910ish to 990ish, with the LEAST experience being 14 years. Our overwhelming sentiment was: Take whatever you can throw straightest (driver, Roc, putter), and throw it as far as you can, and just hope you don't hit anything. We saw zero point in trying to lay up.

To put it another way, we all felt you needed to at least TRY to make it as far as you could on your drive, thus giving yourself a shorter 2nd/3rd shot to try to make 3 or 4. If you happen to hit a tree on your drive, you're probably not any worse off than if you attempted to lay up.

Changes: So what would you change? Remove some trees, play it from the short tee, and call it a 1-shot (par 3)? There aren't really any long-ish wooded par 3's on Lakeside, so that would theoretically add variety. Although #12 and #13 are the closest thing to "long wooded" par 3's, so that would make 3 in a row. Creating shape (such as maybe a sweeping left-to-right) with the remaining trees might help.

Or is there room behind the long tee to back it up? The map shows a creek back there, but I never looked. If you could back up the long tee a little, and remove a bunch of trees, then maybe you have a short 2-shot (Par 4) that would be reasonable. I guess that's where I'd go, if there's room. There's a cool tree formation just short of the pin, so I don't like moving the basket longer -- and I'm not sure there's much room anyway??

What do you think?

There's not much room behind the long box (creek if I remember correctly). I believe the first half of the hole is pretty fair. Once you start going back uphill it's just a crapshoot. I think more trees should be removed on the second half of the fairway making 3 separate distinct fairways similar to the first half of the hole.

I've had the best luck taking the right fairway off the long box with a putter, and landing down in the valley on the right side. From there I'll thumb/tomahawk over the top for a look at 3. I know that's probably not the way John meant for the hole to be played but it's the most consistent 3 or 4 for me.

Latest posts