• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Setting up a new pay to play course. What works Best?

$7 sounds like a good deal for 27 holes. $8.88 at Jarva in Sweden.. (for 27 holes as well). Awesome course, I wish it was closer. Any other "astronomical" fees somewhere else?

I pay $5 to play my local course (Jellystone, Colorado) all day, and an annual pass is well worth it at $50 to avoid the crowds at other local courses. I'm older (48), so i don't want to wait around for guys to take "smoke breaks" in front of me or mess around with a group of 6 taking their time. $10+ would be for an epic course or something with a ski lift.

^ Van Beuren probably has a beverage cart, etc.. that might be worth something. I could give it a try. Personaly, I would pay about 6-7 in so cal.. land is expensive here.

Blue Ribbon Pines in MN charges $5 all day. When I played Flip City in MI it was a $1 a round. These are 2 of the highest rated courses on here. Both of these courses are well worth the cost.

So will your course compare to some of the highest rated or not? Compare local Pay to Play and charge what they are if the course is as good. If it is not then charge less.

$5 a day is more then reasonable for a good course. Also yearly passes for locals at a discounted price is a must!

It comes off as extremely arrogant to me that people think they 'deserve' 20+ acres of land for two bucks, or free.

I hope I'm not taking this out of context and I did read where the OP is talking about a DG course on YMCA land. Private land is one thing.

"Public" land is another, and that's what I'm posting about.

If it's a public park, some place that is funded by taxes, it aint "free". Yeah, I know national and state parks charge entry fees and camping fees. Those places are a lot bigger and have a lot more staff and a lot more stuff than a typical DG course. There's a ton more that goes into keeping up Yellowstone than there is the local DG course up the road. And it's only $25 for a car load to get into Yellowstone, and that park is 3,468.4 square miles.

I've played one pay to play DG course. It was Trophy Club Park. A buck gets you in.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4460&mode=lf

It's a dollar. It got us some DG, a clean place to pee and rich people police to watch our truck while we went on safari looking for baskets. I'll pay it again. If it were more than $3, I'd be griping that the course wasn't better cared for.

That's just one example for your research enjoyment. :)

that is good stuff paulie. The course right now has 15 baskets in the ground and all natural tees with no way to know how to get from one hole to the next. I am not going to open/ post it up here till it is in a reasionable playing state. There is still a lot of cleaning of fairways/ greens before I would feel comfortable to open to the public.

The dg course will be apart of the YMCA and members will get to dg whenever they want as part of their membership. The pay to play part is to get a little extra money to keep up the course and probably discourage the 12 pack croud from coming and throwing trash.

Pay to play can be a good thing. I know it keeps away the riff raff. We have one, Spring Valley in Spring , TX. Its only $3 to play, and with that you get a 9-hole power course, an 18 hole finesse course, or you can play all 27 holes. You also have a Pro Shop that sells discs, and snacks and drinks. There is free course, Bear Branch, 6 miles away, and its always packed. I have talked with some people at Bear Branch, and they won't play Spring Valley, because they don't want to play. Others have said its too tough of a course. Its not a pitch and putt course by any means, but its fun to play. One of the best courses in the Houston area.

Latest posts