• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shallow rimmed discs for shorter fingers

Boneman

Hey all,

I've been having some issues with my discs catching on my fingers at point of release. The problem is most pronounced when putting, but the issue happens frequently with all my discs. I have short rather stubby fingers which I think may be part of the problem.

I recently picked up a Discraft Ringer for putts, and the lower profile of the rim does seem to feel much more comfortable with my grip. Are there any midranges and drivers that also have this feature that you might recommend?

Thanks as always.

Gateways midranges all feature a very shallow feel and every shot you can imagine. I'd suggest a warrior & an element for starters.

The volt by MVP is a shallow control driver that is very versatile.

Finally, nab a dga breaker. They're a premium ringer and are excellent driving putters.

My latitude 64 opto scythe has a very shallow rim. Sounds like what your asking for but it is quite stable. Great for forehands though if you throw that style

Any of the Latitude "Easy to use" line; Diamond, Jade, Ruby, etc.
Discraft Glide, Stratus, Comet, Meteor

Your best bet would be to head to a local disc shop to actually get your hands on discs before you purchase, but I know that's not always possible, unless you're only looking for Innova.

Discs with a "plus mold" help not to catch on your fingers also. All of the discs in my signature are shallow and, with the exception of the Stalker, have a plus mold.

It's hard to recommend discs though not knowing how you throw, how far you throw, etc. Every Axiom disc I have felt are shallow though, and about half of MVP's are.

Hey all,

I've been having some issues with my discs catching on my fingers at point of release. The problem is most pronounced when putting, but the issue happens frequently with all my discs. I have short rather stubby fingers which I think may be part of the problem.

I recently picked up a Discraft Ringer for putts, and the lower profile of the rim does seem to feel much more comfortable with my grip. Are there any midranges and drivers that also have this feature that you might recommend?

Thanks as always.

Well, generally the faster the disc, the lower the profile/depth will be. So I doubt there are any (many?) mids/drivers that will have a taller profile than a putter.

It's sort of the reason why some folks find putting with a classic Roc or Buzzz so comfortable.

Also grip style plays a role. I doubt you'll feel much difference if you predominantly use a power grip, but supposing you fan grip, well then a flatter flight plate (vs domey) should be your thing. That's more of a molding irregularity, so you will need to feel or ask for a flat disc.

Beyond this, consult the pdga approved disc spec sheet and filter accordingly.

One note, I personally feel there is a trade off between disc depth and disc glide. I believe an example of this observation would be a flat vs domey Comets.