• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

shot selection instincts.

TBpantsReaper

Before posting id like to say, i searched/seen threads with similar ideas and questions asked but the thread seems to always get taken off in some random direction or argument about whether or not gods dinner plates were molded from CE plastic.
Soooooooo.....

Shot selection: I'm sure this is the sob story of nearly every players game, but in tournaments I find im super confident off of the tee and pretty sure of myself in and around the circle. But my approach shot selection always seems to take all the wind out of my sails and has taken numerous 1020 or so rounds and squashed em down to the mid/ low 900's

I'm not sure if I get confused or lose confidence or try n convince myself to make shots I'm not familiar with, but when I'm up against a tree, 140 away from a medium guarded pin, a bajjillion shots options start circling my head and I always feel like I take the wrong option. I have a lot of usable shots in my bag but the ackward upshot always kills me.

How do you know what shot to use automatically? Or does anyone else have issues with this part of their game? I feel like its the last shot that gets practiced and maybe I just need to spend more time working on it.

I wanna start playing open but I feel like this issue is what always drops me from being able to take cash and is a painfully humbling reminder to work on controlling my own head.

I always go with the shot im most likely to make, not the most comfortable. If im worried about being short in the least I will choose the shot, then go a disc higher than what I would normally choose for the shot and vice a versa.

When your practicing in a field, pick a spot and try to hit it in weird stances and using throws you would not normally try. Its the only way I have found to really know what I can do from where.

Each shot is a different scenario but often the best choice is the one that has the highest percentage of getting you inside the circle with as close to 0% chance of hitting anything early in flight.

In other words you may have a chance of getting really close or making it if you throw backhand to the right of a tree but the best choice is a long, wide hyzer to the left with a sidearm because there's really no chance it will hit said tree.

This type of thing has been my experience lately. Go with the no-brainer every time.

5-10 shots is definitely a lot to lose just on approaches. I would go out to a wooded area and just start practicing those shots that you have trouble with.

I agree with atl scott that taking the path with the fewest trees is the way to go. Sometimes I won't even aim for the basket because there is a safe route that will get me somewhere between 10-15' with little/no trouble even if there is a route that could get me in the basket.

Also, I will throw a lot of FH in this range because it seems to be easier for me to hit the proper line because I am facing the target that I am throwing at. Get the feel for throwing a FH with a putter and a wide variety of lines are possible (I know, you said you already have a lot of shots).

When in any kind of doubt, I will FH a putter on the line that is the clearest to a point less than 20' to the basket.

I always approach a shot with a specific disc in mind. If the look is different than I thought, I will go for the disc I immediately think will be better. Then I design the shot based on the disc.

If I walk up to a shot already thinking leopard, it will be a matter of narrowing down which anny line I am going to choose because that is what I do with my leo.

Well, I would say shoot with whatever is most comfortable for you, but if you are comfortable with most shots, shoot the path of least resistance or however the wind might affect it to your liking. However, since each shot is different, those less used shots may have difficulty in finding the right distance. Shoot with confidence and shoot for chain.

I keep it simple with the tweener distances that offer some challenging obstacle and pull out the classic roc. Very predictable with just the right amount of touch.

@ OP

Does your issue stem more from actual shot selection (backhand, forehand, wrist flick, straddle, whatever) or from disc selection?

I think it's very important to separate the two.

If it's shot selection, then I'd say go with what you feel most comfortable with. If you have a lot of different types of shot that you feel iffy on, then concentrate on working on one or two until you've got them mastered. Then, only pull those shots out in the situations you find yourself having problems with.

If it's disc selection that's giving you problems, I suggest very much the same. Concentrate on practicing a limited selection of discs when you get into trouble situations/short approach shots until you feel completely comfortable with a "go to" disc. Then, only use those one or two discs when in those situations.

If you're throwing 950-1000 rated rounds, you've got the skills...you just need to get your mental game together. And by that, I mean you need to become comfortable with a limited (but consistent) number of options. Don't second guess yourself, just fall back on your "go to."

How do you know what shot to use automatically? Or does anyone else have issues with this part of their game? I feel like its the last shot that gets practiced and maybe I just need to spend more time working on it.

I don't. Usually you'll have your game plan in place for each tee shot prior to the round and inside the circle it's just putting. But for everything in between, you need to take the time to consider all your options. This to me is the most important part of the mental game.

Sometimes the "obvious" answer is not the best. Take your time, find the different lines available and go for the highest percentage option.

Concentrate on practicing a limited selection of discs when you get into trouble situations/short approach shots until you feel completely comfortable with a "go to" disc. Then, only use those one or two discs when in those situations.

:thmbup:

I would suggest using a putter.

Awful lot of words in these posts.

Personally, I look for a hyzer line; even if forehand when I am dominantly BH as the hyzer is your friend. All discs want to do it, you just have to know how to let them.

Took this to an extreme last weekend when my drive landed next to a huge bush/tree. I was 30' away from the basket on an anny with the tree obscuring the straight shot. Tree is probably 15' wide in any direction and 20' tall. I went spike hyzer with said Summit and grazed the chains. I could have gone the anny route but the hyzer was there and I trust it, and it worked as good as I could hope.

I always approach a shot with a specific disc in mind. If the look is different than I thought, I will go for the disc I immediately think will be better. Then I design the shot based on the disc.

If I walk up to a shot already thinking leopard, it will be a matter of narrowing down which anny line I am going to choose because that is what I do with my leo.

this seems wrong to me. my friends tell me my upshot is the best part of my game and i always pick the line before selecting the disc.

It sounds like you just need to practice those shots a bunch and pay close attention to how good you are with each different line. Then when you get in those situations you pick the line you're least likely to mess up.

FWIW, I find that hyzers and shallow 'S' turns tend to be the easiest and most consistent shots at those distances. Starting with those shots both forehand and backhand will get you a long way. Don't be afraid to throw them nose up, either.

I try to stand at my disc and look and find the highest percentage route to the basket. Whether it is forehand or backhand pick the shot that will get you up and down. After you know what shot you are going to take pick the disc that will help you achieve the shot.

I have been forehanding teebirds and eagles from 150 ft out where others would choose something different (mid or putter). I know I can controle those the best so I stick to what I am comfortable with.

The last key is commiting to the shot. If you are second guessing or not sure of the disc a lot of times it will end up bad. So pick your highest percentage shot, the disc that will pull the line/flight path off, and commit to the shot.

I struggled with this a lot when I first started playing. Let me preface by saying that I am not a golf player. A good friend of mine is a golfer and it took me a long time (with his help) to get used to playing the "golf shot" instead of running the basket. Any time that I have that difficult 140 foot shot, I try to remember that I need to play to the basket and not pick the line that's going to put it in the basket. After all, it is golf!!

I think that much of this stems from a "when you're a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" issue. That is, if you're most confident with one particular shot, you'll use it whenever it's remotely possible to pull off.

In my first year of DG, I used spike hyzers for even wide open approaches inside 100'. Learning to throw a straight, flat, low, nose-up approach shot without having to look away or reach past 8oclock RHBH, has shaved a ton of strokes from my game. I learned that shot by setting a basket 125' away and tossing a stack of putters at it.

In other words, if you find yourself avoiding the obvious shot, it's time to practice that shot. Or not. It's a game. And I've been beaten up and down the course by a guy who throws 50% of his shots FH rollers.

Most of this probably already mentioned...

If it's a clear upshot (reachable but outside reasonable putting range) I usually try to look at it this way. Consider the shots the you feel you can make the largest percentage of the time the give you an easy putt. More importantly look at the biggest danger and take those shots out of your head. From 150'+ actually making the shot is luck - getting close for an easy putt is skill. Taking the "if I throw it just right it might go in" approach if that doubles the possibility of roll-aways or OB is what kills many players (I'm a member of this group too often). Throw the shot you are comfortable with, seeing another player throw a great upshot sometimes makes you want to recreate it. If he did it forehand and your forehand is very weak get it out of your mind - When in doubt go to your strengths.

Don't force your throws or try to hit the first line you see. Take a GOOD look at your options and the risk vs reward. My scores started to clean up biiiiiiig time (and atleast hit consistent pars) when I started laying up more, throwing placement drives and seeing the multiple lines to the basket with their possible outcomes from will the disc skip, roll, lay flat etc and use the shot/technique which yields the highest reward but lowest risk.

Taking risks and shots you are not SURE you can make is what kills everyone's game-- but we all get lucky once in a while too :)

if you're 100'+ out from a medium guarded pin - there probably aren't that many options. most likely you have: hyzer, straight, or anhyzer/turnover/forehand. maybe an overhand if your lie is tricky.

you should always play the highest percentage shot, meaning the one that requires the least amount of 'luck' to get to the pin. i almost always play for the largest gap and try not to reach for 'miracle' lines. i am also reaching for a putter as default unless there is a lot of wind or i need a stronger fade for a hyzer or flick shot.

as mentioned before, one of the most valuable shots in your bag is that soft nose-up putter shot on straight/anhyzer lines, as well as a flex shot. one of the shots i throw the most is a nose-up anny that flies dead straight and then fades just a bit at the end. it's more controlled than a pure hyzer shot and allows you to hit a gap closer to the end of the line with a more controlled finish.

Latest posts