• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should the Aussie Open be Major?

A MAJOR?
Hi all, I'm not really the pen man, so I may use way to many words, I hope you like the story its not edited or fact checked, apologies if I piss anyone off its not my intention.
So, if it doesn't cover all then ill attempt to return once you guys have a reply, it might not be immediately because having just returned to Australia after travelling through the USA this year, there is a lot to do for Dude and for the Aussie Open, time poor.
I guess this thread poses a few questions.
What poses a Major? What are the conditions set for a Major Status? What role does a Major event such as this play in the growth of the sport in the local community?
For me, I got involved in disc golf when I was 11 years old which was about 30 years ago, maybe just over, so I feel like I'm still young at this game :).
After an extended period, away from the sport somewhere in my early twenties when beer and girls and working away in the underground gold mines took precedent, I got back in to the sport in early 2009.
From that point on I have pushed to develop the disc golf scene and the sport in general in Australia. Soon after being re-born, I put my hand up to support financially my first internal tournament as well as joining and helping form the local club in Perth to get things organised, one of my strengths to this end id started planning how could I help across the board, I'm a planning guy, a goals guy, I generally have a longer-term outlook on things, I digress.
In 2009 I cruised across to Taiwan, where I was lucky to compete in the Asia Open run by my now good friend Kuan Chen. Their I got an understanding of a bigger tournament and also had the joy of meeting up with Dave Feldberg a few other touring pros. This lead me to see how he was promoting and coaching at the Asia Tournament and how this really fuelled the locals to get involved.
Soon after this I started a plan with the local club together to help run a bigger Australian Championships in Australia, in Perth. That event attracted other pros id met in Taiwan such as Nate Doss and Val Jenkins and Manibu. We ran coaching clinics, help put together some government grants and also attracted local media. This event from the previous 2 years' events had around 37 competitors in 2008 with 7 pro players – no real internationals and no touring pros, 2009 had 41 competitors with 18 pro players – no real internationals or touring pros.
So, 2010 we ended up bring the event up to 61 competitors with 20 pro players and we had 18 international players and 5 touring pro players and this was in Perth, the most isolated part of Australia.
Early in 2011 I had returned to the Asia Open and met a few more of our sports champions amongst them was Jussie Meresmaa. Now in the previous 2 years I had been working hard trying to establish courses, alongside the local club around Perth and wed run many small come and try events to increase participation, to the same effect, you'd generate interest but without many courses people then had nowhere to play. So, when I met Jussi Kuan had teamed us up to share a room, Jussi shared his knowledge on how he used to be involved through Committee level not for profits and that had also had trouble trying to assist grow the sport and install courses but explained his new method and I immediately thought this could work in Australia, a different approach.
I again put my hand up to assist in 2011 when the Australian Champs moved to Tasmania. I progressed with having Innova put a higher level of support in as well as getting some support from my new friend Jussi, as well with the local crew, it can be difficult to maintain one great approach, so I started thinking further down the line.
That tournament in 2011 had 41 competitors, 7 internationals and 4 touring pros. It also had reduced numbers of Australians for whatever reason, Coaching clinics were run with Edge to teach kids, assistance to get them thriver was done so with the help of Innova and I believe some govt grants. All steps in the right direction when you are trying to grow a sport out of the ground.
In 2012, Geelong, I'm sure I would have been helping is some way even if it was small, id also been working in the back ground at a local level. The tournament pulled in 74 competitors, 4 international competitors no touring pro players.
In 2013 I had commenced more work on the Disc Golf Park concepts developing relationships with councils both in the West and East, Installed 2 or 3 courses across Australia at this point. We ran a test tournament (The Real First Aussie Open in January 2013). In this we tested the course for size and length and also to help convince the local sporting club that a permanent course on their property could be an addition to their community. This lead to eventually putting forth the proposal for the course and the Tournament.
I commenced assisting the team for the Australian Championships in 2013 in Brisbane, working on the grants to bring in coaches and the edge program and helping expat local Bryan Motley piece together the package through Innova again and promotion to the Internationals. This year we also paid for a Film crew to record the Tournament to try and increase coverage after the event for future events. In 2013 there were 76 with 23 Internationals and 29 pro players with 3 touring pros.
In 2014, I turned my attention to the business of getting courses in the ground and separating my business arms and my desire to make clothing for the sport of disc golf.
I employed my first staff member to assist in growing disc golf courses, At this point in time or even it started a couple of years earlier was a separation with some of the other disc golfers in the country who didn't really agree with me or how I rolled due to some personal arguments, and this rift was really creating issues in the background.
Id recently stepped out of the role as the President of the Australian Disc Golf Association (or was gently being assisted) and had been effectively pushed out of of my local club. There were many reasons for this of which I really won't go into, this created a lot of wasted energy in the background and some people just liked to make life difficult, some also don't like to see other people do what think is best for the sport and I pushed further away from those folks what I was doing was more important than small personal arguments.
In 2014 I was not involved in the Australian Championships, We had 81 competitors, 10 internationals and no touring pro players. The local contingent was spread from all states in Australia, no real effort had been placed on the Touring Pros. The local numbers in 2014 around Australia really started showing the signs of not reversing and now courses were being installed including the Installation of the Mundaring Disc Golf Park, a course that could hold a Major Event.
So throughout 2014, promotion was done in July in Japan, and Europe and in USA for the arrival of the first Major in the southern Hemisphere.
The push to have the PDGA approve a Major Status was done so with applications and commitments to long term growth with a vision of the sport built on the previous 6 years of work to get the sport to that point. In 2015 we had only given 6 months' notice to the world, but in the end the number was not the focus.
The focus was and always will be on the long-term growth that comes with this type of event. This event can assist in the exposure for the course and the country and the culture and people. It also leverages the commitment to growing the sport and assists in showing the local players, clubs, and sponsors that the sport is here to stay and we are committed to growing it from the ground up.
So, January 2015 the landing of the Aussie Open took place. It was a cultural experience and an introduction to the Australian players of a professionally run event that hosted some of the best players in the world. The purse guaranteed the top touring pros would not feel left out of pocket for a holiday in Australian and the event was focused uniquely on the culture of the Australian people.
In the end 76 competitors took place, 41 were International players of which 14 were touring pro players. The lack of the local players was not ideal, but the previous couple of years had weighed heavily on the support and they had not given theirs.
Since this event the growth of courses in this region has been fantastic, over 8 courses around the Perth Metropolitan area in the last 18 months and this in turn has led to many more people playing the sport and seeing the sport and asking questions.
The event organisers job is to put together the best event and the best experience. There are two things you cannot control, how many people come and the weather. SO
What constitutes a Major? What are the conditions set for a Major Status? What role does a Major event such as this play in the growth of the sport in the local community?
I believe it should be the pinnacle event in a region that ensures the best players are competing on the best course. It should create an environment where the local disc golf community are involved and able to view their World Champions and it should foster growth in the region. Our responsibility to the players is to ensure they are immersed in the culture, heritage, ensureing that the best players are rewarded for the effort. I have competed in the Japan Open , one of the best examples of the above. They started with about 50 competitors… Its my humble opinion and our team is going to do what we believe in, and learn.
2017.aussieopen.info www.dudeclothing.com
Chris Finn aka The DUDE, aka Finny, Aussie Champ a number of times in Disc Golf whether winning the tournament, winning the tour, and Flying Disc Champ a few times as a junior, including Disc Golf, DDC, Freestyle, MTA, Discathon, Distance. I love Disc Golf. If you read this far, go get a drink :) And thanks

This is going to be a little long, but not as long as the DUDEs post above me, thats for sure. But it definately helps make my point even more, showing the infighting that occurs over there as well.

As someone desperate to bring a PDGA major to their country I am sick to death of the lies surrounding Australian Disc Golf and the growth it is apparently experiencing, leading to the decision to give the country a Major.

The truth paints a very different story when you look at the numbers. Now that this years 'flagship event' over there has been played out it is easy to see the pattern emerging.

For starters, lets have a look at the numbers of people playing the Australian Champs year by year recently.

2013 - 76

2014 - 81

2015 - 84

2016 - 62

Thats right, after hitting a nice peak after a few years build up, the premier event in the country pulled in 62. We get that during a casual doubles afternoon around here. Also of note, this event occurred in Sydney, a town of close to 5 million people (and 1 disc golf course).

More alarming is when you look at the open players participation over those same 4 years.

2013 - 30 (and Des Reading)

2014 - 28

2015 - 19

2016 - 10

10 open players at the top event? Of those, only 4 of the top 10 were there, 6 of the top 20.

None of the top 10 Jr Boys were there, just two of the top 8 women and NONE of the top 20 masters players. Clearly, if Aussies dont even care about their current top event, why would they care about a major?

Is this even Australias top event now, as everyone would have you think? In 2016 2 other events had just over 60 participants as well, making the champs BARELY the highest attended event (by 1 player).

So I ask you all, and the PDGA, is Australian Disc Golf booming so much, it needs a major? A major that even after regos have been open for about a month and a half has 24 players, and ONE touring pro in Feldberg.

So NO, the Aussie Open should NOT be a major, not even close.

Last edited:
This is going to be a little long, but not as long as the DUDEs post above me, thats for sure. But it definately helps make my point even more, showing the infighting that occurs over there as well.

As someone desperate to bring a PDGA major to their country I am sick to death of the lies surrounding Australian Disc Golf and the growth it is apparently experiencing, leading to the decision to give the country a Major.

The truth paints a very different story when you look at the numbers. Now that this years 'flagship event' over there has been played out it is easy to see the pattern emerging.

For starters, lets have a look at the numbers of people playing the Australian Champs year by year recently.

2013 - 76

2014 - 81

2015 - 84

2016 - 62

Thats right, after hitting a nice peak after a few years build up, the premier event in the country pulled in 62. We get that during a casual doubles afternoon around here. Also of note, this event occurred in Sydney, a town of close to 5 million people (and 1 disc golf course).

More alarming is when you look at the open players participation over those same 4 years.

2013 - 30 (and Des Reading)

2014 - 28

2015 - 19

2016 - 10

10 open players at the top event? Of those, only 4 of the top 10 were there, 6 of the top 20.

None of the top 10 Jr Boys were there, just two of the top 8 women and NONE of the top 20 masters players. Clearly, if Aussies dont even care about their current top event, why would they care about a major?

Is this even Australias top event now, as everyone would have you think? In 2016 2 other events had just over 60 participants as well, making the champs BARELY the highest attended event (by 1 player).

So I ask you all, and the PDGA, is Australian Disc Golf booming so much, it needs a major? A major that even after regos have been open for about a month and a half has 24 players, and ONE touring pro in Feldberg.

So NO, the Aussie Open should NOT be a major, not even close.

Oh Dang......

My first response on this was wishy washy. But after reading through some more opinions and historical statistics I think I have came to a conclusion.

There are far too many venomous snakes and other ways to die in Australia for the continent to host a disc golf major.

The divisions changed a little in 2013...so a few more people where bumped up into open then previous years. But not enough to explain the drop from 30 to 10 though, just a part of why it peaked.

@laserface
In 2015 Aussie Open, 76 competitors took place, 41 were International players of which 14 were touring pro players, actually the field of pro players in that event was 37. The lack of the local players was not ideal, but even if you have 100 players at a league event, some leagues can get 200, some pro events are capped at 144 it doesnt mean the league event is better than the pro event.
Since the Aussie Open 2015 the growth of courses in this region has been fantastic, thanks to the same people who run that event, over 8 courses around the Perth Metropolitan area in the last 18 months and this in turn has led to many more people playing the sport and seeing the sport and asking questions, like Japan.
The event organisers job is to put together the best event and the best experience and their are guidelines.
The event team again are doing the job and the region is getting the growth thanks to the work of that team.
Will we see more Internationals than locals this time around ? Currently the field is over 50% Internationals and in the background that number is a lot higher with confirmed flights and hotel bookings not registrations.
... In the long run its most likely what happens, like the Japan Open the last 2 times it was run, only 20 spots were left for the local players as the International attendance increased, so with those numbers would the Japan Open not seem to be in the same position? But not through lack of support but because of growth of the event, it had to start somewhere but if you looked at the numbers it only is skewed as they dont offer amateur divisions at all.
It fills within the first few weeks of opening, this is because everyone knows the event fills fast, it wasnt like them for that at the start either.
@ Nate maybe it had something to do with the President up until that point in 2013...maybe not who can tell with all the numbers since then
In the end, decision for a major is in fact the PDGA. Thankfully otherwise we wouldn't see things like Japan, or Europe flourish and in turn Australia and New Zealand.

forest-whitaker-eye.jpg

I thought maybe I was being to harsh on the old Aussie Open, so I thought I would check out the course on this site to see what Mundarings reviews are like.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=6748&mode=rev

A 5 star course! Holy heck, it must be, oh no, wait a second here..............

Seems it has only 1 review FROM YOU! Yes, that's right, Mr Chief Dude himself gave A COURSE HE DESIGNED 5 out of 5. Are you kidding me? Who reviews their own course? Hardly an unbiased review, especially given the fact you gave it full marks (talk about humble).

Just sad, really really sad DUDE!

After reading all this I am reminded of Maceman and Bucket Crabs. :(

I wonder if the 2017 layout will bump #13 and #18 up to legit par 3s.

Latest posts