• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should the Aussie Open be Major?

I think it was the USDGC's second year.

That was my vague recollection too, but according to the listing on the PDGA schedule, the 1999 USDGC was a major (as was the concurrently run National Women's Championship).

I guess the counter argument regarding that event was that the folks responsible for that were very experienced tournament directors who had run a Pro Worlds just a couple years earlier, so that was their "building up in stature" process. But the event itself was brand new and had no history of its own before being given major status.

And one whose usage has always struck me as a bit odd.

Some majors are simply not as major as others, in size or money or prestige.

I'm not quite sure what the term "major" means, or is supposed to mean. But it's not terribly important to me---if one of the top events on a continent or region of the world is deemed a "major", fine.

I think David has hit the nail on the head. The use of the word "major" in disc golf doesn't have the same meaning as it does in traditional golf. The PGA isn't pushing their majors to be worldwide, instead they only host majors in the two same countries.

We have seen collegiate and World Am events labelled majors because they are the top in their group/division. International majors are much more vague, a c-tier that gets 26 players and $260 pro purse can be a given major status.

I'd like to see the PDGA make a major really mean something.

Last edited:
Steps to running a major in the US:
Years of running lower tier events building up in stature
Semi-rigorous application process

Steps to running a major in Australia:
have a tournament

(I am not trying to disparage the quality of the event or the efforts of the organizers who I am sure will put their hearts and souls into it.)

The major standards are much more relaxed internationally sure, but the PDGA has a requirement to hold Majors in more than just the US, so you either have to change the PDGA policy as a whole, or have some leeway.

(not defending, just explaining)

In 2015 it was granted in Australia because Jussi vouched (and he has the pedigree for events) for the crew.

I can totally understand how some people would view it as underwhelming because it wasn't gussied up like a typical Major...but I will 100% say that EVERYONE who attended had an amazing time. It wasn't blowing smoke, we really enjoyed ourselves.

It has the bones to be a great event, it needs a higher level of coordination between TD, staff, and volunteers to match the levels of other Majors...and I think the PDGA believes that they can get there, which is why it has been awarded Major status again in 2017.

One day we'll start using the phrase "Super-Major" for Pro Worlds, USDGC, and perhaps one or two others, so we can have a tier above mere Majors.

Ridiculous. Please don't go down that road. It'll be like buying hair gel; super hold, mega hold, super mega hold, mega super hold...

Just keep majors the biggest events and the Aussie open the Aussie open.

Last edited:
Ridiculous. Please don't go down that road. It'll be like buying hair gel; super hold, mega hold, super mega hold, mega super hold...

Well until there's another competitor, it's pretty clear that the Aussie Open will be a Major, due to the PDGA's zoning.

If I recall correctly, what I used to know as "SuperTour Events" have fallen to 3rd in the hierarchy, below the National Tour.

I've never thought of the Selinske as a major, nor the ADGC, nor the Women's U.S. Championship (though holding it at Winthrop might change that). All very big deals to the people involved, but otherwise I don't tend to pay attention, or remember who won them, like with Worlds and USDGC.

Using that argument the tournament should be the Australian Disc Golf Championships. In 2014 and 2016 this event pulled in more players than the Aussie Open, especially players from within Australia. Chris Finn and Jussi built a new course, put up a big purse and Australians did not support it like their own championships.

Precisely...it had good support but no more then the champs. If it was a homerun the first year, then it would be a hot ticket right now. Still weighing up if I will go, wish it was on the east coast.

With all this tall about livestreams and thier audiences etc...would the Aussie be a great chance for a live final rd?

- Sunday morning in Aus = primetime saturday in the US after bowl season.

- Not only night time but also dg offseason when theres not much competition for views.

- Enough big names to get a decent top card worth viewing

- Open course ideal for filming

Being a WDGT event im sure they won't....but in terms of dg audience, it would be almost perfect conditions to get a big number.

With all this talk about livestreams and thier audiences etc...would the Aussie be a great chance for a live final rd?

- Sunday morning in Aus = primetime saturday in the US after bowl season.

- Not only night time but also dg offseason when theres not much competition for views.

- Enough big names to get a decent top card worth viewing

- Open course ideal for filming

Being a WDGT event im sure they won't....but in terms of dg audience, it would be almost perfect conditions to get a big number.

... If you were standing in front of Paige Pierce promoting the Aussie Open how would you over come her concern that even if she wins first place it will not cover half of her expenses (hotel, airfare, car rental)?

I'd tell her she'll get to pet a koala, women can't resist that sort of thing.

A live feed would certainly give more disc golfers the opportunity to watch, compared to other events. That's one hurdle in live feed viewership.

Though it would still need to clear more hurdles, including the question of how many people want to watch disc golf, period, and especially at tournament pace.

Personally, I think that the way things are being run right now in disc golf for "majors" is missing the boat.

There is a reason that in ball golf the majors are such hallowed events and for the winners there is historical significance as well as huge incentive for the players career in terms of being able to keep their card, receive future invites to majors, etc. One of the biggest reasons this is possible is because there are 4 majors in every year. That never changes. They have names that never change. They are the same 4 majors every year. They have been relied upon for many many years. They are tradition. There is also a reason its almost impossible to win the grand slam. It's because the best players in the world consistently come to these hallowed events and winning just one of them carries historical significance. The Masters, The US Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Players Championship. That's it, that's all.

Disc golf is missing this boat because by moving the majors around every year and using different names, the significance of the term major is eroded until it's just another term that gets thrown around that means very little. The time to build historical significance of events in this time of growth is NOW. By bouncing around and changing things from year to year it strains the fan base and undermines the true significance of winning a major for the player base.

I think I understand what the DGWT is trying to do with its vision and mission but piggy backing on the biggest events that are already in place seems weird to me. As far as I can tell, there are 4 majors in disc golf. The European Masters, the European Open, Worlds and the USDGC. Can't we just leave that alone and let the history of those events stand on their own? They should be stand alone big time Major events and winning just one of them in your career should qualify you for consideration in the hall of fame. And of course then there will always be that discussion of who is the best player to have never won a major. When you make events like the Aussie Open "majors" the meaning of winning a major becomes eroded to the point that it no longer matters. You are pretty much throwing the whole idea of reserving a few select tournaments that are reserved as the premier and true hallowed events in the game right out the window. And that's happening right in front of our eyes right now.

Also, having the USDGC also serve as the DGWT Championship is ludicrous. It's blasphemy on a level that is hard for me to really even explain. That gold jacket rocks tho. Keep that for sure.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Not a unique idea, or a bad one, and perhaps we'll get there. But I doubt we'll call them "majors"; perhaps Triple Crown or Grand Slam or something distinct, for the 3 or 4 biggest and most prestigious events.

Where you see those 4 events as "majors", others see a different combination. 2 seem to have consensus---Pro Worlds and USDGC. After that, not much consensus.

A question I'm too lazy to research: How long as golf had it's current 4-major Grand Slam? Did they designate it, or did 4 big events just evolve to the point that they were recognized as bigger than the rest?

The "forever" part is tricky, too, because we're still growing. What if you designate 4 events as "majors", forever, but other events grow bigger than them? Someone could find some big dollars and do that it coming years. DGPT might do it.

Some good reading here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_major_golf_championships

It looks like in early times the status of golf's majors bounced around a bit. The current format of the 4 majors is said to have come to be during Arnold Palmers 1960 season.

So with that being said, I have changed my opinion and will now day that I think there is still a lot of room to evolve into something really great.

Thanks for the reply and thoughtful discussion.

I hope it will be the next few years, and think it might. Just 1 or 2 more events need to rise up to that level.

One day we'll start using the phrase "Super-Major" for Pro Worlds, USDGC, and perhaps one or two others, so we can have a tier above mere Majors.

How about "Actual Major" versus "Pretend Major" to keep it all clear?

Latest posts